“We'll see who's delicate! I may not be able to attack like Chrom, but when you get injured? I'LL be the one stitching your bones back together, care of my trusty staff! You just tell me where to go, Avatar.”
Lissa (リズ, Rizu, Liz in the Japanese version) is a playable character from Fire Emblem: Awakening.
Lissa is Chrom and Emmeryn's younger sister, and the princess of the Halidom of Ylisse. In spite of her noble status, she aids Chrom in battle as part of the Shepherds as their primary healer nonetheless.
In the events of Awakening, Lissa is first introduced moments before the prologue chapter, in which she and Chrom chance upon an amnesiac Avatar stranded and lost in a field. Their intent to further question and determine the trustworthiness of the Avatar is cut short as the nearby town is set ablaze, compelling them to make haste towards its rescue. After saving the town from bandits alongside Chrom, Frederick, and the Avatar, Lissa, following Chrom's lead, proceeds to return to Ylisstol. As the day is no longer young at this point, the group thenceforth sets up camp within the depths of an unnamed thicket of woods. As night fell and the group lays down to rest, Lissa is awoken by Chrom when he senses something amiss in the surrounding atmosphere. The pair then proceeds to scout the surrounding vicinity, where they note the eerie lack of sound in woods that should otherwise be teeming with life. As they traipsed into a clearing, Lissa spots a mysterious, ornate gate opening up in the sky, sending in numerous Risen and several fireballs hurtling towards the woods. Entering a frenzied state of panic as the woods are set ablaze, Lissa, following Chrom's lead, attempts to flee the danger zone. It is at this point that a band of Risen slip through the gate and land in close proximity to the siblings, to which Chrom responds by attempting to fend off some of them. The Risen prove to be rather formidable foes, a fact that causes one to succeed in cornering Lissa. Just as the Risen is about to strike her, a masked warrior appears and rescues her. After dealing with the remaining Risen, the masked warrior introduces "himself" as Marth and warns the group of turbulent times to come. Upon arrival in Ylisstol, Lissa and Chrom's identities as members of the Ylissean royalty are revealed to the immense surprise of the Avatar. The siblings then introduces the Avatar to Emmeryn, and as the exchange concludes, Lissa disperses from the group with the Avatar in tow. She then leads him/her to the Shepherd's Garrison and introduces him/her to the other Shepherds - Vaike, Sumia, and Maribelle.
Upon returning from Ferox later on, Lissa receives the shocking news that Maribelle has been kidnapped by Gangrel, on the pretext that her friend has supposedly trespassed Plegia's borders. Distressed over the safety of her friend, Lissa accompanies Chrom on his mission to rescue her.
After preventing the assassination of Emmeryn, Lissa heads out with Chrom and his army to relocate Emmeryn to a safer location. However, they have barely left the capital when word arrives from Cordelia that Gangrel has laid siege upon Ylisstol. Concerned over the welfare of her people, Emmeryn insists on returning to Ylisstol to attempt to parley with Gangrel. Lissa responds by offering to accompany her, but is urged to remain with Chrom's troops. While awaiting a discourse to be formulated in Ferox, Lissa learns of the grim news that Emmeryn has been captured by Gangrel and sentenced to death. She then hurries to Plegia Castle with her allies, only to watch helplessly as the attempt to rescue her sister fails spectacularly. Stranded on the precarious tip of a precipice, Emmeryn, desiring to protect everyone from Gangrel's twisted whims, retain her dignity as the exalt and prevent the Fire Emblem from falling into his hands, opts to sacrifice herself by falling to her death. Shocked and aggrieved by her sister's noble act of sacrifice, Lissa is observed to react by howling and sobbing uncontrollably into her hands. In spite of the anguish that she sustains, Lissa, alongside Chrom, resolves to recover and continue fighting on in her memory. With the aid of the rest of the army, Lissa succeeds in defeating Gangrel and putting an end to his tyrannical madness.
