The Sniper (スナイパー Sunaipā) is a combat physical class that recurrently appears across the Fire Emblem Series, beginning from Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi. The promoted form of the Archer and Bow Fighter classes, Snipers wield Bows as their primary weapon of choice. While not particularly different from normal Archers, the Sniper class is open to the more advanced Bows of higher weapon ranks. Like their Archer predecessors, Snipers are able to operate Ballistae.
History in the SeriesEdit
In its original inception in Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi, the Sniper class is established as the staple promoted form of the Archer class, locked to Bows as its sole weapon of choice.
In Mystery of the Emblem, the Sniper class is reverted to simply being the promoted form of the Archer class and is unable to promote any further.
In TearRing Saga: Utna Heroes Saga, the Sniper class is known as the Bow Master (ボウマスター Bou masutā), and is again the promoted form of the Bow Fighter class.
Beginning from Binding Blade, the Sniper class is firmly cemented as the main promoted form of the re-introduced Archer class.
While Snipers do receive a significant boost in Defense and HP as compared to their first-tier forms, they are still very vulnerable targets and cannot sustain too much damage, especially so in earlier titles. In the more recent games, however, Snipers have average Defense, surpassed by heavily armored units but exceeding those boasted by Swordmasters, Sages and the like. These incarnations of the class will often dodge many attacks directed at them, but as they are still locked to attacking at a range and incapable of counterattacking, it is thus risky to consistently deploy them as frontline units. They should therefore work in the backlines instead, supporting the frontlines while being protected from direct harm.
Snipers fight exactly like their Archer counterparts, only with more power. Like Myrmidons becoming Swordmasters, Archers becoming Snipers sometimes receive much higher Critical hit chances, namely in Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon. This bonus shows up less frequently with Snipers than it does with Swordmasters, however.
In WiFi battles, Snipers are a very good class to deploy. They possess enough Speed to double most units, and their naturally high Skill grants them increased critical hit rates. In addition to this, Snipers' use of Bows effectively means that they are immune to the Weapon Triangle, allowing them to strike any target of their choice without fear of any penalties. Although Snipers have low Movement, their ability to use long-range brave weapons is highly valuable. More important is their ability to use Longbows; these are invaluable in breaking chokepoints and chipping away at enemy HP without being hit with a counterattack. This advantage can be better exploited if ballistae are available for use, as enemies can be either weakened or felled simply by constant fire from Snipers operating these machines.
In Fates, the Sniper class is an excellent class to use for several reasons.
From the Archer class (since this is the only class that promotes into Snipers), they will have already learned Quick Draw, which provides a +4 attack boost when they initiate a battle. As they will learn Bowfaire later on, Snipers will benefit from a +9 damage boost when attacking first.
Snipers are also the only class able to reach S Rank in bows. As a result, they are the only unit capable of using Pursuer, and will enjoy extra damage when using bows. Snipers have the highest skill out of every bow user, and with Certain Blow, will ensure that they will hit more often against agile opponents. This helps alleviate the bow's slightly lower accuracy while retaining the massive damage that it cand eal.
Just like in the previous installments, Snipers are still susceptible to close up attacks, showing a weakness to magical attacks. However, with the introduction of the Point Blank skill, this weakness is easily patched.
- ★ - FE10 SP Class.
|FE8||Sure Strike||Class skill of the Sniper class.|
|FE9||Deadeye||Occult skill of the Sniper class; assign with an Occult Scroll.|
|Base skill of all foot units.|
Class skill of the Sniper, Swordmaster and Sentinel classes.
|FE13|| Hit Rate +20|
|Learned at Level 5.|
Learned at Level 15.
|FE14|| Certain Blow|
|Learned at Level 5 and above.|
Learned at Level 15 and above.
|TS||City Fighter||Class skill of the Bow Master class.|
|Base Class||Promotion Method||Promoted Class(es)|
|FE1||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE2||Archer||Visit Shrine after reaching Level 7.||Sniper|
|FE2||Sniper||Visit Shrine after reaching Level 10.||Bow Knight|
|FE3||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE4||Bow Fighter||Choose the "Class Change" option in the Home Castle when the relevant unit reaches Level 20.||Sniper|
|FE5||Bow Fighter||Use a Knight Proof on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE6||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE7||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE8||Archer||Use Orion's Bolt on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer or train an Archer to Level 21.|
|Use a Master Crown on a Level 10+ Sniper or train a Sniper to Level 21.|
|FE11||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE12||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE13||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|FE14||Archer||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Archer.||Sniper|
|TS||Bow Fighter||Use a Knight Proof on a Level 10+ Bow Fighter.||Bow Master|
- Jeorge - A member of the noble Menidy family and loyal to Nyna.
- Promotion for: Gordin, Tomas and Norne.
- Tomas - One of the exclusive playable characters returns in Shin Monshō no Nazo.
- Kuraine - One of the assassins and exclusive boss in Shin Monshō no Nazo.
- Promotion for: Raian, Gordin and Norne.
- Briggid - The long-lost daughter of Duke Ring of Jungby, who was raised by the Orgahill Pirates. The older sister of Adean and the older half-sister of Andorey. The mother of Faval and Patty and the aunt of Lester, Rana and Scopio.
- Draco - One of the twelve Deadlords.
- Promotion for: Jamke, Faval and Asaello.
- Raquel - A bow master known as the "Bow Godess". Swore never to kill another human.
- Promotion for: Ruka and Rennie.
- Klein - The son of Pent and Louise.
- Igrene - The daughter of Hawkeye, and protector of the Nabata Desert.
- Promotion for: Wolt and Dorothy.
- Louise - The wife of Pent.
- Denning - The boss of Chapter 29 (Eliwood's story)/30 (Hector's story)
- Promotion for: Wil and Rebecca.
- Shinon - A senior member of the Greil Mercenaries and a secondary boss of Path of Radiance Chapter 18.
- Norris - The boss of Path of Radiance Chapter 13.
- Rolf - The student of Shinon.
- Silvano - The boss of Radiant Dawn in Chapter 3-P.
- Promotion for: Rolf in Path of Radiance and Leonardo in Radiant Dawn.
- Snipers are the only class that appeared in the entire main series with the same name (except for the Japanese version of Fates) and weapon usage.