The Mage (魔導士 Madōshi) is a combat magical class that recurrently appears across the Fire Emblem Series. Mages primarily arm themselves with Anima Magic as their weapon of choice, although certain titles see them specialising in specific types of Anima Magic and are further split into Fire Mages, Thunder Mages and Wind Mages.
History in the SeriesEdit
In Gaiden, Mages act as one of the promoted forms of the Villager class and can further promote into the Sage class. The Mage's promotion into the Sage class is not treated as the golden standard until several titles later in the series.
In Mystery of the Emblem, the Mage class is reverted to promoting into the Bishop class yet again.
In Genealogy of the Holy War, the Mage (マージ Māji) class is split into a number of different variants: The classic Mage, alongside the Fire, Thunder and Wind Mages. The Mage class, depending on the character in question, promotes into a variety of different classes; Azelle and Arthur promote into Mage Knights, while Tine promotes into a Mage Fighter.
The advent of The Binding Blade sees the Sage class being instituted as the staple promoted form of the Mage class, although variations deviating from this rule do exist.
In The Sacred Stones, the Mage class is further given the option to promote into Mage Knights alongside Sages.
In Path of Radiance, the Mage class, although not clearly split into three distinct types like in Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776, does, depending on the character, exhibit signs of specialising in specific types of magic. Soren, for one, specialises in Wind Magic, while Ilyana specialises in Thunder Magic. Mages promote into Sages in this title.
In Radiant Dawn, Mages are again split into three different types, each one specialising in specific branches of Anima Magic. Fire, Thunder and Wind Mages are again reintroduced to the series, promoting into Fire, Thunder and Wind Sages respectively.
In Fates, the class is known as the Diviner (呪い師 Majinaishi lit. Conjuror) class and is a Hoshidan class. Diviners can either promote into Onmyoji (the game's equivalent to the classic Sage class) or Basara. Its Nohrian counterpart is the Dark Mage.
The stats boasted by Mages have few consistencies, but they will almost always have a very high Resistance relative to Defense. This, alongside their strong magic, makes it prudent for them to be effectively utilized in order to block enemy magic users. They must, however, avoid direct combat with physical units due to not being able to sustain too much damage inflicted in such situations. Mages usually promote into Sages, a class that is granted the ability to wield Staves alongside Anima Magic for healing and other utility purposes.
|FE4||26||0||7||6||6||0||7||1||5||-||-||C C C|
|FE5||18/16||0||2||2/1||3/4||0||0||-||6||4/3||-||E E E|
|FE9||16||0||3||2/1||4/5||0||2/1||4/5||5||9/5||9/5||E E E|
|FE4||80||15||22||21||21||30||16||20||5||-||-||C C C|
|FE5||80||20||20||20||20||20||20||-||20||20||-||A A A|
|FE9||40||10||20||20||20||40||10||20||5||9/5||9/5||A A A|
|FE13|| Magic +2|
|Learnt at Level 1.|
Learnt at Level 10.
|FE14|| Magic +2|
|Learnt at Level 1 and above.|
Learnt at Level 10 and above.
|Base Class||Promotion Method||Promoted Class(es)|
|FE1||Mage||Use a Bishop Ring on a Level 10+ Mage.||Bishop|
|FE2||Villager||Visit a shrine after reaching Level 3.||Mage|
|FE2||Mage||Visit a shrine after reaching Level 12.||Sage (Males)|
|FE2||Mage||Visit a shrine after reaching Level 20.||Priestess (Females)|
|FE3||Mage||Use a Bishop Ring on a Level 10+ Mage.||Bishop|
|FE4||Mage||Choose the "Class Change" option in the Home Castle when the relevant unit reaches Level 20.||Mage Knight (Azelle and Arthur)|
Mage Fighter (Tine)
|FE5 (Asbel)||Mage||Use a Knight Proof on a Level 10+ Mage.||Sage|
|FE5 (Miranda)||Mage||Use a Knight Proof on a Level 10+ Mage.||Mage Knight|
|TS||Mage||Use a Saint Proof on a Level 10+ Mage.||Sage|
|FE6||Mage||Use a Guiding Ring on a Level 10+ Mage.||Sage|
|FE7||Mage||Use a Guiding Ring on a Level 10+ Mage.||Sage|
|FE8||Pupil||Automatically at the start of next map after reaching Level 10.||Mage|
|FE8||Mage||Use a Guiding Ring on a Level 10+ Mage.||Sage|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Mage.|
|FE11||Mage||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Mage.||Sage|
|FE12||Mage||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Mage.||Sage|
|FE13||Mage||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Mage.||Sage|
|FE14||Diviner||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Diviner.||Onmyoji|
- Merric - A mage who studied under Wendell in Khadein; wields the tome Excalibur.
