Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
“That's right. And then I dropped it and SPLASH!! Right in it went...it wasn't in the water long, but those pages were totally illegible...”
—Ewan in a support conversation with Saleh
Ewan (ユアン Yuan) is a playable character in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. He is Saleh's student, the younger brother of Tethys, and part of Gerik's troop. Born in Jehanna, Ewan is a sage-in-training with much potential, according to Saleh. He is the third and final Trainee unit, more exactly a Pupil.
He is quick-witted, excitable, and enjoys playing practical jokes on Saleh. Ewan also appears to enjoy brain teasers and riddles, as shown in his support conversations with Ross. He is troublesome and keeps causing accidents which Saleh does not like; at one time he "accidentally" threw Saleh's magic tome to the river. Also, in a support conversation with Tethys, Tethys gets him to admit shaving half of a man's mustache off, and putting a frog in another man's boot.
Anima - E
*55% in the Japanese version
- From Mage
|Item Required||Promoted Class|
|Guiding Ring or Master Seal||Sage|
|+40 D D|
- From Shaman
|Item Required||Promoted Class|
|Guiding Ring or Master Seal||Druid|
|+40 D E|
- See also: Ewan/Supports
As a trainee, Ewan's subject to a peculiar niche, joining vastly underleveled, a problem exacerbated by his late time of joining. He also qualifies as an Est archetype, meaning he joins extremely underleveled but has good growths, making him useful if he is used. This means if you intend to use Ewan, you should be prepared to spend some time leveling him up in the Tower of Valni or through a similar device such as the arena, or simply feeding him kills he could not achieve on his own. A common misconception is that having more levels to go through makes trainees superior units, however, simply put, they tend toward predetermined stat averages, as with any other unit.
It can be hard to train him, due to him being recruited midway through in the game, however, if the player does get him to level 10, he can be the only dark magic user that is recruitable in the game, aside from Knoll. After his level is maxed out, he is easily one of the most powerful units in the game, regardless of which class you have chosen. His magic, speed, skill and luck are among the highest growing stats of any unit. His luck caps quite early, making him a good boss fighter.
His options for ending promotions are the most varied of any character, ranging all of: Sage, Mage Knight, Druid, Summoner, and once you've cleared both Ephraim's and Eirika's stories, his own unique Super Trainee class.
- Mage Knight is the only path that gives Ewan a mount, making it his fastest moving class, and the mobility on a unit with healing capability can be convenient. His constitution is higher than with his other classes, except for his druid class. However, the stat caps of the Mage Knight are low. He will almost certainly max his magic as its cap is only 24, compared to 29 as a Druid, 28 as a Sage, and 27 as a Summoner.
- Sages and Druids could be thought of as the basic foot units of the magic world, both offering two types of magic and a staff. Both have access to Anima, Sages adding in Light magic, and Druids using Dark, making the choice, mostly, a question of which magic type you need, though with all of the choices for Sages, it is probably Druid (but, with the Enemy control glitch, one could teach a sage dark magic, and give them the entire weapon triangle, giving them advantage over the Druid if the super trainee class has not been unlocked).
- Summoners are primarily there as a backup utility class, sending in summoned phantoms to attack enemies and soak up blows, and while any character's stats have little bearing on this class's primary function, it is notable that the stats of the phantoms themselves are at their lowest when summoned by Ewan.
When appropriately leveled, Ewan can prove to be a competent magic user. His stats are well suited for any of his classes, though as a Summoner, Knoll is the more consistent choice, as his Phantoms have better distributed stats.
If one has managed to complete both Eirika's and Ephraim's routes, the player can access his Super Pupil class, where Ewan gains the flexibility of the Trinity of Magic by being able to use anima, dark, and light magic as well as higher stat caps superior to that of a Sage or a Druid, regrettably missing the use of staves otherwise shared by all magic units. Considering that staves are missing from the Link Arena to begin with, the Super Pupils versatility and caps could make it a highly volatile class for the situation, being able to counter any magic user, having potential access to any S ranked tome, and being able to use the specialist dark tomes.
When trying to decide what unit to promote to, just keep in mind Ewan will max out his Resistance stat very early, possibly before he promotes out of Mage or Shaman, making him ideal for taking on magic users.
“I'm sorry, Teacher... I never--”
—Ewan's death quote
- Ewan, Enthusiastic Student (あどけなき魔道 Adokenaki madō)
Ewan continued his studies, modelling his life after the teaching of Saleh. Eventually, his education branched of into different paths. His insatiable curiosity led him on a trip to explore the world.
- (A Support with Saleh)
Master and student returned to Caer Pelyn to study in peace. Ewan worked hard, and in time, his power grew to rival Saleh's. As equals, the two continued their studies together and expanded their knowledge ever more.
- (A Support with Amelia)
After the war, Ewan and Amelia set out, as promised, on a trip around the world. Their deeds along the way made small legends in the regions they visited. In time, Amelia gave birth to a daughter, and they settled down.
- Ewan is one of the very few characters in Fire Emblem who can actually lose weapon rank when he promotes (if the player promotes Ewan from Pupil to Shaman, he loses his Anima rank).
- Ewan is also one of the few male members of the Est archetype.
'Ewan' is an anglicized form of the name 'Eoin' which is Irish for 'born of the yew tree'. Yews are long-lived poisonous evergreens which have come to connotate both death and immortality.
The Yuan Dynasty, which began when Kublai Khan proclaimed himself emperor of China, were the successors to the Mongol empire started by Genghis Khan.