These units are first introduced in Chapter 1 where they spawn from a portal. They are officially given the name Risen in the next chapter. The Risen are humans who were killed and reanimated by Grima. It is later revealed that much of the Risen that spawned in the current time actually came from the future through the portal that Grima created to prevent Lucina and the other children from altering the future. According to Brady even wounded people can potentially become Risen. Risen usually carry little sentience, and speak in fragments rather then full sentences. However, as time passes, their words become much more clearer and they begin to speak in full sentences without struggling in saying words. When a Risen is slain, their bodies turn into dark dust which dissipates quickly.
Risen also have human qualities to them, but it is very likely that they seem to fade as time passes. This is shown in the DLC Death's Embrace, where killing specific classes results in them thanking the player for ending their torment. They may also appear to have a desire to belong, as they always seem to be attacking places where groups of people like to gather, as shown in the DLC Hot-Spring Scramble.
They are composed of various human classes and are mostly male dominated, though there are some female Risen as well. These human risen wield various weaponry depending on their classes. There are also grunt level Risen who are Revenants and Entombed, attacking with sharp Claws and Talons. They are sometimes led by the more powerful Risen Chiefs (Corpse Generals in the Japanese version).
Risen may also pop up in random locations once every hour of in-game time, and disappear from those locations. However, completing a Paralogue, or Chapter can cause Risen to spawn without waiting, but can be random as they do not have a 100% chance to appear. Use of a Reeking Box will spawn them at the player's location immediately, provided there is nothing else on that location.
Due to their random spawning pattern, the following may happen should they appear with one of the following:
- Two Risen groups: The player fights both groups at once, with the two commanders being in the spots they may spawn in individually. After defeating all groups, the player receives 3000 Gold and a random rank B item or a stat boosting item.
- Risen Group and Merchant: A Merchant now appears on the field, usually in a place close to the player's position. If the Merchant survives the skirmish, the player will receive an item from her and she will open her shop afterwards. If the Merchant does not survive, she will disappear with the Risen.
- Risen Group and SpotPass Team: The SpotPass team will act as your allies for the duration of the skirmish. Like other SpotPass Teams, any casualties they suffer will not affect future runs. After the skirmish is over, the SpotPass team will vanish.
- Grima - Leader
- Risen Chiefs - Bosses in that appear in a few chapters, DLC's and Paralogues.
- Deadlords - The twelve bosses of Chapter 22 and recurring characters that first appeared in the Jugdral Series.
- The Risen's name likely comes from the fact they were humans who were killed and reanimated by Grima and therefore have "risen" from death.