“The next morning comes too quickly. Lyn has fought back the bandit's attack. Now, she rushes for the border of Bern. If she can reach it, Lycia itself is not far off. For a moment, Lyn stops to imagine the face of the grandfather she's never seen.”
Beyond the Borders is Chapter 5 of Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade.
Before reaching Lycia, Lyn's group is attacked once more by bandits, this time led by Bug. At the same time, the Ostian cleric Serra and her escort, Erk, stumble upon the battle. Lyn talks with them, and they agree to team up to defeat the bandits quicker. Afterward, Serra and Erk say goodbye and leave, but Sain stops them and recommends that they remain with them, as their magic and healing powers are sorely needed. Serra agrees, much to Erk's dismay. However, if Serra is felled during this chapter, she will instead send Erk to join Lyn, stating that she's too hurt to continue travelling, and lies down where the battle took place and waits for her wounds to heal. (This decision is strange, as Serra's personality is very much self-centered and conceited, and she would not be expected to send away her only protection and lie defenseless and wounded in the wilderness for a long period of time.)
Magic is introduced in this chapter. The game explains how magic users can attack from afar or up close, but are usually weak on defense. Healing is also explained in this chapter.
- Bug (Boss): Brigand L9 w/ Steel Axe
- 1 Brigand L2 w/ Iron Axe
- 1 Brigand L1 w/ Iron Axe, Iron Sword*
- 2 Archers L1 w/ Iron Bow
- 2 Mercenaries L2 w/ Iron Sword
* denotes an item dropped upon death
- If Erk gets a critical on the archer and kills him, the archer will still be there. This glitch is very rare and hard to make happen. Attacking the archer will deal no damage, and he will die after the battle.
- This is one of the few chapters in the entire series in which the player's army actually outnumbers that of the opposing force, reinforcements (or lack thereof) considered.
- If either Serra or Erk (or both) are felled during the battle while they are still green units, a cutscene excluding them from the party will be seen after the chapter, but they will join regardless. It can be assumed that these scenes were put in the game in case Erk or Serra were lost during the battle after being recruited and wouldn't come back, but because they fell while they were green they will still join on the next chapter.