“I am Nyna of House Archanea. 'Tis Archanea's burden to protect the world of crisis- a duty I have striven to fulfill. But Dolhr has laid waste to my kingdom, and now I find myself powerless to stop the world from falling into ruin. Marth... Please, pick up the banner where I have let it fall. Lead your might against Dolhr, and free us all.”
—Nyna in Shadow Dragon.
Nyna (ニーナ, Niena, referred to as Niena in the Japanese versions and Nina in the fan translations) is an NPC character in Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi, and a playable character in Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem. She is the Princess of Archanea, and the only member of the royal family left alive when the Dolhr Empire invaded her country.
After Archanea is invaded by Dolhr, Nyna was to be executed with the rest of her family. Fortunately, she was protected by the Grustian Sable Knight Camus, who eventually hands her over to Archanea's ally, Hardin in the Kingdom of Aurelis. Assisted by Hardin, she joins up with Marth and eventually accompanies him in his quest, handing over the Archanean royal treasure, the Fire Emblem, to Marth. Unfortunately, Marth's quest led him to a fight against Camus, who wishes to die defending his country, in which Camus was defeated. Nyna was struck with grief when she thought Camus died, but she held up and accompanied Marth to the end of his quest for the sake of the country.
After the war, Nyna was pressured by Boah to decide who she would wed and therefore, make the new emperor of Archanea. The two choices were Marth and Hardin, the only eligible males of royalty. Although her heart still yearned for Camus and she was not interested in either bachelors, she finally to proposed to Hardin. The decision was based on her knowledge that her good friend Caeda was in mutual love with Marth and Nyna did not want to break their hearts. As she loved only Camus but was pressured to wed, she had to pretend to love Hardin.
When Hardin discovered this, he was shattered and he became distraught, Eventually, grief led him to accept the Darksphere Gharnef offered him, which consumed his soul and turns him into a mad tyrant. Nyna blamed herself for his fall to darkness as she was the cause of his sorrow. Fortunately, before she was taken by Gharnef to be sacrificed for Medeus' revival, she managed to entrust the Fire Emblem to her trusted apprentice, Linde, and ordered her to give it to Marth. Ultimately, Sirius, a masked knight who Nyna suspects is Camus, wakes her up from Medeus' mind control. Afterwards, she left the kingdom in Marth's hands and vanished, presumably following Sirius.
Nyna seems to be sad about something almost all the time, as seen on her facial expression in her face portrait. She is a kind, understanding princess who is well-loved by her people.
However, she does have at least one weakness, which would become a fatal flaw: following Boah's command to pretend to love Hardin, which she disagreed with since she loved Camus, but still went through for political reasons. Putting her own happiness aside for the sake of others would this time be a huge undoing, as Hardin's doubts about Nyna's feelings left him liable to be manipulated later. . .
- Recruiting Nyna prevents Medeus from devouring her and recovering health, but as she comes in during the Final Chapter with low base stats and low growths (except for weapon level), developing her as a unit is extremely difficult. Additionally, the enemies in the chapter are powerful and immune to magic, so she will be in danger of being killed by them. She is only really playable in the first and fourth map Fire Emblem: Archanea Saga. The first map involves her as the main character escaping Archanea's castle after it fell to Dolhr and the Sable Order Of Knights (and thus her first meeting with Camus). The second map has her as the main character along with Camus as he tries to get her to safety in Aurelis. In these two maps she is a main character and her growths are put to use.
- Sirius - 10%
- Part 1: Auotmatic from the start.
- Part 4: Automatic from the start.
- Nyna is a lord character when playable, and her death results in a Game Over. However, she wields no starting magic and thus serves as a healer, only being able to attack in Part 1 where she can wield an acquirable Thunder tome.
- Chapter 24: Enemy, Talk with Sirius.
- In Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~, Nyna is once again available only in the last Chapter, and her recruitment prevents Medeus from recovering health by eating her. Her base stats have been raised slightly, her growth rates have been raised significantly, and high weapon ranks allow her to use powerful staves immediately, but she risks being killed by the powerful enemies in the chapter if not moved to safety.
New Archanea Saga
- Part 1: Automatic from the start.
- Part 4: Automatic from the start.
*Dropped if killed as an Enemy.
*Enemy only, joins unequipped.
—Nyna's Death Quote in Mystery of the Emblem
Mystery of the EmblemEdit
Archanea princess Nyna
After the war, she left Archanea in Marth's hands and vanished...
Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~Edit
After the war, Nyna left Archanea in Marth's capable hands and vanished...
In the Fire Emblem anime, only a picture of Nyna appears during episode 1, when Cain is arguing his point that above all else Nyna and Aurelis need to be rescued before Dolhr gets to them.
In the manga, her first appearance is in volume 2, where she is staying with Hardin at Aurelis Secondary Castle. She thinks a lot about Camus and the day that they parted after he saved her. While she is in the castle, she gets a surprise visit from an injured Caeda, who barely makes it to Aurelis Secondary Castle to give Nyna a silver sword from Marth as a symbol of Altea's devotion to Archanea. Shiida then explains to Hardin that her pegasus felt something odd to the west. Hardin realizes that what the pegasus feared was actually dracoknights from Macedon, who have come to kill Nyna and Hardin and take Aurelis. Although Roshea and Villick are sent by Hardin to protect her, Nyna and Shiida are almost killed by a dracoknight until Wolf and Marth save them. She seems to strike a friendship with Shiida, and through a conversation between the two it is revealed that Shiida is in love with Marth, while Nyna is still grieving Camus leaving her.
- Nyna's relationship with Camus may have been a secret, known to only a select few. Only Boah and Marth refer to it, and Hardin was unaware of her relationship at the end of the War of Shadows. It is likely that the open knowledge of her relationship would have sparked a political controversy.
- In Shadow Dragon, when Nyna appears on the field before a battle, her class is that of a Sage. In Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~ she is a Bishop once again. Her class change in Shadow Dragon may have been to counteract fellow NPC Bishop Malledus.
- In the Fire Emblem anime, Cain refers to Nyna as the princess of Aurelis.