Two years after the war, Lissa aids Chrom across the halidom. When news arrives from Ferox that the Valm empire seeks to conquer Ylisse, Lissa rejoins Chrom's army to assist in the prevention of the impending invasion. When Chrom later meets his future daughter Lucina, Lissa bears witness to the Lucina's dour account of a future in which Chrom's army is decimated, leaving behind their orphaned children. Before the events of Paralogue 5 takes place, Lissa asks Lucina if she has borne any children of her own. Lucina then reveals that Lissa has conceived a son who is named Owain. Lissa then begins to pose another question on her son, but later decides against it by hurriedly retracting her query. Upon arrival at the Sage's Hamlet, Lissa and the rest of the army encounter a rather odd youth engaging in a valiant attempt to protect the resident sages from a bandit assault. During the skirmish, Lissa manages to speak to the youth, who proudly reveals his idenity as her son with much gusto. After the battle concludes, Lissa notices the Brand of the Exalt on manifested on his arm. Owain then explains the history of the brand, divulging that the future Lissa had wept with joy the day his Brand surfaced. Such an outpouring of emotions is attributed to the fact that the Brand has never taken shape on Lissa's body, causing her to harbour insecurities over her legitimacy as a member of the Ylissean royalty; With the Brand appearing on her offspring's body, Lissa has thus received the confirmation necessary to concretise the veracity of her lineage.
After the war, should Lissa not be married, she will embark on a trip around the world and thereafter share what she has learned to Chrom. If the Avatar has sacrificed himself/herself in order to kill Grima, Lissa will first accompany Chrom on his quest to relocate the Avatar. The pair will eventually reunite with their companion in a field, much like when they first met.
If Lissa were to wed the Avatar, she will double as not just the mother of Owain, but also that of Morgan'. She will instead assume the role of Morgan's aunt if the Avatar chooses to marry Chrom or Emmeryn. It is also possible for Lissa to be the aunt of Brady, Inigo, Cynthia, or Kjelle, depending on the identity of Chrom's wife.
Lissa initially comes across as an individual who looks upon the world with a naive, simplistic outlook, a fact that is compounded by her seemingly spoiled and immature behaviour - As evidenced from her supports with both the Avatar and Donnel, where she pulls light-hearted pranks on the former, and becomes visibly upset when the latter displays an intellect superior to hers. In a rather conflicting light, Lissa is embarrassed of these traits of hers, as she perceives them as brusque and unbecoming of a noble lady. She has thus become rather insecure over her character as a whole, where she not just laments over her un-ladylike mannerisms, but also expresses a desire to emulate the example set by her sister. These flaws are, however, heavily offset by several redeeming qualities; The most prevalent of these is her exuberant, optimistic attitude, one that is deemed crucial for boosting the army’s morale by Chrom. This is further bolstered by Lissa’s compassion, where her willingness to indiscriminately help anyone in need has allowed her to build up rapport and trust with others easily, as is the case with her friendship with Maribelle.
Another point of note is that of Lissa’s register, where it markedly resembles the crude tongue widely adopted by commoners. Although considered unusual for a royal like herself to employ, this register of her has instead proven to be beneficial to her, as it allows her to better communicate with and befriend the other members of the army. She jumps up the most out of anyone in the army and is the most likely to snort. Her birthday is March 6th.
|Miracle||Staff - E||Heal|
- War Cleric
Max Stat ModifersEdit
- See also: Lissa/Supports
- Cleric - Promotes to War Cleric or Sage
- Troubadour - Promotes to Valkyrie or War Cleric
- Pegasus Knight - Promotes to Falcon Knight or Dark Flier
- Bride - Requires Wedding Bouquet
Since the Pegasus Knight and Troubadour classes are female-exclusive, Lissa's son will instead be able to reclass into the following classes:
Lissa functions as a typical Cleric unit in the beginning, where she possesses average Skill and Luck to dodge incoming attacks, alongside low Defences that render it imperative for her to be kept away from the front-lines. Once Maribelle joins the player's army, Lissa may lose her effectiveness as a healer very slightly, owing to her relatively lower Magic growth rate and Movement range. Regardless, Lissa is still a competent healer unit and even has the potential of growing at a faster pace than Maribelle, especially considering how she is the only healer unit at the player's disposal for five whole chapters. Also, while Maribelle is unable to learn the Healtouch skill, Lissa is able to, providing her with a substantial advantage in her healing capabilities when she reaches level 10.
