“I'm not fit to fight for anyone.”
—Gerome in Paralogue 11
Gerome (ジェローム Jerōmu, Jerome in the Japanese version) is a playable character in Fire Emblem: Awakening. He is Cherche's son from the future. Gerome can potentially be the brother of Morgan. His birthday is September 1st. He is voiced by Orion Acaba in the English version.
In his paralogue a bandit, Morristan, entered the Valmese Wyvern Valley to round up Wyverns to sell. Gerome is approached by a local villager to help, but he refuses. However, Chrom's army arrives to help the villagers. Cherche enters the battlefield and the two eventually talk, though Gerome initially refuses to fight, Cherche manages to convince him to at least fight for this battle. After the battle Cherche talks to Gerome to introduce Minerva to his wyvern mount. As Cherche compares Minerva to his wyvern, she discovers that the two are identical, in fact, they are the same Wyvern. Gerome shows her his ring, her exact same ring. Gerome wishes that the two never encountered each other as he only came back in time to release Minerva back into the wild. When Cherche asks why, Gerome refuses to lose his parents a second time, but Cherche commends him for being so strong despite losing his parents. For the time being, Gerome joins Chrom's army.
After the war, Gerome settled in Wyvern Valley. People saw him as distant and contemplative.
In his parents' supports he initially refuses to interact with them. With Cherche, she asks him to train her to ride Minerva better. He also reveals that his parents in the future were out fighting to protect their country, but left him all alone, and by the time he was finally able to understand their actions or what they were doing, they were already dead. Gerome slowly warms up to his mother but still calls her by name. Though on some event tiles with her, he will call her Mother. In his support with his father, his tough facade slips to reveal tenderness, though mostly regarding Minerva, which his father uses to tease him a bit. In the final support he is finally fed up with his father's teasing and tells Minerva to eat him. However the wyvern refuses to eat his father since she accepts that he is her family. Gerome understands to stop being as hostile and calls him Father, though only for that one instance. In his support with Lucina it is revealed he lent her the mask that she used to hide her identity.
Gerome thinks meddling with the past is not a great idea and that destiny cannot be changed. His supports reveal that he is overly shy, and wears a mask and acts on his own to conceal it, though he passes this off as a method to prevent enemies from reading his thoughts. Along with his tendency to distance himself from others, he tends to get lonely. Gerome refuses to accept that the present versions of his parents are the same as his own. Gerome will always refer to them by their first names, though he will occasionally call them "Mother" and "Father" in their supports and during certain event tile quotes. Like Cherche, Gerome shares a close bond with Minerva, affectionately nicknaming her Minervykins, and has inherited the ability to understand what Minerva is feeling by her shrieks. He gets the worst sleep out of everyone in the army.
Base Stats (Before Inheritance)Edit
|Starting Class||Level||HP||Str||Mag||Skl||Spd||Lck||Def||Res||Move||Skill||Weapon||Starting Items|
|Wyvern Rider||10||13||8+2||0||4||8||5||5||1||7||Strength +2|
|Axe - C||Steel Axe|
- Note: These are his absolute base stats. The actual base stats follow this formula: [(Cherche's current stats - Cherche's class base stats) + (father's current stats - father's class base stats) + Gerome's absolute base stats] / 3 + Gerome's class base stats
- Note: These growth rates are for his default class.
- Note: These are the default growth rates.
- Note: This is without Aptitude taken into account
- Morgan (Female Morgan can also be his sister)
- The Avatar (Female)
- Gerome's Father
- The Avatar (Male) (Can be Gerome's Father)
- Morgan (Only if Gerome is his father)
- Wyvern Rider - Promotes to Wyvern Lord or Griffon Rider
- Fighter - Promotes to Warrior or Hero
- Priest - Promotes to War Monk or Sage
Inheritance from Cherche
Gerome cannot be classed as these, but he can inherit a skill from them.
