Altea (アリティア Aritia, Aritia in the Japanese version) is an island kingdom on the continent of Archanea in the games Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, Mystery of the Emblem, and Shadow Dragon and is the country which the games' hero, Marth, hails from.
Altea was founded from a small island town of Archanea by Anri, a hero who killed Medeus, the Shadow Dragon. Its royal capital is named after him. After Anri died and his younger brother, Marcelus, became king, the Kingdom of Gra was formed over an issue of inheritance within the royal family, though the two nations would initially retain a close relationship.
Due to its formation, Altea existed as a vassal state for Archanea and held great loyalty to the Archanean royal family. While the nation was fairly small, under Cornelius, and later Marth, its knights were known for being of the some of the most skilled on the Continent.
Roles in Fire Emblem GamesEditIn Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light/Shadow Dragon, Altea is invaded by Dolhr, Medeus's kingdom, after Medeus is resurrected. King Cornelius tries to fight them off with the help of Gra; Marth finds out that Gra betrayed them, killing King Cornelius and stealing Falchion. A severely wounded Cain is the only survivor of the battle, having been tasked to bring Prince Marth his father's last words. During this time, Altea's princess, Elice, is captured, and Marth takes refuge in Talys. Through the events of the game, Marth and his allies are able to recapture Altea and eventually slay Medeus, freeing the continent of Archanea.
In Mystery of the Emblem, Altea fights against the corrupted kingdom of Archanea, and Marth has to again free his country from Medeus, who is revealed to be still alive. After the events of the game, Marth reunites Altea with Gra and rules as king. Shortly afterwards, Marth would merge Altea with the other nations of the continent, creating the united Kingdom of Archanea.
- See: Altean Royal Lineage
The oldest ancestors known to the royal family are Anri, the founder of Altea, and Marcelus, his younger brother. Their most notable descendant is Marth. His descendants eventually became the royal family of Ylisse.
- Anri - Founder and first King of Altea, slayer of Medeus.
- Marcelus - Anri's younger brother and second King of Altea.
- Marius - A former King of Altea and father of Cornelius. Grandfather of Marth and Elice.
- Cornelius - King of Altea, as well as Marth and Elice's father. He was killed by Gra's ambush.
- Liza - Queen of Altea, as well as Marth and Elice's mother. She was killed by Morzas.
- Marth - Altean Prince and hero of both the War of Shadows and the War of Heroes. Eventually rules over the entire continent.
- Elice - Altean Princess and wielder of the Aum Staff.
- The Avatar - An Altean Knight and Marth's confidant and friend. Commander of the 7th platoon.
- Katarina - A reserved trainee tactician of the Altean Knights who depends on others.
- Cecil - A competitive member of the 9th platoon of Altean knights who joins the 7th platoon.
- Roderick - An aspiring Altean Knight of calm demeanor.
- Luke - An arrogant member of the 7th platoon.
- Ryan - An archer of Altea and the younger brother of Gordin.
- Merric - A noble who studied magic in Khadein under Wendell and a childhood friend of Marth and Elice.
- Malledus - Marth's advisor during the War of Shadows.
- Cain - A reckless Altean Cavalier, known as the Great Bull. Later assumes command of the Altean Knights.
- Abel - A sensible Altean Cavalier, known as the Black Panther. Later falls in love with Est and opens a shop with her.
- Frey - A Cavalier who was among Marth's personal escorts out of Altea and canonically sacrificed his life so that Marth could escape.
- Jagen - A veteran Paladin and Cain, Abel, and Frey's superior. Later takes Malledus's position as Marth's advisor.
- Gordin - A masterful Altean archer who looks younger that he actually is.
- Draug - A sincere armored Knight of Altea who serves as Marth's shield.
- Norne - An Archer and volunteer soldier.
- Samson - A gladiator who temporarily resided in a village in Altea. Lover of the Gra princess Sheema, despite the earlier Altea-Gra conflict.
- Arran - A Paladin who succeeds Jagen in training new recruits despite his illness.
- Maclir - An old Altean knight who was a friend of Jagen's, and grandfather to the Avatar.
Hollyhock was part of the official seal of the Tokugawa Shogunate. Rose of Sharon, whose proper name is 'hibiscus syriacus,' is the national flower of South Korea and symbolizes immortality. In the Christian Bible, the phrase 'Rose of Sharon' is the translation from Hebrew given to several unidentifiable flowers and has become a common poetic reference in English literature. Sharon is a plain on the Western side of Israel between the Samarian Hills and the Mediterranean Sea.