Dual System is a mechanic in Fire Emblem: Awakening that allows two adjacent allied units or Pair Up units to team up in battles. The lead character will battle normally but the supporting unit can boost certain stats, give additional attacks, or shield an ally in battle. The activation of the latter two are determined by the two unit's support levels and a specific stat. When in battle, only the lead character will be attacked unless the support character Dual Guards. However, the supporting character will never take damage.
Dual Support activates every time a battle starts. The lead character receives a boost in stats (Hit, Critical, Hit Avoid, and Critical Avoid) from the supporting unit. The stat bonus received depends on the total support rank, which depends on the number of allies adjacent to (or in Double with) the active character and their support levels.
- A support level of "none" counts as a support rank of 1. C, B, A, and S support levels count as support ranks of 2, 3, 4, and 5 respectively.
- Support ranks are added for multiple characters so long as the character attacking or is attacked is adjacent to an allied unit or is in a Pair Up.
- If the active or support character has the Dual Support+ Skill, the support rank is boosted by 4.
- The maximum support rank possible is 12.
Dual Strike (Dual Attack in the Japanese version) is when the active character attacks there is a chance that the support character will perform a follow up attack. Support characters ignore weapon range as long as the main character can attack in proper range. Thus a supporting Archer can attack an adjacent enemy as long as they are partnered with a character that can attack the adjacent enemy. The Supporting character's attack will not activate Counter but will be affected by other skills like Axebreaker and Pavise. Support characters cannot activate their attacking skills like Lethality and Ignis.
- If the support character damages the enemy with a Dual strike, they will gain experience and weapon experience
- However the lead unit will gain the boosted EXP if the support character defeats the enemy.
- The rate of activation is calculated by the two unit's support levels and their skill stat.
- If the lead or support character has the Dual Strike+ Skill, the activation rate is boosted by 10.
|Support Level||Dual Strike rate (%)|
|None||[(Lead & supporting unit's skill stat sum)/4]+20|
|C||[(Lead & supporting unit's skill stat sum)/4]+30|
|B||[(Lead & supporting unit's skill stat sum)/4]+40|
|A||[Lead & supporting unit's skill stat sum)/4]+50|
|S||[(Lead &supporting unit's skill stat sum)/4]+60|
Dual Guard is when an enemy attacks the active character, the support character can push the active character out of the way and block the attack, nullifying all damage.
- Dual Guard will negate the effects of Lethality.
- If the lead or support character has the Dual Guard+ Skill, the activation rate is boosted by 10.
- The rate of activation is calculated by the Pair Up unit's support levels and their defense or resistance stat depending of the type of attack
|Support Level||Support Block Rate (%)|
|None||[Lead & supporting unit's defense or resistance stat sum/4]|
|C||[Lead & supporting unit's defense or resistance stat sum/4]+2|
|B||[Lead & supporting unit's defense or resistance stat sum/4]+5|
|A||[Lead & supporting unit's defense or resistance stat sum/4]+7|
|S||[Lead & supporting unit's defense or resistance stat sum/4]+10|
- In the English version of the Pair Up trailer, Dual Guard is mistakenly listed as Support Block and Dual Support is listed as Support Boost.