“I am Clair. The young man may address me as 'Lady Clair', or 'milady'.”
—Clair in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Clair is a Pegasus Knight of Zofia, and the younger sister of Clive, who was captured by Desaix's men. She was found by Alm after he and his army stormed an enemy fortress. After the war, Tobin and Gray fight over her, although she eventually marries Gray.
A headstrong and fearless young noblewoman, Clair has an overbearing nature, which is her one big flaw, not that she pays it any mind. She is also a cheery and sociable individual who loves to interact with any and everyone. She values her impression on others and speaks in an extremely formal and often eccentric manner.
Though she’s close with her elder brother Clive and childhood friends with fellow knight Fernand, Clair doesn’t have much of an opportunity to interact with the more common people of Zofia. As a result, she rather desperately wants to know more about other aspects of common daily life.
She is shown to have a small crush on Alm in Gaiden, joking that Alm was the one she really wanted when Gray won her over. However, in Echoes, Clair and Alm's relationship is generally portrayed as platonic on both ends, as she backs off once she witnesses how close Alm and Celica are. The two become very close friends as the game progresses.
Clair can be found in a jail cell in the first fort you encounter in the game. Talk to her to recruit her.
Clair is a classic case of a character that starts out weak, but after a few levels they wind up holding their own and eventually wind up being great units. This is commonly the case with Pegasus Knights, and Clair is no exception. She starts off doing low damage and you will need to feed her experience for a few levels before she comes up to task. Though she will inevitably end up with very low Defense, so it might be a good idea to give her a Javelin.
When considering all of the Pegasus Knights in Gaiden, Clair is very agile but fragile. Catria and Est are both strong all rounders whose balance between Speed and Strength usually makes them the most offensively potent, and Palla is strong and durable but slow for a Pegasus Knight.
Lance - D
*Enemy only, joins unequipped
Personal Max StatsEdit
- See also: Clair/Supports
Clair is a pegasus knight that joins Alm after he frees her from the dungeon after capturing the Southern Outpost. She joins at level 1 with low base stats for the point in the game she is recruited, but she is the only natural flier that Alm will acquire unless he make Faye or a reclassed female unit into a pegasus knight. While her combat isn't impressive upon her first recruitment, her high speed growth will quickly allow her to double attack most of the enemies present in Alm's route, especially since she is fast enough to double attack most enemies using the Ridersbane acquired after capturing Zofia Castle. Upon her eventual promotion to falco knight, she will also deal effective damage against terrors, though in Alms route terrors are only present scarcely throughout the game.
Despite her uses, Clair is not flawless. Her starting durability is quite mediocre, especially on hard mode when she faces effective damage from bow using enemies throughout the game. Her attack is also very low thanks to her class, and without effective weaponry she has difficulty notably damaging enemies. It also takes her quite some time to promote into falco knight, as she needs to level up 11 times due to the high level of her promotion.
- A pegasus knight with the Deliverance. Clive's younger sister. Secretly loves Alm. Appears in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
“Everyone... protect Alm...”
—Clair's death quote in Gaiden.
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Edit
- (If Gray is alive)
- "She gave into Gray's persistence and reluctantly got together with him.
"Awww, it was Alm who I really liked..."
- (If Gray is dead)
- "Oh, Gray. To tell the truth, I was going to let you win..."
Alone, she lived on in regret for the late Gray."
Echoes: Shadows of ValentiaEdit
- (If Gray is alive)
- "As a knight of the One Kingdom, Clair worked hard on behalf of the continent. In time, Gray's tenacity won her over, and she became his wife and then a mother. But Clair never stayed grounded—she and her pegasus continued to race across the sky, gawkers be damned."
- (If Gray is dead)
- "Gray's death left Clair feeling betrayed and alone, but she joined the knights of the One Kingdom and contributed greatly to their growth. The people were enamored with her melancholy beauty, which was a splash of color amidst the mostly dour men of the Brotherhood."
Clair is illustrated in the trading card game Fire Emblem Cipher with the following cards:
Clair, or Claire, is a given name of Latin/Viking origin via French; the name could mean "clear" or "famous". The word still means clear in French in its feminine form.
- Clair has blue hair in her in-game portrait in Fire Emblem Gaiden and her artwork in The Complete. However, in the game's manual and in Fire Emblem Awakening (probably to match from the game manual artwork), she has red hair. Now, in Echoes, she has blonde hair, most likely because she is Clive's sister, and to differentiate her from fellow Pegasus Knight, Catria.
- Curiously, the resources for the Fire Emblem Awakening DLC chapter The Golden Gaffe has placeholder portraits for Clair, cropped straight from her game's manual. This may or may not imply she was to have a proper DLC Einherjar appearance, similar to Eldigan.
- In the Japanese version of Echoes Clair uses the pronoun Watakushi, which is considered to be very formal and high class.