“Nohrian law is blunt on the subject of traitors. There is only one punishment... The sentence is death.”
—Leo in Birthright Chapter 18
Leo (レオン Reon, Leon in the Japanese version) is a major playable character in Fire Emblem Fates on the Conquest and Revelation routes. The second youngest of the Nohrian royal siblings, Leo commands the loyalty of Odin and Niles as his personal retainers. If Leo achieves an S support, he will bear a son named Forrest with his spouse.
Leo is the second youngest of five in the Nohrian royal family and the child of King Garon and an unnamed concubine. When the Avatar was adopted into the family during his childhood, he acknowledged them as one of his older siblings. Much like Camilla and Elise, Leo was unfortunately used as a tool by his mother in order to gain favour with Garon. Despite harbouring no love for his mother, Leo bonded exceedingly well with his three half-siblings.
A few years prior to the events of Fates, a band of thieves attempted to rob Castle Krakenburg but was quickly intercepted by Leo and the palace guards. One of the thieves was left behind as a scapegoat so that the others could escape. The thief is revealed to be Niles, who begged Leo to put him out of his misery by killing him. Leo decided against complying with the thief's request, as he recognised his worth and decided to recruit him as one of his personal retainers.
Some time later, Garon brought a mysterious Dark Mage named Odin with a dubious background before Leo, forcing him to accept the man as one of his retainers. Due to the doubts that he initially harboured towards Odin, Leo deliberately deployed him on dangerous and impossible missions in an attempt to get rid of him. His fears proved to be unfounded, as he was impressed by Odin's competence in completing all the missions flawlessly. As a result of this, Leo recognised Odin as an invaluable ally, thereafter refraining from putting him in harm's way.
Leo makes his first formal appearance in Chapter 1, where he plays audience to the mock duel that Xander and the Avatar engage in. After the Avatar succeeds in besting Xander in combat, Leo interrupts their exchange of praise by stating that true strength does not exist in simple swordplay. When he attempts to continue the argument, he is interrupted by the Avatar teasing him for having worn the collar of his robes inside out, prompting him to flee to his quarters out of embarrassment. He returns shortly after with his collar fixed, where he scolds Elise for not acting her age when she throws herself into the Avatar's arms.
The Avatar is later escorted into the throne room of Castle Krakenburg with their siblings in Chapter 2. Here, Leo watches on as the Avatar resolutely states their will to fight for Nohr before they are entrusted the cursed blade of Ganglari and issued a challenge to defeat a group of Hoshidan prisoners. Following the successful completion of the challenge, the Avatar prepares to fight Xander to protect the prisoners from being executed. Leo then intervenes and breaks up the fight by pretending to execute the remaining prisoners, a fact that he informs the Avatar of after Garon departs from the throne room. He later accompanies his siblings in escorting the remaining prisoners out of the castle to freedom.
Later in Chapter 3, upon learning that the Avatar has been punished with the task of investigating an abandoned fort on the Hoshido-Nohr border, Leo expresses concern over the Avatar's lack of urgency in their regard of Garon's apparent leniency. This warning of his earns him a slap from Elise, who urges him not to scare the Avatar before their first mission. He later shows up again with the rest of his siblings to reinforce the Avatar after they are ambushed by a group of Hoshidan Ninja led by Saizo. When Xander later orders the Avatar to depart with Gunter first, Leo does not see them again until the onset of Chapter 6, when the forces of Hoshido and Nohr clash at the Plains of Hoshido.
Leo is portrayed as a character who possesses a keen intellect, one that he devotes towards the study of magic and strategy. In this regard, he is known to be diligent and hardworking in honing his expertise to a fine, sharp edge, to the point where he is widely regarded as a genius who is more than capable of flawlessly handling any difficult situation. Further complementing this facet of Leo's personality is the cold demeanour of calm that he assumes, one that he resolutely maintains even in the face of trying situations.
Beneath this exterior of perfection that Leo exudes, however, is a deep-seated inferiority complex that is specifically directed towards the Avatar. This inferiority complex is not one that takes its roots from the Avatar being his intellectual superior, stemming instead from the fact that they receive far more attention from Xander and Camilla than he does. This dimension of Leo's character is unveiled through his supports with the Avatar, where he, while in the midst of tutoring them in the art of strategy, reveals his jealousy of the Avatar having received far more attention than he has from both Xander and Camilla.
