“Me, I can’t imagine giving my all for a gig that doesn’t pay. No one asked you to solve this mess— let alone paid you—yet here you are. Seems like your job is a tougher one than I’m willing to take on. Makes me wonder if the gods are really worth all that trouble.”
—Kamui to Celica in Echoes
A Mercenary from a distant nation hired by Valbar, Kamui used to live with his family and worked with grazing animals. However, they got into a scuffle with another tribe and lost, which led them to settle in a town.
After Barth is defeated, he joins Celica's party. After the war, he joins Jesse in building their own country in the lands that once belonged to Grieth. If Jesse is dead, he founds the country in his place.
He has a carefree and easy-going personality and is a freedom-loving drifter who hates being tied down. In Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, it is shown that he has a deep fear of Necrodragons. His quotes also indicate that he likes money, and works as a mercenary to get it.
In Chapter 2, if he survived the previous battle, talk to him at the Pirate's Fortress.
In Celica's route, she gains access to three Mercenary units: Kamui, Saber, and Jesse. When considering the three Mercenary units that Celica can obtain, they can generally be simplified into 3 types. Kamui is the all-rounder Mercenary with even stats, Saber is the durable, defensive Mercenary, and Jesse is the late recruit with the best base stats and growths making him the most dangerous. An optional, Pre-Promoted Sword Fighter, Deen, is also available to recruit. Deen is best described as fragile and aggressive.
Kamui is one of the better units in Celica's route. He has average or above average growth in every stat. He has good starting stats other than his Luck and Resistance. His Resistance will be fixed in later promotions as the Dread Fighter class gets some of the highest Resistance in the game. He will also get increased Move as he promotes to Sword Fighter, and then Dread Fighter. He has excellent Speed growth and will wind up as one of your fastest units, Double Attacking virtually every enemy. His only real downside is that his Strength is somewhat low, as is common of his class. This can easily be offset with a good Weapon, though. He is useful from the time he is recruited all the way until the end of the game.
Base Stats Edit
Personal Max StatsEdit
Growth Rates Edit
- See also: Kamui/Supports
Death Quote Edit
“Gah. Geez, I'm such an idiot~”
—Kamui's Death Quote in Gaiden
Recruitment Conversations Edit
“You're joining up with this lot, Valbar? Interesting... Well, it's your call—I don't have a preference either way. Oh, but let me ask you one question: Do you have Seraphim magic? If not, then you'd best stay clear of the Seabound Shrine. Necrodragons are the one thing I absolutely refuse to tangle with.”
—Kamui's recruitment conversation in Echoes
“I can't believe that damn fool Valbar is dead. What happens now? Not to be crass, but we had a contract, and now there;s no way to collect.. ...Say, any chance you lot want to hire me on? ”
—Kamui's recruitment conversation if Valbar was killed by Barth
Level Up Edit
- "Apparently I can get even stronger."
- "Either I've got an eagle eye, or the enemies are lazy as hell."
- "Hey, luck is at LEAST half skill!"
- "...Hrm? No, I guess not." (1 stat up)
- "If I got any stronger, it'd be boring." (Near stat capping)
Class Change Edit
- "I don't really get it, but long as it works, I guess I don't have to."
Battle Quotes Edit
First Turn Selection Edit
- "Heh, feelin' good!"
- "I'll get by." (almost half health)
Enemy Dodges Edit
- "No way!"
Enemy does one damage Edit
- "Aww, wanna try that again?"
- "Whoa, close one."
Enemy Misses Edit
- "Aw, wanna try that again?"
Being Healed Edit
- "Oh. Thanks."
- *sighs* "And I'm back."
Used Healing Item Edit
- "This smells lethal!" (disliked)
- "Eh, it's edible." (neutral)
- "Thanks for that." (liked)
- "Hey, that looks good!" (loved)
Critical Hit Edit
- "You can fall down now."
- "Alright, alright."
- "You ready?"
- "Say good night!"
Finishing Blow Edit
- "Wide open!"
Enemy Defeated Edit
- "I'll do whatever I'm paid to."
- "Tough luck."
- "Too easy."
- "I'm just in it for the money."
- "All right! Bottoms up!"
Nearby Ally Defeated Enemy Edit
- "Now that was impressive!"
- "Damn fine wok."
Nearby Ally Below Half Health Edit
- "Don't wait to get that healed."
Summary Screen Edit
- "I love it when victories are easy!"
- "That was more of a workout than I wanted."
- "I guess death comes for us all..." (an ally dies)
Death Quote Edit
“Ugh... Is this...where it ends? Anywhere's the same, I suppose... Just back to the earth...wherever I fall...”
—Kamui's death quote on Classic mode
- (If Jesse is alive)
Together with Jesse's group he works hard towards patching up the new country.
- (If Jesse is dead)
In the former territory of Grieth, he built a new country. Afterwards, he became known as the Desert Mercenary.
Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Edit
- (If Jesse is alive)
Intrigued by Jesse's idea, Kamui helped to found a kingdom of mercenaries, and lived there happily for a time. In the end, however, his wanderlust prevailed—one day he went for a stroll and simply vanished, never to be seen again.
- (If Jesse is dead)
Kamui established a new kingdom of, and for, mercenaries in what was once Grieth's territory. Relations with Valentia were favorable, with Kamui often aiding the king in times of need. In later life, his efforts earned him fame and respect as "the Steel Amidst the Sand."
Kamui, or kamuy, is the word for a spiritual or divine being in Ainu mythology and is similar in concept to the Japanese Kami, or god.
- Kamui showed up in an April Fools gag in the official site which claimed a new Fire Emblem game in the style of the 8bit originals would be made. This fake game would star Leon, Valbar, and Kamui in a setting based on medieval Japan.
- Kamui shares his name with the Japanese default name of the Avatar from Fates.
- Kamui shares his English voice actor, Bryce Papenbrook, with Awakening's Henry.
- In a support conversation with Leon, Kamui is misunderstood by Leon to be homosexual.