“I'm currently on my way to Blaggi Tower. It's on the island just northwest of here. I'm of Blaggi descent. If I pray at our holy tower, the truth will be revealed to me. I plan to tell His Majesty all my findings. Sir Sigurd, you've nothing to worry about.”
Claud (クロード Kurōdo, translated Claude in fan translations) is a playable character from Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. He is the duke of Edda Castle and a priest of the Blaggi Church. Being the direct descendant of Blaggi, he is the inheritor of the Valkyrie Staff.
Claud is introduced alongside his admirer Tailtiu when they meet Sigurd while they are traveling to Blaggi Tower to discover the truth behind Kurth's death. In his first scene with Sigurd, he informs him that he and Byron have been accused of murdering Kurth and thus have been branded as traitors. Later, Claud arrives at the tower and reclaims the Valkyrie Staff. He also learns that Lombard and Reptor are the people behind Kurth's death. After leaving, he encounters Sigurd on in a battle against the Orgahill Pirates and enlists in his army alongside Tailtiu.
After Sigurd flees to Silesse, Claud returns to Grannvale in an attempt to inform King Azmur of the truth behind Kurth's death, but he is silenced by Reptor and Lombard, whom of whom declare him to be a traitor. Following this, he is forced to flee to Silesse, where he reunites with Sigurd.
Claud is presumed to have perished at the Battle of Belhalla. This is supported by the events of Fire Emblem: Thracia 776, in which Father Sleuf of the Blaggi Church claims to have communicated with his spirit in the Blaggi Tower.
He is believed to be Sylvia's older brother, although they could merely be distant cousins instead. Both of them possess Blaggi blood, and if he marries her, both of her children will inherit major blood.
Claude is a very kindhearted and soft-spoken man who is also rather wise and refined in his manner of speech. He is well-known for advising and comforting those in need, earning him admiration and respect from all who know him. He also appears to be rather innocent, as seen in his first conversation with Sylvia, in which he expresses polite offense towards her flashy dancer garb.
|Starting Class||Holy Blood|
(With Holy Blood Bonuses)
Claud arrives late in the first generation, but he comes to you with some strong staves in the Valkyrie Staff and Fortify Staff. The Fortify Staff allows him to heal multiple units in a radius around himself and the Valkyrie Staff(exclusive to Claud in the first generation) allows him to revive dead units. While Claud's potential to heal many units in a single action is powerful, he will generally have trouble getting maximum value from the staff due to his low Movement, barring him from effectively activating the staff among several injured units. If Lachesis has promoted, she will be able to more effectively utilize the Fortify Staff and it may be a good idea to sell it to her.
Claud isn't very effective as a fighter as he has no skills and has very low HP and Defense, but he can still deal moderate damage due to his respectable Magic stat. He is somewhat unique in that he has the highest Resistance in the first generation as well as great Resistance growth, making him exceptional at fighting Mage units(as long as they aren't bosses wielding Holy Weapons).
Father Overview Edit
Claud is an interesting pick for a father. He has Blaggi Holy Blood, giving his children improved growths and +1 to staves. He has the strongest possible Resistance growth, making his children good at standing toe to toe with Mage units. While it can be somewhat interesting to have physical children with strong Resistance growth, the low Strength tradeoff and not inheriting any weapons probably isn't worth it. However, Claud's main weaknesses as a father are his growths not complimenting physical children as well as his complete lack of skills.
Claud is best paired with Sylvia. Erinys is a solid choice. Edain is a very flawed but alright choice. The rest should generally be avoided due to a lack of Pursuit/skills, undesirable growth rates, or no inheritable items.
- Sylvia: While Claud doesn't have a large impact on Lene's potential, he doesn't negatively impact her either. Coirpre, on the other hand, is well suited to Claud's stat growths and Claud's Holy Blood will allow Coirpre to inherit and use the Valkyrie Staff.
- Erinys: Fee will suffer some minor downsides from this pairing as she doesn't inherit any skills and her Strength growth will be on the low side, a stat she really needs. Ced, on the other hand, is an excellent match for Claud's growths and he is the only unit aside from Coirpre capable of inheriting Claud's Valkyrie Staff.
- Edain: Lester will be made almost entirely useless by this pairing, as he will inherit no weapons, have no skills, and terrible growth rates for a physical unit. Lana, on the other hand, gets well-suited stat growths and access to A-rank staves immediately, allowing her use of the Rescue Staff and Fortify Staff immediately.
In Chapter 3, Claud may speak to Sigurd, but nothing will result of it.
In Chapter 4, Sigurd may speak to Claud, but nothing will result of it.
In Chapter 4, after Thove Castle is captured, Sylvia may speak to Claud, resulting in her gaining 100 love points with him.
In Chapter 5, if Claud and Edain are lovers, he may speak to her, resulting in her gaining the Rescue Staff.
In Chapter 5, after Phinora Castle is captured, if Tailtiu/Sylvia and Claud are lovers, his lover may speak to him, but nothing will result of it.
- Deirdre: N/A
- Ethlyn: N/A
- Edain: 150+3
- Ayra: 200+2
- Lachesis: 50+3
- Erinys: 100+3
- Sylvia: 190+1
- Brigid: 50+4
- Tailtiu: 120+3
- Claud is clairvoyant. In Chapter 5, if he is paired with Edain, he will accurately predict the outcome of the Battle of Belhalla, in which everyone will be wiped out. He decides to join the battle anyway, as there is apparently no way this outcome can be changed.
- In the Oosawa manga, Claud performs the ceremony in which Lachesis is promoted into a Master Knight.