“Kris... I want to be of use too. That feeling is mine and mine alone. Not just some order! But my own truest desire... My treasure.”
—Katarina to the Avatar in Chapter 20x
Katarina (カタリナ Katarina), real name Eine (アイネ Aine), is one of the exclusive characters in Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~. She joins the 7th Platoon of the Altean Knights along with the Avatar, Rody, Ruke, and Raian; and aspires to be a tactician.
Unknown to her friends and allies, Katarina's real name is Eine, one of Eremiya's assassins, who took her fake name from a child she saved from bandits. She was ordered to kill Marth, but her attempt was easily thwarted. Although she is revealed as a traitor and defeated by the Avatar at the end of the Prologue, she can still be recruited if the Avatar talks to her three times in Chapter 16x. Marth then asks her to atone for her sins by serving the Altean Army.
|Tome - D||Elfire|
- The Avatar - Magic Bond obtained after the A-level conversation
- Cecil - Speed Bond obtained after the A-level conversation
As a boss, Katarina will not have much of a problem making short work of any unit with low resistance with Elfire, so precaution must be taken when fighting her. However, when joining as a Sage, she has low base stats, notably very low Luck and Resistance. However, should you choose to fight with her, you can take advantage of her growth rates for HP, Skill, Speed and Luck, all of which are impressive for a pre-promoted unit. Her best asset as a Magic User is her high defense, and relatively high growth rate for it, which will make her sturdier than some other choices.
| Magic +2|
| Tome - B|
Staff - C
*Enemy only, joins unequipped
“Please, call me Katarina.”
—Katarina's Parley quote.
“So, we stand as enemies...”
—Katarina's SpotPass pre-battle quote.
“Ah! Really? I’ll do my best...”
—Katarina's SpotPass recruitment quote.
“Y-you need another tactician?”
—Katarina's DLC recruitment quote.
Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~Edit
"Katarina tirelessly served Marth in Altea, as if to atone for her past sins."
Katarina is Germanic variant of the name Katherine/Catherine which comes from the Greek name Aikaterine. The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name Hekaterine, which came from hekateros "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess Hecate; it could be related to Greek aikia "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". In the early Christian era it became associated with Greek katharos "pure", and the Latin spelling was changed from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this. The name was borne by a semi-legendary 4th-century saint and martyr, Saint Catherine, from Alexandria who was tortured on a spiked wheel
- Katarina's Fire Emblem Awakening artwork depicts her wielding Eliwood's Blade and a yellow Tome.
- Although the Tome's cover cannot be seen, it is possible that it is Katarina's Bolt.
- Despite the fact that Marth and the others learn that Katarina's true name is Eine, they continue to refer to her as Katarina, as do the text box labels that appear when she speaks. In fact, the only characters that ever refer to her as Eine are her fellow assassins (Kuraine, Legion, and Eremiya).
- Stranger still, the text box refers to her as Katarina before she ever takes up the alias.
- In a conversation with the Avatar, Katarina states the she and Kuraine have the same birthdays. Though none of them know their real birthday, Katarina states that Kuraine "allowed" her to have the same birthday after forcing her to get a gift.