The Grado (グラド Gurado) Empire is the largest individual monarchy in the continent of Magvel. Throughout the course of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, the Empire is led by Emperor Vigarde and (later) the Demon King Fomortiis, under the guise of Prince Lyon.
Grado is divided into urban and agricultural sections. The Emperor rules from the Capital city of Grado Keep, deep within the country. Many fringe cities line the edge of Grado's borders; many of these are comprised of farmland. There are many lakes which border Castle Renvall in the Renais-Grado border at the northern edge of the country. The Za'albul Marsh is in western Grado, along with the port city of Tai'zel.
Grado has the most powerful military in Magvel, due in no small part to its Imperial Three, Generals Duessel, Glen, and Selena. At the war's beginning, they are supplemented by another three Generals: Caellach, Valter, and Riev.
Grado's military has a large amount of Fighter and Shaman units, befitting of Grado's Sacred Twins, the axe Garm and the dark magic tome Gleipnir. They also have a wide array of Soldiers, Cavaliers, and Archers, making for a well-rounded army. However, the most notable features are their Wyvern Riders and Shamans. Using the high mobility of Wyvern Riders and Cavaliers, and the heavy firepower of Shamans, Grado's military force can easily overwhelm other countries', save for Frelia.
The country's eponymous founder, Grado, was one of the Five Heroes who sealed away the Demon King 800 years past. Before the events of the game, Grado housed the Fire Emblem, which was the Sacred Stone that carried the Demon King's spirit. The "S" rank dark magic tome Gleipnir, and "S" ranked black axe, Garm, are the Sacred Twin weapons of Grado, once used by the nation's founding hero.
According to a support between Natasha and Knoll, it was predicted by Knoll, Lyon and some other researchers through a spell that a quake will destroy approximately half of Grado within five years of the events of the game.
If Ephraim's route is chosen by the player this occurs in the epilogue, and is hinted at in the story, by Ephraim encountering a small earthquake when he first enters Grado, however, if Eirika's route is chosen the oncoming earthquake is never mentioned outside of the support conversation.
Characters from GradoEdit
- Amelia - An inexperienced young soldier from the village of Silva
- Melina - Amelia's mother who was saved by Duessel from bandits
- Natasha - A cleric with knowledge of the evil plan to destroy the Sacred Stones
- Cormag - A Wyvern Rider and Glen's younger brother
- Duessel the Obsidian - A general of Grado with a strong sense of honor
- Emperor Vigarde - The emperor of Grado and Lyon's father
- Prince Lyon - The prince of Grado and the best friend of Eirika and Ephraim
- Selena the Fluorspar - A general of Grado with undying loyalty to Vigarde
- Glen the Sunstone - A general of Grado and Cormag's older brother
- Valter the Moonstone - A general of Grado who desires nothing but to kill
- Knoll - A shaman who researched the Dark Stone alongside Lyon
- Saar - A commander of Grado posted at Serafew
- Tirado - A general of Grado and the aide of Valter
- O'Neill - A squad leader in the Grado imperial army
- Novala - A shaman who serves as Riev's aide
- Murray - A cavalier and Tirado's lieutenant
- Breguet - A knight who takes Tana as a hostage
- Gheb - A commander of Grado in charge of Fort Rigwald
Grado is Italian for "grade", although its usage varies. However, given the different personalities and intentions shown from characters hailing from the empire, the word degree fits this description better, if one were to also base the empire's desire for expansion, hence the name.