Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Earth Dragon (地竜 Chi ryū) is an enemy-only Dragon class that is introduced in Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi. A class of Dragons aligned to the element of earth, the Earth Dragon either spews noxious fumes of toxic Breath or harnesses the power contained within Earthstones to launch attacks on its foes.
During the golden age when Dragons ruled over Archanea and mankind was just beginning to come into existence, Earth Dragons were revered as one of the most powerful of the Dragon families, rivaling even the Divine Dragons in might. However, as time went by, the Dragon civilization started to collapse when the birth rates fell, and dragons also began to degenerate into madness from their own power, turning into feral beasts.
This prompted the Divine Dragon Ruler Naga to propose that the Dragon tribes should accept their fate and let humanity rule the continent, as they join them by shedding their dragon forms in the form of Dragonstones to take on human forms, which would help them survive.
This enraged many members of the Earth Dragon tribe, who saw humans as parasitical insects who were their inferiors in all aspects, and thus refused to take on human forms out of sheer pride. This would ultimately lead to their downfall, as they continued to degenerate, until most of them had become nothing but mindless beasts that began to attack humans. One Earth Dragon, Medeus, who was the prince of the Earth Dragon royal family, chose to take on a human form, being the sole Earth Dragon to avoid degeneration.
This led to the Divine Dragons intervening in an attempt to defend humanity, bringing about a great war between the two dragon tribes. It was during this war that one of the Earth Dragons that had not yet succumbed to the degeneration, Loptyr, had met an ambitious bishop that hailed from Jugdral named Galle, who wished to acquire the great power of dragons. Seeing that the war would end with the Earth Dragons' defeat, Loptyr formed a plan to continue terrorizing humanity while not succumbing to the eventual degeneration. Forming a blood pact with the bishop, Loptyr secretly ended up possessing the human and entered the new continent, where he would form a malevolent Empire that would terrorize the continent for centuries.
Eventually, the Divine Dragons won the war and Naga had all the feral Earth Dragons sealed away under the Dragon's Table, and to ensure that the Earth Dragons were never roused from their slumber so they wouldn't ever again terrorize the humans, forged the Shield of Seals from one of her fangs.. She also charged Medeus to safeguard the seal.
History in the SeriesEdit
In Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi, the Earth Dragon is the exclusive transformed form of the final boss, Medeus. It does not exist as a standalone class.
In Mystery of the Emblem, it is a seperate class which Medeus transforms into in Book 1. In book, the class is assumed by a number of generic enemies that appear mostly in the final chapter of Book 2. Both versions of the class attack using their Breath.
The Earth Dragon is again the personal transformed class of Medeus in Shadow Dragon, who appears as the final boss in the Endgame. This iteration of the class employs the power drawn from Earthstones for combat purposes.
In Shin Monshō no Nazo, the Earth Dragon class is, like its Mystery of the Emblem predecessor, no longer unique to Medeus, and is instead the class assumed by a number of generic enemies that mostly appear in the final chapter. This iteration of the class releases despairing fumes of Dark Breath in order to damage its foes.
In Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi and Mystery of the Emblem, the only Earth Dragon, Medeus, halves the foe's attack power (thus making them vulnerable to normal weapons, although not by much) unless weapons such as the Divinestone and Falchion are used, which makes them formidable units. However, in all games, they are weak against the Falchion and Mist Breath.
- There has yet to be an Earth Dragon to harbour a friendly outlook towards humanity due to most of the species going mad or possessing utter contempt for humanity in general.
- Medeus was the only Earth Dragon capable of becoming Dark Dragon.
- However, it is believed that Loptyr also managed to become one from his blood pact.
- In The Art of Fire Emblem Awakening artbook, the Fell Dragon Grima is presumed to be descended from the Earth Dragons.
- While Medeus is said to be the only Earth Dragon who assumed a human form, a generic Earth Dragon Manakete is represented in the trading card game.
- In the data for Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Tsurugi, the name "Gaia" appears alongside Wyvern, Naga, Salamander and Basilisk. Since the other names are all the formal names for the Dragon tribes, it can be deduced that the Earth Dragons' clan are also referred to as the Gaia Tribe.
- Despite how it took nearly 600 years for the weakened seal from an incomplete Fire Emblem to take effect for the Earth Dragons to rise back up, the fact that the Fire Emblem was incomplete for 1000 years after Grima's first defeat at the hands of the First Exalt, and no Earth Dragons appeared would indicate that Earth Dragons were sealed elsewhere, or are all dead.