“Perhaps you think so now, but we both follow the way of the sword... All paths of the sword lead to one place.”
—Karel talking to Rutger in a support conversation.
Karel (カレル Kareru) is a playable character in Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade and Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade. He is a Sacaen swordmaster who has had two titles over the course of his career: the battled-crazed Sword Demon (剣魔 Kenma), and the sage-like Sword Saint (剣聖 Kensei).
The Blazing BladeEdit
He lives only to find challengers worthy of his blade and will kill opponents in battle without remorse or hesitation. To obtain the infamous Wo Dao, he murdered his entire family, with the exception of his sister, whom he saw as no threat at the time. His feats — including fighting armies alone and slaying a wizard that could freeze blood in a person's veins and killing a stone giant who was three times the size of a regular man — have earned him infamy across Elibe, as well as the title of "Sword Demon", revealed in a Support conversation with Dart. He is Karla's older brother and also taught Guy swordplay.
The Binding BladeEdit
Karel becomes the uncle of Fir, the daughter of his late sister Karla, after her marriage to Bartre. He retired from active combat and traveled the land with a new nickname, the "Sword Saint", and resolve, having finally found peace in himself after many years. He appears to dislike the title he was given, claiming it is a false name, perhaps because of guilt for his past actions. Bartre married Karla, which makes Karel and Bartre brothers-in-law. He has no real interest in the overall state of the world around him, only joining the fight on behalf of his remaining family.
Karel enters the game as a level 19 Swordmaster and has some of the best growths in the entire series (However, he can only level up once). He can be recruited in the third to last chapter, by visiting the eastern village with either Fir or Bartre.
Sword - S
- See also: Karel/Supports
Description: An eastern swordmaster. Seeking worthy opponents.
For Karel to appear instead of Harken, open 4 or more doors by the end of turn 9 on Jerme's Map, or kill 2 or more of the 3 specific promoted enemies before turn 9 on Kenneth's map. Talk to Karel with Lyn or your main lord.
Sword - A
- See also: Karel/Supports#The Blazing Blade
Sword - B
*Enemy only, joins unequipped
- Sword Demon
- A viscous swordsman from a family devoted to mastering the blade. Known as the Sword Demon. Appears in Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade.
|Wo Dao||-||9||1||Grants +10 to damage when Special triggers.||✯✯✯|
|Wo Dao+||-||13||1||Grants +10 to damage when Special triggers.||✯✯✯✯✯|
|Name||SP Cost||Effects||Charge Cost||Rarity|
|Retribution||-||Grants bonus bonus damage dealt equal to 30% of damage suffered.||3||✯✯✯|
|Reprisal||200||Grants bonus bonus damage dealt equal to 30% of damage suffered.||2||✯✯✯✯|
|Defiant Atk 1||40||Grants Atk+3 at start of turn if units HP ≤ 50%.||-|
|Defiant Atk 2||80 (Required:|
Defiant Atk 1)
|Grants Atk+5 at start of turn if units HP ≤ 50%.||-|
|Defiant Atk 3||160 (Required:|
Defiant Attack 2)
|Grants Atk+7 at start of turn if units HP ≤ 50%.||-|
|Desperation 1||50||If unit initiates combat with HP ≤ 25%, follow-up attacks occur immediately after unit's attack.||-|
|Desperation 2||100 (Required: Desperation 1)||If unit initiates combat with HP ≤ 50%, follow-up attacks occur immediately after unit's attack.||-|
|Desperation 3||200 (Required: Desperation 2)||If unit initiates combat with HP ≤ 75%, follow-up attacks occur immediately after unit's attack.||-|
The Binding BladeEdit
“Gah... I... Not yet...”
—Karel's death quote.
“So let's see the power of the Demon Dragon.”
—Final Chapter Quote.
“No, you have not made any mistakes. The path you choose on your own is never wrong. In fact, I shall assist you from now on.”
—Karel, being recruited by Fir.
The Blazing BladeEdit
“Death cannot be bested with a sword... My skills are not yet honed to such a level. I should take my leave of this battle.”
—Karel's retreat quote
“As long as there's someone to cut, you will have my aid.”
