“I am Nyna of House Archanea. 'Tis Archanea's burden to protect the world of crisis- a duty I have striven to fulfill. But Dolhr has laid waste to my kingdom, and now I find myself powerless to stop the world from falling into ruin. Marth... Please, pick up the banner where I have let it fall. Lead your might against Dolhr, and free us all.”
—Nyna in Shadow Dragon.
Nyna (ニーナ Nīna, Nina in the Japanese version) is a non-playable character in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and a playable character in Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem. She is the princess of Archanea and only surviving member of the royal family, as the rest were slain when the Dolhr Empire invaded her country.
After Archanea's fall to the Dolhr Empire, Nyna and her personal guard, Dolph, Tomas, Macellan, and Midia, were led by Boah to escape Castle Archanea. During the escape, they were ambushed, leading Boah to attempt to reason with the Dolhrian soldiers to ensure Nyna's safety. Nyna, defying Boah's attempt, ordered her soldiers to fight the Dolhrians. Reinforcements arrived shortly after, eventually leading Nyna and her entourage to be cornered in a room in which she meets Grustian Sable Knight Camus. One of her knights, Midia, charges at Camus who strikes her down, and upon her fall, Nyna urges Camus to kill her because she has no wish to live with Midia fallen. Camus instead attempts to reason with Nyna and expound on why he killed her father as well as the matter of keeping Nyna alive. After being explained that King Archanea was a hedonistic and malignant ruler and Nyna's leadership paired with the adoration of her people was now required to usher a renewing of Archanea, Nyna scoffed at Camus. Camus then confronts her about the Archanean occupation in which he would be willing to collaborate with Nyna for the reformation and reconstruction of Archanea. Nyna agrees but explains that she will always bear hatred of him and will not hesitate to kill him when the time comes to reform an Archanean league to combat Dolhr in the future. Nyna then dedicates the next two years into assembling an army and reconstructing Archanea to overthrow the empire.
Two years later, and the Altean forces apporach Nyna and Camus. Nyna was eventually handed her over to Archanea's ally, Prince Hardin of Aurelis. With Hardin's help, she meets up Marth and accompanies him in his quest, gifting him with the Archanean royal treasure, the Fire Emblem. In the later stages of the war, Marth is placed in opposition to Camus, who refuses to surrender due to his deep loyalty to his country, and ultimately defeats him. Nyna is struck with grief when Camus is presumed to have died, as she is in love with him, but continues to accompany Marth on the rest of his quest for the sake of Archanea.
After the war concludes, Nyna is pressured by Boah to choose a foreign man of royal heritage to wed and therefore make into the new king of Archanea. Her two options are Marth and Hardin, and although her heart still yearns for Camus, she chooses Hardin as her husband. This decision is based on her knowledge of her friend Caeda's mutual love with Marth and Nyna does not want to break their hearts.
Nyna pretends to love Hardin, despite romantically loving only Camus. When Hardin discovers this, he becomes distraught from grief and soon accepts the Darksphere from Gharnef, thereafter falling under its possession and transforming into a mad tyrant.
Nyna blames herself for Hardin's fall into darkness, believing that she is the only cause of his sorrow and heartbreak. She entrusts the Fire Emblem to her apprentice, Linde, who returns it to Marth as a request. Once Hardin finds out about this, he hands Nyna over to Gharnef, who prepares to sacrifice her alongside Lena, Maria, and Elice to revive Medeus as a Dark Dragon.
During the final chapter, Nyna is awakened from Medeus's mind control by a mysterious masked knight named Sirius, whom she correctly suspects to be Camus. However, he denies this and vanishes once Medeus is once again slain by Marth. Afterwards, she leaves Archanea in the hands of Marth and disappears, presumably to confront Sirius(Camus)(Zeke) in Valentia or to find her own path after all her sorrows.
Having endured many tragedies in her life, Nyna almost always appears to be sorrowful, as seen by her facial expression on her face portrait. Much of her life is filled with nothing but regretful choices and living with little personal happiness. However, she has harbored deep affection for Camus, the man who rescued her from her family's execution, but even that happiness ends in heartbreak for her.
