“We are knights... If the king orders an attack, we must oblige.”
—Douglas in a support conversation with Igrene
Douglas (ダグラス Dagurasu) is a playable character in Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. He is the Great General of Etruria, and is very loyal to his country. Douglas is also the adoptive father of Larum. He first appears as an enemy, but if he is left alone he will become a playable character in the next chapter, and you will access the gaiden chapter for that level. Douglas was the first person to know that Elffin was truly prince Mildain and helped him escape to the western Isles with Larum, on the ship owned by Geese. After the war, he retired to live a peaceful life, with Perceval succeeding him as Great General.
In Chapter 16, the enemy Douglas will not attack Larum or Elffin. Either can talk with him, but he will remain an enemy.
- See also: Douglas/Supports
Douglas can be a decent wall if Barthe, Bors, or Gwendolyn were not used. Despite having low movement, a trait typical of the General class, he is probably best known for going the distance, no matter how far. He has weak growths in everything but HP, but has a strong starting strength and defense with a high HP, so he can be almost as good of a wall as Perceval can. A good chunk of the enemies in Sacae and Ilia cannot even hurt him. He will have a tough time against magic users though. His hit rate can be lacking at times, as well as his speed. Douglas has fast supports with Elffin, Perceval, Cecilia, and Larum, and those supports can give him a much needed boost in avoid and critical. If you did not want to deal with Bors and Gwendolyn's weak starts and want someone like Barthe but with better accuracy, Douglas can prove to be useful.
"This won't be easy..."
—Final Chapter Quote in The Binding Blade
“Ngh! I... I miscalculated...”
- Douglas - Lionhearted General
Although at one point he retired from the military to live in peace, Douglas continued to receive requests from the Etrurian Court to come back. Unable to refuse, he returned to the palace to lead the great Etrurian Army once again, leaving behind many legends that would be told for centuries to come.
- According to a Japanese gaming news website, Douglas landed 57th place out of 80 in the character popularity poll for Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade.
- Douglas is a level 10 General in chapter 16, but when he joins your party in the next chapter he becomes level 8 although his other stats remain the same.
- Douglas is one of only two characters in the game to support with someone from both routes in a path split being both dancers, the only other character being Gonzalez with the pre-promoted unit you get from the path split.