Lissa's immediate choices are that of the War Cleric and Sage classes. Lissa performs quite well as a War Cleric due to the more balanced stats that she stands to gain. While her Strength growth is not particularly spectacular, this is offset by her decent Speed and Skill, both of which allow her to effectively engage in melee combat while simultaneously fulfilling her principal duties as a healer, at least until her Strength reaches a fairly satisfactory value. Alternatively, the player could consider procuring Bolt Axes for Lissa to wield in this class, as they allow her to fully harness her potent Magic growths and caps. Adding on to these list of benefits is that of the Renewal skill, which may prove to be her greatest asset, especially if she is the only healer unit deployed in a given battle. As a Sage, Lissa trades the defensive qualities of the War Cleric in favour of fully maximising her magical prowess. This effectively makes Lissa a more potent Cleric, albeit a less sturdy one. However, if paired up, Lissa as a Sage will receive substantial boosts to her Hit and Avoid rates, allowing her to become quite a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.
Lissa's two re-class options include the Troubadour and Pegasus Knight lines. As a Troubadour, Lissa becomes akin to a carbon copy of Maribelle, albeit one with slightly higher defences and lower Skill and Luck. While her Strength is slightly higher in this class line, it is one that is redundant, especially considering how said class line is solely magic-based in nature. Re-classing Lissa into a Troubadour/Valkyrie is not without its rewards., however, as she stands to learn the support skill Dual Support+, making her a good Pair Up unit that provides huge bonuses when she is linked to her husband, regardless of her final class. If the player so prefers for Lissa to be more mobile, the Valkyrie is a solid class option for Lissa to remain in her clerical duties, although especial attention must be paid to her resultantly low defences, alongside being hampered on desert-based battlefields.
In her Pegasus-based class line, Lissa serves as a much better Falcon Knight healer and Dark Flier mage than Sumia does; Merits that are offset by her lacking the Speed and Skill that both Sumia and Cordelia possess. Ultimately, Lissa is better off assuming another class entirely, especially since there are four pegasus-based characters who can be recruited from the beginning, all of whom possess stats tailored towards features that are characteristic of such classes. That being said, Lissa can still benefit from being in this class line nonetheless; If she spends some time as a Dark Flier, she will eventually be able to learn the Galeforce skill, one that not just enhances her map-clearing abilities, but should always be the skill that is passed down to Owain.
Lissa also functions as a potent Rally unit, as she is, with the exception of the Bride DLC, able to learn a grand total of five Rally skills - Rally Luck, Rally Magic, Rally Resistance, Rally Speed, and Rally Movement. It goes without saying that Lissa will need to be re-classed into each and every one of the necessary classes in order to pick up the aforementioned skills for use.