She is a kind and understanding woman and earned the respect of Marth. She is also a close friend of Caeda, whom she willingly declined marriage to Marth for Hardin out of respect for her friend's feelings for him. She is willing to throw aside her personal happiness, even enduring a loveless marriage solely for her people's well being, ultimately acting in their best interest. For this, Nyna shows a lot of emotional strength and shows true qualities of a leader of the people, inspiring many people to fight for her.
- Recruiting Nyna prevents Medeus from devouring her and recovering health, but as she comes in during the Final Chapter with low base stats and low growths (except for weapon level), developing her as a unit is extremely difficult. Additionally, the enemies in the chapter are powerful and immune to magic, so she will be in danger of being killed by them. She is only really playable in the first and fourth map Fire Emblem: Archanea Saga. The first map involves her as the main character escaping Archanea's castle after it fell to Dolhr and the Sable Order Of Knights (and thus her first meeting with Camus). The second map has her as the main character along with Camus as he tries to get her to safety in Aurelis. In these two maps she is a main character and her growths are put to use.
- Sirius - 10%
- Part 1: Auotmatic from the start.
- Part 4: Automatic from the start.
- Nyna is a lord character when playable, and her death results in a Game Over. However, she wields no starting magic and thus serves as a healer, only being able to attack in Part 1 where she can wield an acquirable Thunder tome.
- Chapter 24: Enemy, Talk with Sirius.
- In New Mystery of the Emblem, Nyna is once again available only in the last Chapter, and her recruitment prevents Medeus from recovering health by eating her. Her base stats have been raised slightly, her growth rates have been raised significantly, and high weapon ranks allow her to use powerful staves immediately, but she risks being killed by the powerful enemies in the chapter if not moved to safety.
New Archanea Saga
- Part 1: Automatic from the start.
- Part 4: Automatic from the start.
*Dropped if killed as an Enemy.
*Enemy only, joins unequipped.
—Nyna's Death Quote in Mystery of the Emblem
Mystery of the EmblemEdit
- Archanea princess Nyna
- "After the war, she left Archanea in Marth's hands and vanished..."
New Mystery of the EmblemEdit
- Eternal Princess
- "After the war, Nyna left Archanea in Marth's capable hands and vanished..."
In the Fire Emblem anime, only a picture of Nyna appears during episode 1, when Cain is arguing his point that above all else Nyna and Aurelis need to be rescued before Dolhr gets to them.
In the manga, her first appearance is in volume 2, where she is staying with Hardin at Aurelis Secondary Castle. She thinks a lot about Camus and the day that they parted after he saved her. While she is in the castle, she gets a surprise visit from an injured Caeda, who barely makes it to Aurelis Secondary Castle to give Nyna a silver sword from Marth as a symbol of Altea's devotion to Archanea. Caeda then explains to Hardin that her pegasus felt something odd to the west. Hardin realizes that what the pegasus feared was actually dracoknights from Macedon, who have come to kill Nyna and Hardin and take Aurelis. Although Roshea and Villick are sent by Hardin to protect her, Nyna and Caeda are almost killed by a dracoknight until Wolf and Marth save them. She seems to strike a friendship with Caeda, and through a conversation between the two it is revealed that Caeda is in love with Marth, while Nyna is still grieving Camus leaving her.
Nyna is illustrated in the trading card game with the following card:
- Nyna's relationship with Camus may have been a secret, known to only a select few. Only Boah and Marth refer to it and Hardin was unaware of her relationship at the end of the War of Shadows. It is likely that the open knowledge of her relationship would have sparked a political controversy.
- In Shadow Dragon, when Nyna appears on the field before a battle, her class is that of a Sage. In Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem she is a Bishop once again. Her class change in Shadow Dragon may have been to counteract fellow NPC Bishop Malledus.
- In the Fire Emblem anime, Cain refers to Nyna as the princess of Aurelis.
- She is briefly mentioned in a memory prism scene in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. In the scene, when Tatiana comes upon an unconscious and injured Camus, she hears him say Nyna's name.
- Furthermore, Zeke's death quote has him remembering someone, who is presumably Nyna.