In spite of him being recognised as an intellectual genius, Leo is not blinded by his reputation to the point of arrogance and pomposity. He is instead known to treat the people whom he engages with the utmost respect and civility, a fact that helps him to cultivate strong relationships with ease. His supports with Mozu prove this point, where he, in response to her woefully commenting that she is not the right person to turn to for strategy advice, kindly informs her that different people possess different strengths.
Leo has also been portrayed to be quite a romantic person, capable of capturing the heart of the lady whom he has fallen in love with. This fact can be observed throughout his S supports, where he is known to refrain from being too forceful in his attempt to convince the person he loves to accept him, choosing instead to adopt a slow, yet steady approach to prove the sincerity of his heart. Leo's S support with Nyx stands as a good example to prove this fact; in this support, he gently melts away the chronic insecurities that she harbours of being trapped in the body of a child by urging her to envision herself as an adult before carefully getting her to imagine him as her spouse. In doing so, he succeeds in convincing Nyx of the sincerity of his love, following which he directly proposes to her.
Leo is known to be ruthless in his treatment of those whom he has developed a tremendous disdain for. The best examples illustrating this fact can be gleaned through his treatment of Zola in both the Conquest and Revelation routes, where he ignores the latter's pleas for mercy and executes him with no hesitation.
Leo is said to like tomatoes the most out of everyone in the army. His birthday is June 30.
As an Enemy
Birthright Chapter 6 - In the White Light
Birthright Chapter 18 - Leo
- Note: Does not move on Normal mode.
Revelation Chapter 6 - Into The Ground
Xenologue 20 - Heirs of Fate 6: Lost in the Waves
Max Stat Modifiers
- See also: Leo (Fates)/Supports
- The Avatar (Female)
- Sakura (Revelation only)
- Hinoka (Revelation only)
- The Avatar (Male)
- Takumi (Revelation only)
- Shigure (If Leo is his father)
- Kana (if Leo is his father)
|Base Classes||Possible Promotions|
|Possible Candidates||Base Classes||Possible Promotions|
|Possible Candidates||Base Classes||Possible Promotions|
|Possible Candidates||Base Classes||Possible Promotions|
|Base Classes||Possible Promotions|
Base Class Set
Leo's overall growth rates are rather balanced, with none of his stats standing out from one another aside from marginally higher growths in HP and Magic. This means that he is a versatile unit stat-wise as his growths grant him flexibility in a wide range of classes. Leo's personal skill, Pragmatic, boosts his damage and reduces damage sustained when battling enemies who are already injured, a fact that allows him to slay enemies faster or better deal with foes with higher Defense. His personal weapon, Brynhildr, is considered the fourth most powerful Tome available in the game, and unlike other weapons with high Might, it does not carry any penalties to offset its combat potency. The tome also boosts Leo's Critical Evade by 10, reduces the enemy's chance of performing Critical attacks and, most importantly, has the built-in ability to potentially halve incoming magical damage, even if he does not have it equipped.
Despite being a pre-promoted unit, Leo does not have particularly excellent base stats, but they are by no means so atrocious to the point where he is unable to be on par with the rest of the player's army. He already starts off with his Dark Mage skills Malefic Aura and Heartseeker, causing his enemies to sustain more magical damage from him and experience more difficulty in avoiding his attacks. Allowing Leo to grow a bit more in the Dark Knight class yields Seal Magic to cripple magic-wielding units and thereafter permit other low-Resistance units to engage them safely should he be unable to defeat them himself. Later, he learns Lifetaker, an excellent HP-regeneration skill that activates each time he defeats a foe.
Alternatively, Leo can use a Heart Seal to access the Sorcerer class. As a Sorcerer, more emphasis is placed on the potency of his magical attacks at the cost of weapon flexibility and mobility. One of the skills he stands to learn is Vengeance, an offensive skill that becomes more powerful the more damage that he sustains in battle. This skill works well in conjunction with Lifetaker, as any damage that Leo sustains can be recovered following the end of battles where Vengeance has aided him in felling foes. He also learns Bowbreaker, a skill that grants him the upper edge in battles waged against Bow and Yumi-wielding foes. This skill is invaluable when Leo is pitted against Takumi on the Conquest route.
