“Come forth, Medusa! Honor the pact you've sworn to me!”
Nuibaba (ヌイババ) is an enemy character from Fire Emblem Gaiden. A dreaded arcanist of the Duma Faithful, she is known as the mistress of Fear Mountain who sold her soul for the power of Medusa. She holds Tatiana hostage to force Zeke to fight against Zofia. She is 124 years old.
Nuibaba's role is expanded in the remake. As Alm's forces approach the western sluice gate in Act 3, she appeals to Berkut with an offer of aid as he seeks to redeem himself in the eyes of Emperor Rudolf. Berkut rejects Nuibaba's direct assistance, but she gives him a special mirror that he is to shatter in a time of desperation.
Nuibaba has her own plans for the Brand Bearers and doesn't plan on handing them over to Jedah. This is because she has been sacrificing pretty Rigelian girls to keep herself young and beautiful, but she believes that if she sacrifices Alm or Celica instead, she'll become immortal.
*Due to equipped Mage Ring
“Come close... Let me share with you death's embrace!”
—Battle quote in Echoes
- "Now sleep!"
- "Excited yet?!"
- "I think not!"
“Ahhhh... It cannot be... I won't be...”
—Death quote in Echoes
When translated from Japanese, "baba" or "婆" can translate as "old woman" or more crudely, "hag."
- Nuibaba's gender was unspecified in the Japanese script for Gaiden, though in some fan translations the character was referred to as male. However, in Fire Emblem Echoes, Nuibaba is now established as female.
- Nuibaba's physical appearance changed dramatically between her original appearance in Gaiden and the remake Echoes. In Gaiden, she appears in a heavy cloak, with wrinkled skin that appears snake-like. In Echoes, she has a more youthful appearance, the snake-like traits are exchanged for horns and pointed ears, and her attire is more revealing. Both versions of Nuibaba hide one eye from view. In Gaiden, one eye is obscured by her cloak, while in Echoes, she wears a partial mask over her face.
- Nuibaba was an Arcanist in the original game, but changed to a Witch in the remake. However, she is the only known Witch to retain her own will, perhaps because she sold her soul to Medusa rather than Duma (and was not sacrificed by someone else).
- Nuibaba shares her English voice actress, Cindy Robinson, with Awakening's Libra and Aversa.
- In Echoes, Nuibaba is not only a beautiful sorceress but is said to have captured "young and comely" Rigelian women to sacrifice them and preserve her beauty. This seems to be an allusion to Elizabeth "the Blood Countess" Báthory, a Hungarian noblewoman accused of having killed thousands of young women to bathe in their blood and keep herself young. It's speculated that, if Zeke is fought and killed before fighting Nuibaba, Tatiana becomes one of her sacrifices.
- Nuibaba's form is a statue in the Altar of the Sorceress DLC, allowing Priestess class characters Delthea, Mae, Sonya, Yuzu and Faye, provided she became a female mage upon promotion from villager, to the Enchantress Overclass.