- "Whoa! Did I just step on something? I hope I didn't break it..." (item)
- "I'm trying to be more ladylike, but I think I might've pulled a pinky muscle..." (exp)
- "I snuck in some practice. Gotta keep up with the others, after all." (weapon exp)
Asking - NormalEdit
- "Hey, what are your dreams for the future? Sometimes I feel like life has no direction." (dreams)
- "How come you vanish after each battle? Do you have a hobby or whatever?" (free time)
- "Hey, how come you're in such a great mood? ...New haircut?" (happy)
- "It’s nice having strong people like you around. Can we team up next time?" (team up)
- "I want to be a proper lady like my sister. ...But don't tell anyone I said that." (dreams)
- "I keep an eye on my brother. He’s always breaking stuff when he trains." (free time)
- "No, I’m just glad the two of us got to talk! There’s always too many people around." (happy)
- "Okay! I'll do my best. Together we can take whatever the bad guys throw at us." (team up)
Asking - ChromEdit
- "You have any dreams for the future, Chrom? Sometimes I feel like life has no direction…" (dreams)
- "You seem busier than ever these days, Chrom. Anything important?" (free time)
- "Hey, Chrom, how come you're in such a great mood? ...New haircut?" (happy)
Replying - ChromEdit
- "I make sure you don’t break stuff! Emm was furious when you smashed up the palace." (free time)
Asking - EmmerynEdit
- "What do you dream about, Emm? You should be thinking about your future." (dreams)
- "Emm, where do you wander off to these days? You need to stay where it's safe." (free time)
- "Hey, Emm, how come you're in such a great mood? Did you remember who I am?" (happy)
- "Emm, let's fight together during the next battle. I want to show you how strong I got!" (team up)
Replying - EmmerynEdit
- "I want to be a proper lady like you. You're my dream, Emm!" (dreams)
- "I make sure Chrom doesn't break stuff! You were mad when he smashed up the palace." (free time)
- "No, but you'd look beautiful no matter how dirty your face got. I miss you, Emm." (happy)
- "Of course, Emm! I'll never let anybody hurt you again. I promise!" (team up)
Asking - MarriedEdit
- "You’re not hurt, are you, (name)? Don’t do anything reckless." (promise)
- "(Name), you look so handsome today. I feel like a slob in comparison!" (compliment)
- " I love you, (name). I just know we’re going to be together forever!" (love)
- "What have you got there, (name)? And don't try to hide it from me!" (gift)
Replying - MarriedEdit
- "I’m fine. Trust me. ...Now stop scowling! I’m not gonna die. I promise." (promise)
- "Stop it, you tease! I know I’ve got a long way to go before I act like a lady." (compliment)
- "Thanks, (name). I never get tired of hearing that. I love you, too!" (love)
- "Oh! This is my special health tonic. I was gonna save it for when you needed it." (gift)
Asking - ChildEdit
- "Let’s train for a bit, Owain/Morgan. I can hold my own as a Shepherd!" (train)
- "Hey, Owain/Morgan, why don’t you let me buy you something? I’m your mother, right?" (gift)
- "Are you hurt, Owain/Morgan? Let me get my staff." (concern)
- "What was the future like for you, Owain/Morgan?"
Replying - ChildEdit
- "You’re on! ...Oh, look at the time. Can we take a rain check?" (train)
- "Thanks! How about a nice dress? Something regal." (gift)
- "I, uh, wouldn’t worry... You certainly are a bundle of energy, Owain/Morgan." (concern)
- "Well, believe it or not, I fought with the Shepherds like the rest. The court was too stuffy for me. Gotta follow your dreams, right? Same goes for you, Owain/Morgan. So what if people mock you? Believe in yourself!" (story)
- "I think I'm ready for the front lines!" (6+ stat ups)
- "I've still got a few tricks up my sleeve!" (5-4 stat ups)
- "Hey, look at me go!" (2-3 stat ups)
- "I really have to do better than this... (1 stat up)
- "I've come so far since meeting Avatar." (0-1 stat up, most stats capped)
- "Ta-da! Do I look good or do I look GREAT?!"
- "I love shopping! Oh...for me?! Thanks!" (buying)
- "Hey, Avatar, which will fetch the most gold?" (selling)
- "Thanks! I could use a stronger weapon." (forging)
- "Is that a crack in the wall? Chrom is always breaking things during training..." (misc)
- "I'm doing great today! I wonder why...? I guess I'll just go with it." (surge)
Greetings - NormalEdit
- "Oh! Good morning, Avatar. Taking a break already? (morning)
- "Hello, Avatar. Need a break, huh?" (day)
- "Oh! Good evening, Avatar. You deserve a break." (evening)
- "Hello, Avatar. I was just getting ready to tuck in." (night)
- "Happy birthday, Avatar!" (birthday)
Greetings - MarriedEdit
- "Hello, Avatar! Got anything exciting planned today?" (morning)
- "Hello, Avatar! Here’s to another lively day!" (day)
- "Hello, Avatar! It got dark so fast." (evening)
- "Hello, Avatar! I’m getting sleepy. *Yaaaaaawn*" (night)
- "Happy birthday, Avatar!" (birthday)
Chrom's tomboyish little sister, the princess of Ylisse. With nary an ounce of snobbery in her nature, she is among the most likeable and approachable of the Shepherds. The girl most likely to snort. Born on March 6th.
