These units are first introduced in Chapter 1 where they spawn from a portal. They are officially given the name Risen in the next chapter. The Risen are humans who were killed and reanimated by Grima. It is later revealed that much of the Risen that spawned in the current time actually came from the future through the portal that Grima created to prevent Lucina and the other children from altering the future. According to Brady even wounded people can potentially become Risen. Risen usually carry little sentience, and speak in fragments rather then full sentences. However, as time passes, their words become much more clearer and they begin to speak in full sentences without struggling in saying words. When a Risen is slain, their bodies turn into dark dust which dissipates quickly.
Risen also have human qualities to them, but it is very likely that they seem to fade as time passes. This is shown in the DLC Death's Embrace, where killing specific classes results in them thanking the player for ending their torment. They may also appear to have a desire to belong, as they always seem to be attacking places where groups of people like to gather, as shown in the DLC Hot-Spring Scramble.
They are composed of various human classes and are mostly male dominated, though there are some female Risen as well. These human risen wield various weaponry depending on their classes. There are also grunt level Risen who are Revenants and Entombed, attacking with sharp Claws and Talons. They are sometimes led by the more powerful Risen Chiefs (Corpse Generals in the Japanese version).
Risen may also pop up in random locations once every hour of in-game time. They can also randomly disappear from the location and another one may pop up in another area. However, use of a Reeking Box will spawn Risen to the area immediately, although there are a few restrictions to using it. Like Merchants, they will never spawn in prologues and chapters the player hasn't done yet. It is possible for Risen to converge and players will end up having two Risen commanders in one area; defeating both of them results in random rewards from the locals.
- Grima - Leader
- Risen Chiefs - Bosses in that appear in a few chapters, DLC's and Paralogues.
- Deadlords - The twelve bosses of Chapter 22 and recurring characters that first appeared in the Jugdral Series.
- A Risen skirmish will result in the following:
- After fighting off Risen in the area, Frederick tells Chrom that the area is clear and it should be safe for a spell.
- If players have defeated two Risen groups in the same area (both at the same time, not individually), he will tell Chrom that the villagers are thankful and gives the player some rewards.
- The Risen's name likely comes from the fact they were humans who were killed and reanimated by Grima and therefore have "risen" from death.