Secondary Class Set
Leo's secondary class set is the Troubadour, entailing the Strategist and Butler promotions. A class set that is largely supportive in nature, the Troubadour class set provides a bevy of skills that allows Leo to function well as a support unit. From the Troubadour class, Leo can learn Resistance +2, a skill that loses its potency as he continues to gain levels and gain Resistance through his natural growths. Gentilhomme is the other skill that this class offers, affording him the ability to assists female allies in battle, although it is better replaced by other Area of Effect skills from the class set's promotions.
As a Strategist, Leo is given access to skills that purely revolve around support. Rally Resistance, for one, grants nearby allies boosts to their Resistance. Inspiration, on the other hand, is a skill that can be considered an upgrade to Gentilhomme, as it imposes beneficial boosts to not just female units, but also male ones as well.
As a Butler, Leo gains access to the Live to Serve and Tomebreaker skills. Live to Serve is only beneficial as long as he remains in a Staff and Rod-wielding class. Tomebreaker, conversely, is far more useful as it grants him the upper edge when facing magic-wielding units in battle. On the whole, it is not advisable for Leo to be reclassed into the Butler class for too long, as its choice of weaponry prevents him from continuing to arm Brynhildr in battle.
Buddy Class Sets
- Xander - Xander provides the Cavalier class set, entailing the Paladin and Great Knight promotions, providing a more physically offensive Leo compared to his standard magic class. From Cavalier, Elbow Room can be useful in case of a map with a lack of terrain effects, and Shelter can be used to save more fragile units from death. From Paladin, Defender can be useful if you pair him up with another unit with him as the lead, especially one he has reached A or S rank with, and Aegis can help lower damage from bows and tomes; when used with Brynhildr's skill of halving magical damage, Leo can easily shake off magical attacks with negligible damage dealt to him. From Great Knight, Luna can help deal more damage to high Resistance enemies, and Armored Blow can cushion any damage dealt by counterattacks, useful if you intend to keep Leo in a low Defence class.
- Odin - Odin provides the Samurai class set, entailing the Swordmaster and Master of Arms promotions. From Samurai, Leo can grab Duelist's Blow to help dodge counterattacks after he attacks, and Vantage, which can help him deal with enemies even if his health is extremely low. From Swordmaster, the only useful skill is Astra, which can be a powerful offensive skill that can deal extreme damage; the other skill is Swordfaire, which is only useful if you intend to keep Leo in a sword-using class; however, it can be useful if you give him a Levin Sword to benefit his high magic. From Master of Arms, Seal Strength is useful for lowering damage from classes that attack using Strength by lowering the stat if Leo fails to kill the enemy in one hit; Life and Death is a gamble to equip, as it increases Leo's damage output by 10, but he receives 10 more damage too. If you marry Leo with a partner that gives him access to the Cavalier class line, Armored Blow can negate the negative effects of Life and Death (but only on your turn ), making it not as risky to use.
- Niles - Niles provides the Outlaw class set, entailing the Adventurer and Bow Knight promotions.
- Takumi - Takumi provides the Archer class set, entailing the Sniper and Kinshi Knight promotions. From Archer, Quick Draw can help Leo one shot enemies on his turn, and while Skill +2 can be useful for increasing Hit Rate at first, it can be abandoned later for more useful skills.
Partner Class Sets
- Avatar - The Avatar provides a plethora of class sets that Leo cannot access from anyone else, especially those tied to the Hoshidan faction. These include the Oni Savage, Ninja, Apothecary, Diviner, and Spear Fighter class sets. If looking to give Leo specific skills, consider assigning one of these sets as the female Avatar's secondary class set before wedding him to her. Otherwise, seek online features for other people who have done the same.
