The Second Seal (Change Proof in the Japanese version) is an item in Fire Emblem: Awakening which allows a unit to change their class into a new class in their class sets. Once reclassed, they will start off at Level 1 and their stats will be modified. Second Seals can be first bought at the Mila Tree after Chapter 16 or, if Olivia, Cordelia, or Nowi have been married before that, as early as Chapter 14 after completing Paralogue 6, Paralogue 10, or Paralogue 16 respectively. They can also be bought from random Merchants after Chapter 4 is completed if that item is in their stocks.
The Second Seal works in different ways depending on the character's current class tier and level:
- A first tier class unit can use this seal starting at Level 10 to change into another first tier class in that character's class set. However they cannot use this to promote them to a second class tier.
- A second tier class unit can use the Second Seal at any level to demote to a first tier class.
- A second tier class unit Level 10 or higher can demote into a first tier class or reclass into a second tier class.
- A special class unit is treated as a first tier and can use the Second Seal once they reach level 10. At Level 30 they are treated as a second tier class.
- A unit at max level in any class can "reset" their level back to 1 without a change in stats.
The main function of Second Seals is to allow units to reclass into other classes to gain skills to use. For pre-promoted characters, it allows them to "reset" their level and allow them to catch up with non-promoted units stat-wise. This can also be used to fix poor stats growths when training units. See Reclassing.