The Avatar as Father
Frederick as Father
Virion as Father
Stahl as Father
Vaike as Father
Kellam as Father
Lon'qu as Father
Ricken as Father
Gaius as Father
Donnel as Father
Gregor as Father
Libra as Father
Henry as Father
- Dark Mage
- "Minerva, must you pick up every little... Wait-what do you have there? Let me see." (item)
- "I've stitched some holes in our clothes. ...Sewing is a hidden skill of mine." (exp)
- "I snuck in some practice. You'd think I would be beyond that by now..." (weapon exp)
Relationship Event TilesEdit
- "I hate having time alone with my thoughts. How do you distract yourself?" (free time)
- "You look thrilled. Did Minerva like you when you petted her?" (happy)
- "We should team up and fight the enemy together. Two are more powerful than one." (team up)
- "Do you have any dreams, friend?" (dreams)
- "I go where no one can find me. I do not wish to create ties to this world." (free time)
- "No, it's simply...heartnening to have someone's ear from time to time." (happy)
- "As you wish. But it will be a temporary alliance. Do not get too cozy." (team up)
- "Only of returning to the future from this illusory world I inhabit now." (dreams)
Asking - ChercheEdit
- "Challenge me, Cherche, wyvern to wyvern. No doubt we’ve developed our own styles." (train)
- "Mother, I saw your Minerva attack someone. Should I be worried?" (concern)
- "Cherche, I often see you at the town shops. Is there something I might buy for you?" (gift)
- "Mother...I mean, Cherche. What was your life like before I came here?" (story)
Replying - ChercheEdit
- "All right. I admit, I have wondered what you are truly capable of." (train)
- "Thank you, but you should look after yourself first." (concern)
- "Just money for Minerva’s food will do. She eats five times as much as other wyverns." (gift)
- "I mostly cared for Minerva in the future. She took to me rather quickly—sooner than wyverns usually do. You were so shocked! ...No. Not you—not some illusion. My real mother. And she’s dead now. ....We shouldn’t have brought this up." (story)
Asking - FatherEdit
- "Challenge me, (Name). In the future, I could not defeat my father, but here..." (train)
- "(Name), is that a wyvern bite? Don't tell me Minerva nipped at you." (concern)
- "(Name), I realize I should treat you more like a father. Can I buy you a gift?"(gift)
- "(Name), tell me more about your days before I arrived." (story)
Replying - FatherEdit
- "A challenge? If you like. In fact, I could use just such a distraction." (train)
- "Trying to be fatherly? I am just fine. You can worry about your own business." (concern)
- "How about a male partner for Minerva? ...What do you mean, “impossible”?" (gift)
- "You're some nerve, trying to pry into my private life. Trying to know the future! How about I ask you a favor instead? Promise me you won't let Cherche fly too high after giving birth to me. She will fall and have terrible headaches the rest of her days." (story)
Asking - MarriedEdit
- "I love you, (name). No matter what befalls us, these feelings will not change." (love)
- "(name), you look lovelier every moment. How am I to focus in battle?" (compliment)
- "What is that you've got there, (name)? It's very unusual." (gift)
- "Stay by my side, (name), where none can harm you." (promise)
Replying - MarriedEdit
- "I know. And I love you, too." (love)
- "It pleases me to hear that from the only woman who matters." (compliment)
- "Very well. But if I do fall, promise you won't go back in time to attempt to change it." (promise)
- "This is a jewel Minerva had. Would you like it? I think it would suit you." (gift)
Asking - ChildEdit
- "Morgan, tell me if you need anything. You are my child - I would know you better." (gift)
- "Challenge me, Morgan. We must see if the son surpasses the father!" (train)
- "Morgan, are you feeling all right?" (concern)
- "Morgan, what was I like in the future from whence you came?" (story)
Replying - ChildEdit
- "A partner for Minerva? I doubt you'll have much luck catching a male wyvern." (gift)
- "Trying to study my technique? You'll find it's difficult to copy. But as you wish." (train)
- "I am in good health. Never fear. You needn't get so worked up." (concern)
- "I certainly can't believe I father you. I go through great pains not to leave a mark. ...But until recently I lived in my own future. Would you like to hear about it? It may not jog your memory, but I am still willing to make time." (story)
- "You seem pleased as well, Minerva." (6+ stats up)
- "This changes nothing... but it does feel good." (4-5 stats up)
- "It's a start." (2-3 stats up)
- "...Hmph. Fate is feeling stingy today." (0-1 stats up)
- "I've flown about as high as I'm likely to reach." (0-1 stat up, most stats capped)
- "...Anything to attain greater power."
- "Only buy what you need, okay?" (buying)
- "Sell whatever you like, I don't mind." (selling)
- "Craft me a weapon not even Minerva could bite in half." (forging)
- "I often wonder if meddling with the past is the right thing to do?" (misc)
- "Something about today makes me feel that I will do great things." (surge)
- "Good morning, Avatar. Taking a morning breather?" (morning)
- "Avatar? Taking a break now?" (midday)
- "Evening, Avatar. I'm only here to get Minerva's wyvern feed." (evening)
- "Go to bed, Avatar." (night)
Greetings - Married Edit
- "Hello, Avatar. You're quick to rise today." (morning)
- "Hello, Avatar. Where are you off to today?" (midday)
- "Hello, Avatar. Is it evening already?" (evening)
- "Hello, Avatar. You ought to get some sleep." (night)
Cherche's future son. He has concerns about meddling with the past and wears a mask to minimize interactions -- but like the other children, he wants his parents back. The last to fall asleep at night. Born on September 1st.
“From today onward we’ll hone our edges, together. We’ll carve a path to happiness through whatever fate may bring.”
—Gerome's confession quote.
Final Chapter Edit
“We lost to the fell dragon once. Do not grant fate a second victory!”
—Gerome's final chapter quote.
