A Mercenary (also known as Fighter in TearRing Saga: Utna Heroes Saga) is a class of soldiers that use swords only. They tend toward balanced statistics, although they generally have low resistance. Their defense is usually higher than a Myrmidon, but they may not be as fast. They have very high Skill and decent Strength, along with better HP than the Myrmidon. Some Mercenaries suffer from low Luck though. There are many characters in the series called mercenaries, like the Greil Mercenaries, but only a few characters are actually of the Mercenary class.
Up until the introduction of female Mercenaries in Fire Emblem: Awakening, Malice from Fire Emblem: Akaneia Saga was the only female member of that class. Before then, all Mercenaries had been male, but female Heroes (though extremely rare) were not entirely unknown.
Mercenaries are some of the most powerful fighters you can have on the field since in most cases they can deal lots of damage while being able to take a few hits as well. Their one problem is that once they are surrounded by enemies, they can't leave the battlefield since their Movement is average. However, a high-level Mercenary can dispatch hordes of axe users with ease, and even stand a chance of avoiding lance and sword attacks. They will more often than not strike their target, and score a few Critical Hits due to their high Skill.
- Hero, usually with a Hero Crest.
- Ranger or Hero using the Hero Crest in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- Myrmidon, at Level 7 and after visiting a shrine, in Fire Emblem Gaiden
Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no TsurugiEdit
- Ogma - A mercenary of Talys hired by King Mostyn to protect Caeda
- Caesar - A mercenary hired to protect Port Warren
Note: Nabarl and Radd are Myrmidons in the remake.
Mystery of the EmblemEdit
Note: Samto is a Myrmidon in the remake.
Note: Malice is a Myrmidon in the remake.
Fūin no TsurugiEdit
- Dieck - Leader of a small mercenary company hired by Eliwood
- Ogier - A mercenary from Ilia hired by Ostia
Rekka no KenEdit
- Raven - Originally Lord Raymond of House Cornwell, who seeks revenge against Ostia, and Priscilla's older brother
- Glass - A Sacaen swordsman who tries to steal the Mani Katti, boss of Chapter 2