“Believe me, lass, I ain’t worried about a couple sea rats. All I’m worried about is if you can pay. I don’t work charity cases. Especially when I’m risking my own neck.”
—Saber to Celica in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.
A former member of the Rigelian army, Saber is a Mercenary that Celica hires to protect her group during their seaborne journey. Ever since his employment, Saber more or less acts as Celica's advisor, albeit an unconventional one. After the war, he marries an unknown woman and joins Jesse's kingdom.
Saber is a coarse seaman with a dry sense of humor. He acts very fatherly towards Celica and is very blunt and brutally honest with his speech mannerisms.
In Chapter 2, talk to him at the Novis Greatport.
Saber is the first recruitable Mercenary available on Celica's route. He is also the first physical unit that Celica acquires, giving him an important role in the early game as one of the strongest and most durable fighter in Celica's army until the player recruits Valbar and Kamui. In the long term, his growth rates are very unusual for a mercenary, as he has notably high HP and defense growths, with mediocre skill and speed and only average strength. As Gaiden's promotion system lets your units jump straight into next class' base stats, this won't trouble him much as his promotions to myrmidon and Dread Fighter will compensate for his low speed and skill growths with their high speed and skill bases. His high defensive growths will also make him one of the more durable members of Celica's team. Overall, his good stats, powerful class, and his great availability, means he will have little difficulty reaching his promotion thresholds before any other mercenaries in Celica's team, making him the earliest myrmidon and dread fighter on her team.
With only a few weaknesses and advantages afforded to him by his class, great availability, and unique growth rates, Saber is one of the most powerful and long lasting members of Celica's team.
Personal Max StatsEdit
Saber's growths have been improved significantly, having much better growths in the 3DS remake than in the original NES game. Like in the original, Saber is the first recruitable melee unit in Celica's route, and with his solid HP and defense growth rates, he can, with a couple of levels, quickly become an important defensive unit early in the game. However, due to his improved growths in this game, when more melee characters are recruited, Saber's growths are high enough that he can stand out easier, especially since he can be a couple of levels higher by the time the next Mercenary, Kamui, is recruited.
“Keh, the hell...”
—Saber's death quote in Gaiden.
Level Up Edit
- "Hm? The hell was that?" (1 stat up)
- "Am I sharp today or what?"
- "Ha! Leave the heavy lifting to me."
- "Seems lady luck's on my side this time."
- "I'm good, thanks." (Near stat capping)
Class Change Edit
- "All right, then. Challenge accepted!"
Battle Quotes Edit
First Turn Selection Edit
- "All right, I'll handle this."
- "I'll take care of it." (mid health)
- "This one's gonna hurt." (low health)
- "Well, hell. I've come this far. Might as well see the damn thing through to the end, lass." (final map)
Enemy Dodges Edit
Enemy does only one damage Edit
- "Saw that coming a mile away!"
- "You've got a lot to learn."
Enemy Misses Edit
- "You got a lot to learn."
Being Healed Edit
- "Hey! Thanks."
- "I owe ya one."
Used Healing Item Edit
- "I ain't picky but, really?" (disliked)
- "Eh, I've had worse." (neutral)
- "Huh, That's pretty good!" (liked)
- "That's mighty a kind!" (loved)
Critical Attack Edit
- "You can't win."
- "Get a load of this!"
- "You don't know when to quit."
Finishing Blow Edit
- "Where you going?"
- "How's that!"
Enemy Defeated Edit
- "That was an easy one."
- *groans* "Gonna be sore tomorrow."
- "Oof. Tough luck."
- "That's another one down."
- "Hmph, tough luck."
- "About what you'd expect."
Nearby Ally Defeated Enemy Edit
- "Heh. Someone's eager."
Nearby Ally Below Half Health Edit
- "Go get that patched up."
Summary Screen Edit
- "Wish it were always this easy!"
- "Eh, a win's a win."
- *sighs* "I need a minute..." (fatigued)
Death Quotes Edit
“Well, hell... You'd think I'd...know better... Still, it was fun while it lasted...”
—Saber's death quote (classic mode)
“Augh... Damned rookie mistake... Sorry, but I gotta pull back. I ain't ready to die just yet!”
—Saber's retreat quote in Casual Mode
Fire Emblem Gaiden Edit
- (If Jesse is alive)
He joined the establishment of Jesse's kingdom. Meanwhile, he gets to cuddle with a lovely wife.
- (If Jesse is dead)
Together with his lovely wife, he works towards the restoration of the Kingdom of Valentia.
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Edit
- (If Jesse is alive)
"Along with Jesse, Saber helped build the foundation for a new kingdom of, and for, mercenaries. He continued working as a sellsword for years to come and aided the One Kingdom on many occasions—always with his stunning bride by his side."
- (If Jesse is dead)
"Along with his stunning bride, Saber toiled to rebuild Valentia. Though he never officially enlisted as a knight, he put his mercenary skills and experience to work traveling the land and mediating local struggles—either with a fist of steel or a pint of ale."
Saber is illustrated in the trading card game Fire Emblem Cipher with the following cards:
- Saber is the only male character in Gaiden who can use the Seraphim spell.
- Saber shares his Japanese VA, Takehito Koyasu, with Awakening's Lon'qu and Validar, and Fates Niles.
- In Echoes, Saber has a special quote if Celica dies.
- Saber has an unnamed sister whom he has lost contact with. He states that Celica reminds him of said sister.