“I have lived as a knight, and I intend to die as one. There are no other roads left for me to walk. Farewell, my princess. I shall never forget our days together at the palace, few though they were. I pray you meet someone who can bring joy back into your life.”
—Camus to Nyna in Chapter 20 of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.
Camus (カミュ Kamyu), later known under the aliases Zeke (ジーク Jīku, Zeak in the Japanese version) and Sirius (シリウス), is a character who appears throughout the Archanea Series. He is the leader of the Sable Knights of Grust. His king decides to ally with Dolhr, and despite his sense of honor and integrity, he obeys his country and fights against Marth. He is said to be the most able warrior alive. He is 29 years old in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
War of ShadowsEdit
When Grust forged an alliance with Dolhr, he did not protest, unlike General Lorenz. When Nyna was sent into the Sable Order's custody, and when Dolhr ordered for her execution, Camus took her to Aurelis so that Hardin could protect her. When Archanea was looted, one of the Three Regalia, Gradivus, was given to Camus. Unfortunately, for incurring the wrath of Medeus by helping Nyna escape, he was put on a short leash. When Nyna explained all these events to Marth, he knew Nyna wished for Camus to be spared, but even when Marth and Nyna asked him together to join the Archanean League, he denied the request and fought Marth's army, where he was seemingly killed.
Gaiden/Echoes: Shadows of ValentiaEdit
In reality, he survived, but lost most of his memories, and ended up in the continent of Valentia, washed ashore in Rigel and found by Tatiana, a Rigelian saint who he would later fall in love with. In a years time, he was named "Ezekiel", Zeke for short by King Rudolf, forged a common trust with the King and rose to become a high ranking general in the Rigelian army. Before the war started, Rudolf told Zeke to look for a boy with a mark on his arm, and if he finds that person, he should fight alongside him, much to his confusion. He opposed the war with Zofia but nevertheless followed orders. When fellow Rigelian commander, Jerome, disobeyed the King's orders by committing raids against villages, such as Rigel Village, Zeke attempted to stop him. However, this led to Tatiana being captured by Jerome's fellow traitor, Nuibaba in order to force him to fight for them.
Should Alm's army kill Nuibaba, Tatiana is rescued. Upon seeing Tatiana among Alm's forces, Camus immediately turns on Jerome's army. Zeke thanks Alm for saving his beloved, but states that he refuses to fight against Rudolf whom he owes a great debt to. However, when Zeke noticed a mark on Alm's left hand, he leaves the Rigel army and joins Alm's army, as, according to Rudolf, such brand belonged to the person who would save Rigel and Valentia as a whole. After the war, Zeke lived a happy life with Tatiana and unbeknownst to her, he recovered his memories.
War of HeroesEdit
He would return to Archanea as the masked knight Sirius the following year, when he heard of Hardin's ascension to throne and fall to madness, and of his appointment of the corrupt General Lang to rule over the occupied Grust. He first appeared to Ogma when the latter was protecting the Grustian royal children Yuliya and Jubelo from Macedon's Vikings, and is asked to join the Altean army fighting Lang. While he notes that he is not promising anything, he joins the army once the Vikings are defeated. Later on, due to his true identity, he was able to snap Nyna out of her mind control from Medeus despite denying to her that he is Camus. She protests, but he states that she is tired and should return to Marth's side, followed by an apology which she overhears. After the war he vanished, claiming to Nyna that he was returning to his country and that someone was waiting for him there.
As a knight, Camus is someone who is honourable and righteous, yet stays loyal to his nation despite his own feelings on certain actions. Even when he often does what he can to help the commonfolk, he is unwavering when it comes to loyalty to his liege and stance as a knight, as his reasoning for not joining Marth in the War of Shadows was because of his loyalty to his country and the belief he would disgrace his knighthood should he go against it.
Such loyalty often works to his own detriment, however, as he isn't necessarily happy to wage war against Zofia in Echoes, but feels too indebted to Rudolf to go against his orders.
That is not to say his emotions don't take over his judgement at times, as he freed Nyna despite knowing he would be commiting betrayal, and in his supports with Tatiana, while he wishes she didn't have to fight, when she says she'd rather fight with him he doesn't tell her to leave, and in fact he promises to protect her.
Zeke is a high-end Pre-Promoted unit that Alm can recruit near the end of his route. He starts with average to above average stats in everything but Luck and Resistance, and has excellent growth in everything except for Strength, which is average(and is offset by the fact that he starts starts with high base Strength). If you choose to level Zeke up, he will wind up very close to Mathilda in overall power. He is one of the better characters in the game, and he can hold his own as soon as you recruit him.
- Nyna - 10%
*Dropped if defeated
Sirius is a prepromoted unit, which can hamper his usage due to prepromoted units known for having low bases/growths, but while Sirius's bases are indeed low, his growths rival or are even better than other cavaliers / paladins. However, he is useful later in the game with his high weapon ranks and will usually end up with considerable HP and Strength and will have a lot of Skill and Defense for a Paladin. Keep in mind that he is needed for the Final Chapter to recruit Nyna.