- Hinoka - Hinoka grants Leo access to the Sky Knight class set, entailing the Falcon Knight and Kinshi Knight promotions. This class set is very useful to him, as he can learn Darting Blow just by levelling up once in this class line, a skill that allows him to better perform double attacks on slower enemies when he is reverted to his original Dark Knight class. However, Leo has little business staying in this class set, as he is better suited to magic-wielding classes that allow him to continue arming Brynhildr. Picking up Warding Blow from the Falcon Knight class should, however, be considered before reclassing Leo, as it allows him to better deal with enemy Sorcerers who are capable of inflicting considerable amounts of damage to allies with poor Resistance.
- Sakura - Sakura grants Leo access to the Monk class set, entailing the Great Master and Onmyoji promotions. This class set is not without its merits, as it gives Leo access to Tomefaire, which can increase his offensive power with tomes. In addition to this, Leo also gains access to Renewal, a skill that can stack with Lifetaker to further boost his longevity. Although keeping Leo in the Onmyoji class may be tempting due to the higher Magic and Speed growths that it offers, it is not recommended to keep him there for too long due to the fact that its low base stats will dampen his defenses considerably.
Refer to Leo (Fates)/Quotes.
- Leo - Sorcerous Prince
- Leo was invaluable during Nohr's era of change. He took the brunt of the people's ill will by helping spread Xander's bold policies. Later generations revered him for his contributions and sacrifices.
- Leo and Avatar (Conquest)
- Leo sacrificed much for Nohr, leading the effort to spread King Xander's radical new policies. Avatar was hailed as a hero, working alongside her spouse to spread peace worldwide.
- Leo and Azura
- Leo sacrificed much for Nohr, leading the effort to spread King Xander's radical new policies. There are few records of Azura beyond her marriage. She remains a historical mystery.
- Leo and Beruka
- Leo sacrificed much for Nohr, leading the effort to spread King Xander's radical new policies. Beruka was torn about leaving Camilla but enjoyed having enough emotions for them to conflict.
- Leo and Effie
- Leo sacrificed much for Nohr, leading the effort to spread King Xander's radical new policies. Effie retired after getting married, but she and Elise remained best friends for the rest of their lives.
- Leo and Felicia
- Leo sacrificed much for Nohr, leading the effort to spread King Xander's radical new policies. Felicia gave up her career in the service industry for the military, ultimately becoming a commander.
- Leo and Hinoka
- Leo sacrificed much for Nohr, leading the effort to spread King Xander's radical new policies. His wife,Hinoka, became general of the Hoshidan royal army, and the two remained together always.
- Leo and Selena
- Leo sacrificed much for Nohr, leading the effort to spread King Xander's radical new policies. After marrying, he and his wife, Selena, disappeared from records. They likely lived happily ever after.
- Leo and Sakura
- Leo sacrificed much for Nohr, leading the effort to spread King Xander's radical new policies. His wife, Sakura, dedicated herself to helping the underprivileged, and the two worked happily together.
Leo is illustrated in the trading card game Fire Emblem Cipher with the following cards:
Leo and Leon are names of Greek origin [λέων (leōn)], and are the roots that eventually evolved into the English "lion". The oldest attested historical figure to bear this name was Leon of Sparta, a Spartan king from the 5th century BC. In Greek mythology, Leon is the name assumed by a giant killed by Heracles.
- Leo shares his English voice actor, Max Mittelman, with Forrest and Kaden.
- Leo is the only character to share his voice actor with his child in the English version of the game.
- Leo is the only Nohrian sibling to not have natural access to the Wyvern Rider class set without having to marry someone who does.
- Leo's artwork depicts him with Brynhildr.
- Leo is the only Nohrian sibling to be recruited at a higher level than his older sibling.
- Leo placed most popular male in the official character popularity poll held on the game's official site.
- He placed 2nd in the character popularity poll and came in 3rd in the spouse poll, both issued by Famitsu.
- He also appeared in 2nd place in the character popularity poll issued by Nintendo Dream.
- Leo has a unique in-game model in Chapter 1 that shows him briefly wearing his robe inside out with the interior tagged purple side exposed, in line with the Avatar taking notice of his dishevelled clothes.
- Leo shares one of his critical quotes, "You can't hide from me", with his retainers.