“Oh my gosh, this ring is HUGE! Ohh... we're gonna have such a GREAT life together!”
—Lissa's confession quote
“Come back to us, Avatar!”
—Lissa's final chapter quote
“Wooooo! I can't believe we did it!”
—Lissa's quote after Grima was defeated by Chrom
“And did you forget you're my HUSBAND?! You promised me we'd be together forever!”
—Lissa reassuring the Avatar for their choice if she is his wife
“You're right! He/She has to be out there somewhere... And we'll find a way to bring him/her home. Even if we have to search every open field in this whole stupid world!”
—Lissa's quote to Chrom after the Avatar's sacrifice of killing Grima
“You're that Risen that skulked off earlier! Where's my gold, jerk?! I picked those coins out of the gutter! I brought secondhand petticoats! Yeesh, I'm starting to feel pathetic...”
—Lissa's pre-battle quote
EXPonential Growth Pre-BattleEdit
“Not another step, potato molester! Stealing food is wrong! Well, I guess I sometimes steal sweets from my brother’s pack. ...And gold. But that is totally not the same thing. It’s time for you to die, die, die!”
—Lissa's pre-battle quote
Infinite Regalia Pre-BattleEdit
“You may look tough, but... Yeah, okay. You probably ARE tough. But I've faced deader things than you and survived! Now cough up the treasure, chump! My brother needs it!”
—Lissa's pre-battle quote
Death's Embrace Pre-BattleEdit
“Ugh, what did he DO to you? No one deserves this! I've never seen such gore... This is well beyond my staff's powers. I'm sorry I can only offer you rest. Please be at peace...”
—Lissa's pre-battle quote.
Five-Anna Firefight Pre-BattleEdit
“You like picking on Annas, huh? Let's see how you can handle a Lissa! I was all set out to pick out a nice, new staff before news of YOU showed up!”
—Lissa's pre-battle quote.
Roster Rescue Pre-BattleEdit
“Hey! Does that book really say I snort? Come on, you don't honestly believe that stuff, do you? HAH! *snort* ...... ...Okay, now you have to die.”
—Lissa's pre-battle quote.
Summer Scramble Pre-BattleEdit
“As fun as it must be to have the place to yourself, you need to learn to share! I mean, why not? You might even make some new friends while you're at it! ...Not interested. huh? All right, we'll just have to do things your way.”
—Lissa's pre-battle quote.
Hot-Spring Scramble Pre-BattleEdit
“Yippee! I love hot springs! Nothing like one big, outdoor bathtub! The girls can all soak in the water together once this is over. It'll be fun! We can share girl stories and gossip about all the guys... Heh heh.”
—Lissa's pre-battle quote.
- "Please stay strong!"
- "Here goes!"
- "You can do it!"
- "Go get 'em!"
- "Come on!"
- "I've got you!"
- "It's alright!"
- "Now or never."
- "What a loser!"
- "Got'cha now!"
- "My turn!"
- "Don't forget me!"
- "Have some of this!"
- "You all right?"
- "Careful! Yeah?"
- "Look out!"
- "I got you!"
- "Well, that's that."
- "I'm sorry."
Partner Defeated EnemyEdit
- "Hey, thanks!"
- "Nice save!"
- "You asked for it!"
- "This one might hurt!"
- "I may surprise you!"
- "Clear a path, everyone!"
“I-I can't go on... I'm sorry... This war...is over for me... I'm sorry...I couldn't help you...through to the end...”