—Final Chapter quote
“Your name is Mark, correct? A tactician? I see. You use wisdom as your blade... Interesting... Mark, I will remember your name.”
—Karel to the Tactician in Chapter 28H.
“…Here we are. Mm…a good wind. appropriate to the feast about to begin.”
—Karel upon entering the field in chapter Pale Flower of Darkness
Recruited by EliwoodEdit
- Eliwood: Who are you?
- Karel: Karel.
- Eliwood: Are you fighting the Black Fang, too?
- Karel: I heard the Black Fang was gathering recruits. I'm here to challenge them.
- Eliwood: Do you… Do you have a reason to do so?
- Karel: My sword is my life. My sword is my reason. You…
- Eliwood: What?
- Karel: You are quite good, but you will improve. Very good, I will join you.
- Eliwood: You're going to help me and my friends? But…why?
- Karel: Someday, you will be a famed swordfighter. It would be a waste for that skill to die here. I must have you… stronger. I will wait for that time with much anticipation.
- Eliwood: …
- Karel: Shall we continue? The feast awaits…
Recruited by Lyn Edit
- Lyn: Oh! Who are you?
- Karel: Karel.
- Lyn: You're a... swordfighter from Sacae. Are you fighting the Black Fang as well?
- Karel: The Black Fang is gathering recruits. I want to hone my blade on them.
- Lyn: Why would you... do you have a reason to?
- Karel: My sword is my life. My sword is my reason. You are... So beautiful...
- Lyn: Pardon?
- Karel: Your blade and mine are different, yet... Your swordplay is truly beautiful. Very well. I will join you.
- Lyn: You're going to help us? But... why?
- Karel: Someday you will be a renowned swordfighter. Losing you here would be a waste. I must see you... stronger. I will wait for that time with much anticipation.
- Lyn: ......
- Karel: Shall we continue? The feast awaits...
Fire Emblem: The Blazing BladeEdit
Karel - Saint of Swords
Once, Karel was known as the Sword Demon. Now, he bears a new name. What prompted this change, he will not say.
Fire Emblem: The Binding BladeEdit
Sword Master - Karel
Karel retired to a small Village in the mountains of Bern and lived his life in peace. Although many Swords came to him seeking direction, he never did teach any of them directly.
This name is a variant of the Germanic name 'Karl', which is the root of names like Charles. The word 'carl' in Middle English meant 'man', often a low-class man or 'churl'; it was used as an insult during the early Middle Ages in England.
This name might refer to Charlemagne (English: Charles the Great, German: Karl der Große), the famous king of the Franks and founder of the second Holy Roman Empire, which makes him the founder of France and Germany.
Another possible person to refer to is Charles Martel (German: Karl Martell), who was the (in the end winning) leading commander of the Christian Forces at the battle of Tours, October 732. If the Armies of the united North African tribes would have defeated Martel's army at Tours, it is quite possible that the main religion of France, Spain, Switzerland and the western parts of Germany und Italy would have been Islam until today.
- Karel was originally conceived as a character for the cancelled Fire Emblem: Ankoku no Miko. When the original setting and plot of Ankoku no Miko was scrapped and rewritten into what would become The Binding Blade, Karel was the only supporting character carried over into the new story.
- On the official Japanese website for Nintendo, Karel won 21st place out of 80 in the character popularity poll for Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. The male-female vote ratio is 2:1. The voter comments seem to generally focus on his transformation from a blood-thirsty swordsman in the game's prequel into a wise, reliable, and friendly individual.
- Karel shares the title of Saint of Swords in Elibe with Guy and Fir. Both swordsmen are associated with Karel: Guy can potentially be his pupil and Fir is his niece. Sword Saint is also the title given to Odo, another Swordmaster from the Jugdral Duology.
- Karel has the lowest defense growth in The Blazing Blade, yet he has the highest Defense growth, as well as the highest growths in the entire series, in The Binding Blade.
- Karel is the only character in the entire Fire Emblem series who is guaranteed to obtain a Perfect Level Up. This only occurs in The Binding Blade but only once as Karel is recruited at Level 19.