- Linde - Daughter of Miloah who wields the tome Aura.
- Boey - An eager young apprentice mage who is devoted to Celica's protection.
- Luthier - Brother of Delthea; forced to guard the floodgates between Zofia and Rigel.
- Mae - A young yet skilled mage.
- Delthea - Sister of Luthier; was brainwashed by the necromancer Tatarrah.
- Sonya - Subordinate of Grieth.
- Possible promotion for: Kliff, Gray, Tobin, Faye, Atlas, Saber, Kamui, Jesse and Deen.
Note: Delthea and Sonya are originally Witches as enemies and join as Mages in the game.
- Jubelo - Prince of Grust and twin brother of Yuliya.
- Arlen - Mage of Khadein who studied under Wendell.
- Azelle - Noble of Velthomer and the half-brother of Arvis.
- Arthur - Son of Tailtiu.
- Tine - Daughter of Tailtiu.
- Asbel - Mage from Frest, one of Ced's students. Wielder of the tome Grafcalibur.
- Miranda - Princess of Alster.
- Maruju - The son of Alfred and Sylpheeze. Wielder of ☆Wundergust.
- Meriah - The younger sister of Rishel. Wielder of ☆Starlight.
- Alicia - A mage from Leda raised by Alfred. Wielder of ☆Brenthunder.
- Rishel - The son of Naris and Rose. Wielder of ☆Sunflame.
- Lugh - One of Nino's son and twin brother of Raigh.
- Lilina - Daughter of Marquess Hector of Ostia.
- Hugh - Son of Canas and grandson of Niime.
- Soren - Member and tactician of the Greil Mercenaries
- Ilyana - A citizen of Daein with a voracious appetite.
- Tormod - Leader of the Laguz Emancipation Army.
- Katarina - One of the assassins and the boss of Prologue VIII.
- Miriel - An eloquent and methodical Shepherds scholar who is known for her passion for research and expanding her knowledge.
- Ricken - A young member of the Shepherds who dislikes being treated as a child and has an affinity for small animals.
- Laurent - Son of Miriel from the future. As equally eloquent, and methodical as his mother, but with a desire to understand the mechanical aspects of things.
- (SpotPass) Merric, Linde, Boey, Arthur, Lugh, Nino, Lute and Soren.
- Orochi - A old-fashioned speaking girl from a long line of Hoshidan diviners with a playful personality and a love of fortune-telling. She is one of Mikoto's retainers.
- Hayato - A member of Wind Tribe and adopted son of its leader, Fuga. Despite his young age, he is a prodigy who tries his best to mask his childish tendencies.
- Rhajat - Daughter of Hayato. Grim and recluse, she has very little interest in other things aside from her admiration and obsession with the Avatar.
- In a support conversation between Erk and Pent in The Blazing Blade, it is revealed that a Mage can die by employing their magic too often. Mages can also transfer their magic power to another Mage in order to help avert this problem. This same issue is also revealed between a support conversation with Ewan and Saleh in The Sacred Stones, where Saleh mentions that "using too much magic can drain both body and soul."
- Male Mages are designed with hoods, while female Mages are not.