“Hm...you made it this far. I congratulate you. But can you defeat me?”
—Murdock's battle quote in The Binding Blade
When King Desmond poisoned Zephiel, Murdock was the one who nursed him back to health. He is Zephiel's most trusted subordinate and has been appointed the leader of the three Dragon Generals. During the time Narcian was a Dragon General, Galle served as Murdock's lieutenant. Later, after Narcian is slain and is replaced by Galle, Pereth, a Bern General, serves as Murdock's lieutenant.
He has a brief cameo in the prequel, Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade, rebuking a soldier questioning King Desmond's actions and claiming something must be done about the tyrant. He later gives the player a Warp staff as thanks for saving Zephiel's life.
Murdock is a very strong combatant. He has unparalleled accuracy and massive defense, even without the throne advantage, fair resistance, and high strength. He is also the only possessor of the Tomahawk, the axe's equivalent to the Spear. In case for promoting any late Knights and Cavaliers, he also possesses a Knight Crest that can only be retrieved by a Thief, as there are no dropable items in this chapter. Despite all of his glory in and outside of game he is fairly easy to beat with the right strategy.
- The first method, and easiest strategy, is to give Fir or Rutger (provided they are Swordmasters with acceptable strength) an Armorslayer and let them loose on Murdock. It can take 1 to 4 turns depending on how lucky you are with criticals but it will be an unbelievably easy way to do away with the Level 20 general, as he is very unlikely to hit you in the counterattack.
- The second method would be to bring in strong units capable of using a Hammer; Gonzales as a Berserker could probably destroy Murdock in a single hit provided it crits. Just remember to have a healer close by, in case anyone gets hit by a stray tomahawk throw.
- The third method would be to bring in your 3 promoted armor knights (if they all survived). Their Triangle Attacks will wear down on Murdock provided you stick to using axes (a hammer could also prove very useful here too).
- The fourth method is to switch to Mages. Be wary... Murdock will most likely be able to one hit kill some of your Mages, if not you must make sure they cannot be doubled. Have good supports on hand to help with evade and have healers close by to make up for any stray hits.
- Perhaps the easiest, most mindless tactic of them all is to outlast Murdock. Being equipped with only a 15-uses Tomahawk, it is impossible for Murdock to do away with any attacker he cannot double with healing support. If your attacker is not ranged, be sure to rescue and drop the healer with any combatants that cannot face Murdock to ensure you can heal your unit every turn without risking Murdock attacking the healer instead of the unit in front of him.
You could combine any of the previous tactics in case characters are too weak to do the job on their own.
“So! You are General Roy! I have always been looking forward to matching blades with you!”
—Murdock to Roy
“Miledy... I don't want to fight you, but you stand here before me. It seems we have no choice. Come!”
—Murdock to Melady
“You were one of Narcian's troops... I heard the story from Galle. I do feel sorry for you, but you are currently an enemy. Come! We fight!”
—Murdock to Zeiss
“Gah...! You...are strong... Zephiel... My king... I cannot protect you...any further... Forgive me...!”
—Murdock's death quote in The Binding Blade
Murdock's event theme is called Dignity, and plays in The Binding Blade in events where he is the focus. His battle theme, like the other two Dragon Generals, is In The Name of Bern.
'Murdock' comes from the Irish 'Murchadh' meaning 'sea warrior'. His Japanese name, Mardoc, comes from the patron god of Babylon.
- According to a Japanese gaming news website, Murdock landed 49th place out of 80 in the character popularity poll for Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade.
- Murdock appears to have not changed in the least in the 20 year gap between The Blazing Blade and The Binding Blade. The only physical changes in 20 years being slightly more receded hair and baggier eyes.
- The Fire Emblem Heroes: Choose Your Legends ballot briefly displayed Murdock's name as Marduk. The error was later corrected.