“We have wrestled destiny itself into submission!”
—Gerome's quote after Grima was defeated by Chrom.
“You showed me we all have the strength to best our fates. Don't tell me now that it was all a lie, Father!”
—Gerome reassuring the Avatar for their choice if he is his son.
“You changed our future and gave me a brighter one. With you, I feel I have a choice in shaping the events to come.”
—Gerome reassuring the Avatar for their choice if he is her husband.
“He/She showed me that I have a future. That destiny can be defeated. We have to believe we can alter destiny once more and bring him/her back. ”
—Gerome's quote after the Avatar's sacrifice of killing Grima
The Golden Gaffe Pre-BattleEdit
“Pickpocketing? Hmph... How petty can you get? I have a greater purpose than punishing pond scum in this godforsaken plane. Die quickly so I can return to more sensible pursuits.”
—Gerome's pre-battle quote.
EXPonential Growth Pre-BattleEdit
“I imagine Minerva would find you to be a most excellent playmate. Alas, this is not playtime. I must cut you down where you stand.”
—Gerome's pre-battle quote.
Infinite Regalia Pre-BattleEdit
“Why does Minerva cry out in your presence, fiends? Have you put some spell upon her? The last time I heard her screetch so sadly was when my parents fell...”
—Gerome's pre-battle quote.
Five-Anna Firefight Pre-BattleEdit
“I know the fear and anguish of having to pray for a loved one's safe return. I also know the agony of losing one's family. I know it all to well... I've never been the rescuer type... But this time, I'll do what I can.”
—Gerome's pre-battle quote.
Summer Scramble Pre-BattleEdit
“This heat is unbearable. I can't think straight, and I'm sweating like a— ...ARGH! Sweat in my eyes! And I can't get to it because of this damn mask! *Sigh* If you wish to flee, brigand, now's you chance!”
—Gerome's pre-battle quote.
Hot-Spring Scramble Pre-BattleEdit
“Those enduring lives of hardship need opportunities to heal their weary souls. I cannot let you miscreants deprive these poor people of so vital a place. ...It's time for you to disappear back into the steam.”
—Gerome's pre-battle quote.
- "Keep it together..."
- "Clean this up..."
- "Win this..."
- "Stand firm."
- "Over here."
- "Not today!"
- "Pay attention."
- "This is farewell!"
- "All must end!"
- "Embrace your fate!"
Partner Defeated EnemyEdit
- "That was mine..."
- "Don't fight my battles..."
- "Accept your fate..."
Defeated By EnemyEdit
- "Fate is...cruel!"
“This was my...destiny...all along... Now I go...to join my parents...”
—Gerome's death quote after recruitment (classic mode)
“Damn, they aren't fooling around... Time for me to get out of here...”
—Gerome's retreat quote after recruitment (casual mode)
- Gerome - Masked Rider
- Gerome and Minerva set out for Wyvern Valley. Many saw the rider and mount through the years, though most described the man as distant and contemplative.
- Gerome and the Avatar
- Many wrote of Avatar's legendary exploits, but accounts of her origins and character varied. Scholars, poets, and bards agreed on one thing alone—she loved her husband, Gerome, above all else.
- Gerome and Lucina
- Gerome and Lucina were married and settled down near Wyvern Valley. While her husband never minced the few words he had to say, Lucina understood, and the two built a happy life.
- Gerome and Kjelle
- Gerome and Kjelle were married and settled near Wyvern Valley, which Kjelle soon refashioned into her ideal training ground. Many claimed to see her running uphill in full armor for days on end.
- Gerome and Cynthia
- Gerome and Cynthia were married and settled down near Wyvern Valley. Astride her pegasus, Cynthia labored endlessly to concoct more dashing ways for her husband to make an entrance.
- Gerome and Severa
- Gerome and Severa were married and settled down near Wyvern Valley. Severa had a knack for landing mercenary work, and as a fighting duo, she and her husband became known throughout the land.
- Gerome and Morgan
- Gerome and Morgan were married and settled down near Wyvern Valley. While Morgan's memory never returned, she didn't really seem to miss it, and the two lived out their days most happily.
- Gerome and Noire
- Gerome and Noire were married and settled down near Wyvern Valley. Noire was said to be nervous around the wyverns and rarely left her husband's side.
- Gerome and Nah
- Gerome and Nah were married and settled down near Wyvern Valley. The wyverns bowed to their new dragonkin mistress, and the couple became the first true lords of the valley.
Jerome probably comes from Saint Jerome. Gerome is a French variant of the name.
- Gerome's birthday is the same day that Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 was first released in Japan.
- On some event tiles, Gerome reveals his skill with sewing, similar to his mother. Presumably, Cherche taught him to sew in the future.
- Gerome shares his voice actor, Orion Acaba, with Kellam.
- Gerome's official artwork depicts him wielding a Silver Axe.