—Lissa's retreat quote (classic mode)
“S-sorry, but I can't risk...more wounds... It's up to you, Chrom...”
—Lissa's retreat quote (casual mode)
- Lissa - Sprightly Cleric
- Lissa's wild nature led her to travel the world and relay its wisdoms to her brother. The princess's exploits live on in many a droll tale told by the crackling fire.
- Lissa and the Avatar
- Many wrote of Avatar's legendary exploits, but accounts of his origins and character varied. Scholars, poets, and bards agreed on one thing alone—he loved his wife, Lissa, above all else.
- Lissa and Frederick
- As Ylisse's new knight captain, Frederick took charge of keeping the peace and training new recruits. Lissa often visited his charges in town to report concerns and transgressions to her husband.
- Lissa and Virion
- Virion returned home to Rosanne, where he was labeled a traitor and coward, or else ignored entirely. But none of it fazed his wife, Lissa, who won the populace over with good old-fashioned charm.
- Lissa and Vaike
- Vaike returned to the streets that raised him and was welcomed as a hero and brother to all. Still, he was no match for Lissa, who fit in with the people instantly despite her royal upbringing.
- Lissa and Stahl
- Stahl continued his service as an Ylissean knight and led crucial missions across the realm. His scattered nature blended well with his wife Lissa's cheerful banter, making for a happy life indeed.
- Lissa and Kellam
- Lissa's wild nature led her to travel the world and relay its wisdom to her brother. The princess's exploits live on in many a droll tale told by the campfire. Her husband's name has been lost to history.
- Lissa and Lon'qu
- Lon'qu returned to Regna Ferox and served as Basilio's right-hand man. Lissa decided to leave Ylisstol and join her husband, strengthening the bond between the realms even further.
- Lissa and Ricken
- While continuing to study magic, Ricken realized how childish some of his actions had been. He and Lissa learned from these mistakes and grew old and wise together.
- Lissa and Gaius
- Gaius never lost his sweet tooth, though he ultimately returned to less savory enterprises. Lissa always insisted on going along, and the two survived many a comically dire predicament together.
- Lissa and Gregor
- After the war, Gregor briefly sank into a life of excess, but when Lissa decided to travel the world incognito, her worldly husband came along to keep the roads safe and the conversation lively.
- Lissa and Libra
- Many an unfortunate child found joy in the small orphanage Libra and his wife built after the war. The children loved Libra like a mother and treated Lissa as one of their own.
- Lissa and Henry
- Henry settled down with Lissa and turned out to be a surprisingly good father. Their newborn son, however, developed a notably bizarre personality, in no small part because of his colorful parents.
- Lissa and Donnel
- Donnel returned to his tiny village and built a happy life with his mother and Lissa. Still, the latter insisted on breaking the monotony, and the couple often traveled to far-flung markets.
Lissa's name could be derived from Greek origins, where it means "honey bee" - An apt allusion to her temperamental, yet diligent character.
On the contrary, the name "Lissa" could instead be, in English, an oft-shortened version of the name "Melissa".
Lissa's Japanese name, Liz, could be the shortened version of the name "Elizabeth", functioning as a reference to her position as a member of the Ylissean royalty, albeit an unconventional one who breaks away from the mould of regal dignity and demureness that is expected of her ilk.
Also, the modern Amphibian taxa is known as "Lissamphibia", and Lissa has a big thing for putting amphibians down people's clothes, possibly not a coincidence.
- Lissa's official artwork depicts her wielding a Heal Staff.
- Lissa's unique victory pose as a Sage has her proudly raise her fist in cheer.
- Lissa has unique battle models for each of her Cleric related classes:
- According to the Official Fire Emblem: Awakening Comic from Nintendo Dream, Lissa is 10 years younger than Emmeryn, making her roughly 15 years old at the start of Fire Emblem: Awakening.
- If a Support Conversation involving Lissa is started on the Preparation Screen for the Harvest Scramble, Lissa will wear a party hat in that conversation.