As Enemy Unit (DLC)Edit
*Enemy unit only, joins unequipped
Personal Max StatsEdit
- See also: Zeke/Supports
- Sable Knight
- A knight who's devoted to his motherland, Grust. Wields the lance Gradivus. Appears in Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem.
|Gradivus||400||15||1||Enables counterattack regardless of distance if this unit is attacked.||✯✯✯✯✯|
|Name||SP Cost||Effects||Charge Cost||Rarity|
|Rising Thunder||150||Before combat this unit initiates, foes in an area near the target take damage equal to (unit's Atk minus foe's Defense or Resistance).||5||✯✯✯|
|Growing Thunder||300||Before combat this unit initiates, foes in a wide area around target take damage equal to (unit's Atk minus foe's Def or Res).||5||✯✯✯✯|
|Grani's Shield||200||Neutralizes "effective against" bonuses.||✯✯✯✯|
|Spur Atk 1||50||Grants adjacent allies Atk+2 during combat.||-|
|Spur Atk 2||100 (Required:|
Spur Atk 1)
|Grants adjacent allies Atk+3 during combat.||-|
|Goad Cavalry||200 (Required:|
Spur Atk 2 or
Spur Spd 2)
|Grants cavalry allies within 2 spaces Spd/Atk +4 during combat.||✯✯✯✯|
“With this lance, Gradivus, I am all but invincible. A pity you had to waste your life.”
—Camus's Battle Quote from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
“Nyna... my beloved one... fa... re... we...”
—Camus's death quote from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
“Nyna... Fare... Well...”
—Camus's death quote from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
“Forgive me, Tatiana…”
—Zeke's death quote from Fire Emblem Gaiden
- Marth: General Camus! Can you hear me? It is I, Marth of Altea! I must speak with you! Please, show yourself!
- Camus: Prince Marth. I am Camus of Grust.
- Marth: General, I have no wish to fight you. You know this battle is pointless; surely, you must!
- Camus: So long as Grust continues to support Dolhr's ambitions, it does not matter what I know or think. I am a knight; I have a duty to fight for my motherland's glory till the very end.
- Marth: But surely—
- Camus: Prince Marth, there is nothing you can do or say. I am party to your father's murder. Are you a man or not? Draw your sword.
- Nyna: Stop! Camus!
- Camus: Princess Nyna...
- Marth: Nyna, what are you doing here?! This is the middle of a battlefield!
- Nyna: I know, I know... But please, Camus, listen to me... Camus, you gave me back my life. And Marth, he gave me back my kingdom. I do not wish to see that the two of you fight. It is...it is unbearable. Please, Camus, fight with us. We need your strength. ...I need it.
- Camus: I am sorry, Princess.
- Nyna: What? But, Camus!
- Camus: Were my heart my master, I would do exactly as you say. But what sort of knight abandons his kingdom—his king!—now, when they need him the most? Would you have me toss away the life I have built as if it meant nothing at all?
- Nyna: No, Camus, I... I don't know...
- Camus: I have lived as a knight, and I intend to die as one. There are no other roads left for me to walk. Farewell, my princess. I shall never forget our days together at the palace, few though they were. I pray you meet someone who can bring joy back into your life.
Gaiden (As Zeke)Edit
- "In the midst of a violent battle, his memories returned.
However, perhaps for the sake of Tatiana, whom he had fallen in love with,
Or perhaps because his past overflowed with great tragedy,
There was much he never revealed..."
Mystery of the Emblem Book 2 (As Sirius)Edit
- Masked knight Sirius
- After the war he vanished without speaking a word...
New Mystery of the Emblem (As Sirius)Edit
- Mysterious Knight
- After the war, Sirius left without saying a word...
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (As Zeke)Edit
- (If Tatiana is alive)
- The fires of war had illuminated the dark recesses of Zeke's memory. But he loved Tatiana too much to burden her with his tortuous past, so he chose to bear it in silence as they lived out their lives together.
- (If Tatiana is dead)
- The loss of Tatiana, the woman who had loved him deeply and unconditionally, shook Zeke with grief. He abruptly vanished from Valentia shortly after the war ended, and while some claim to have sighted him in Archanea, none of those sightings were confirmed.
Camus is illustrated in the trading card game with the following cards:
Camus is a Basque surname. In folklore, Camus was a Scandinavian general who fought the Scots at the Battle of Barry. The name Camus derives from 'Camuston', the location of the Camus Cross.
Of the fan translated names for his Gaiden appearance, "Sieg" means victory and "Zeke" is the short form of the name Ezekiel ("God will strengthen"), a prophet from the Bible.
Sirius is the most prominent star of the greater dog constellation, Canis Major, and is the brightest star in the Earth's sky (excluding the Sun). Its name comes from the Greek word Seirios ("scorcher").
- Camus shares his English voice actor, Travis Willingham, with Lon'qu, Brady, Garon, Anankos' Dragon form, and Ogma in Fire Emblem Heroes.
- Camus, alongside the Whitewings, has made the most appearances in the Archanea Series, appearing more than even Marth, Caeda, Nyna, and Hardin.
- Before being encountered on the battlefield, Marth can encounter Camus in a village during Chapter 14: Land of Sorrow. He gives Marth the Thoron Tome which he instructs Marth to give to Boah. In the event recap of Shadow Dragon this scene is named "Mysterious Knight".
- His age is given as 26 or above in the novel by Takayashiki Hideo.
- His artwork for both Shadow Dragon and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia depicts him wielding the Gradivus.
- Even though Camus normally has blond hair, one of his One Hundred Songs of Heroes card depicts him with brown hair.
- All of Camus' official artwork since Shadow Dragon has depicted him standing in the same pose.
- In Fire Emblem Heroes, Camus' Grand Hero Battle map is based on a portion of Shadow Dragon Chapter 20.