“I'm no good at getting help when I need it. That's the problem with seeking perfection. You always feel like you have to do everything alone.”
—Subaki in a support conversation with the Avatar
Subaki (ツバキ, Tsubaki in the Japanese version) is a playable character in Fire Emblem Fates on the Birthright and Revelation routes. One of Sakura's personal retainers, Subaki seeks perfection in all that he does in order to uphold the legacy of his family. If he achieves an S support, he will bear a daughter named Caeldori with his spouse.
Subaki is voiced by Takamasa Mogi in the Japanese version.
Subaki was born into a family belonging to the upper echelons of Hoshido, one that is renowned for having served the royal family for generations. Following the footsteps of his ancestors, Subaki is thus instated as one of Princess Sakura's personal retainers.
Subaki makes his first appearance in Fort Jinya in Chapter 7, where he, alongside his fellow retainer Hana, aids Sakura in tending to the injuries of wounded soldiers and citizens. After receiving news of a Nohrian invasion that has broken out near Fort Jinya, Subaki is engaged in a squabble with Hana, during which they argue over the superiority of their usefulness on the battlefield. Shortly after their quarrel is broken up by Sakura, Subaki accompanies his liege, Hana and the Avatar out of the fort to stage a defence.
Subaki subsequently aids the Avatar's effort to put an end to the age-old conflict shared between Hoshido and Nohr.
Subaki only appears in Chapter 22, where he, alongside Sakura, Hana and Yukimura, stages a defence in Fort Jinya in a bid to halt the Nohrian invasion. When engaged in battle by the Avatar, Subaki will reveal that in spite of their betrayal, Sakura has continued to hold nothing but the highest opinion of them. He then quietly vows to personally defeat the Avatar in order to end his liege's sorrow. Despite the best efforts of both Subaki and the rest of the Hoshidan army, they are eventually defeated.
Subaki first appears at the end of Chapter 8, where he and Hana pursue Sakura after the latter wordlessly departs from Fort Jinya to ally herself with the Avatar's cause. Upon catching up with her, he immediately expresses relief before proclaiming that he and Hana will always support her in all the decisions that she makes.
Subaki subsequently aids the Avatar's effort to put an end to Anankos' machinations.
In Paralogue 13, Subaki reunites with his daughter Caeldori after not having seen her for ages. While in the midst of catching up with her, Subaki is summoned by a Hoshidan soldier to the Riverside to aid in quelling an enemy attack. Caeldori attempts to follow her father, only to be stopped as he urges her to remain behind for the sake of her safety. She later defies Subaki's orders, entering the battlefield and leaping into the fray to aid him. Following the conclusion of the battle, Subaki fawns over his daughter's achievements, expressing praise and admiration. Upon hearing her narrate details on the post-battle activities that she has engaged in, Subaki begins to feel inferior to her, mentally resolving to push himself in order to prevent her from surpassing him.
Subaki is a self-professed perfectionist, a fact that primarily stems from the legacy of his family's traditions, ones that have conditioned him to strive towards achieving perfection in all that he does. As a result of this, Subaki is known to be very demanding and even unforgiving towards himself as he works tirelessly to meet the harsh expectations that he sets for himself. This has in turn caused him to have the tendency to engage in self-reproach whenever he commits "offences" that he feels make him appear weak and imperfect in the eyes of others. During such occurrences, Subaki is known to lapse into a state of flustered distress as he attempts to rectify his shortcomings.
In spite of the excessive nature of his hardworking spirit, Subaki never draws attention to himself, choosing instead to hide his efforts from the notice of others. As a result of the attitude and behavior that he adopts towards others, Subaki can come across as being more obnoxious and arrogant than he actually is.
He has the cleanest hands in the army. His birthday is February 7.
Birthright Chapter 7 - A Vow Upheld/Revelation Chapter 8 - Traitor's BrandEdit
Lance - D
As an EnemyEdit
Xenologue 20 - Heirs of Fate 6: Lost in the WavesEdit
- Base Class
- Falcon Knight
- Kinshi Knight
Max Stat Modifiers Edit
- See also: Subaki/Supports
- The Avatar (Male)
- Niles (Revelation)
- Shigure (if Subaki is his father)
- Kana (if Subaki is his father)
|Base Classes||Possible Promotions|
|Possible Candidates||Base Classes||Possible Promotions|
|Possible Candidates||Base Classes||Possible Promotions|
|Possible Candidates||Base Classes||Possible Promotions|
|Base Classes||Possible Promotions|
Base Class SetEdit
Subaki has relatively high growths in HP, skill, and defense in addition to increased mobility. His personal skill, Perfectionist increases his hit and avoid rate by 15 points whenever he is at full health. When he joins the army, he comes equipped with Darting Blow, which increases his speed by 5 points whenever he initiates combat. His access to naginata grants him a 1-point bonus to defenses and resistance. As far as weaknesses go, Subaki suffers from middling growths in strength, speed, and luck as well as poor growths in magic and resistance. Additionally, his base class cripples him with weaknesses to bows/yumi and anti-beast weapons/skills (e.g., Beast Killer, Beastbane).
Subaki has the potential to occupy a much more defensive niche that is unusual for his base class. In tandem with Subaki's high growth in HP, Perfectionist's avoid bonus can turn Subaki's into a passable dodge wall and allows him to absorb physical hits more reliably than most of his allies in Birthright, especially when he equips Guard Naginata. Moreover, his access to flight allows him to freely wall and then quickly escape from incoming opponents, enabling him to disrupt the enemy's offensive momentum or safely bait them toward his allies. Darting Blow somewhat aids his offense by preventing his enemies from doubling attacks on him whenever he needs to initiates combat. At level 10, Subaki gains access to Camaraderie, which restores his health by 10% at the beginning of the turn when there is an ally within two spaces of him. Though the healing bonus is small, it helps maintain Subaki's defensive capabilities and syncs well with his defensive role.
Given these facts, his growths may be better placed in his alternate class.
Subaki's two promotions are the Falcon Knight and Kinshi Knight classes. As a Falcon Knight, Subaki gains increased movement and a slight increase to his skill growth. He gains access to rods, which, when combined with his high skill growth, may allow him to successfully play an offensive support role with hexes from Silence or Hexing Rod. The class also grants him access to two skills: Rally Speed and Warding Blow. Rally Speed, on command, grants a one-turn, 4-point boost in speed to all allies within two spaces of the user. This allows Subaki to switch to a defensive support role whenever necessary; though this does not necessarily add to his abilities as a wall. Warding Blow reduces incoming magic damage by 20 points whenever the user initiates combat. This encourages Subaki to attack magic users at a greater frequency and may be used to bruise magic-users for his allies to clean up; though a nice addition to his skill set, Warding Blow does not augment Subaki's physically defensive capabilities. While the Falcon Knight class may extend Subaki's versatility, it fails to highlight Subaki's strengths.
As a Kinshi Knight, Subaki gains increased movement and moderate increase in his skill growth at the cost of reducing the growths of most of his weaker stats. He gains access to yumi, which opens opportunities to provide offensive support for his allies, especially with Setsuna's Yumi. The class offers two skills: Air Superiority and Amaterasu. Air Superiority increases the user's hit and avoid rates by 30 points whenever the user is battling airborne units. This skill syncs well with Perfectionist and considerably increases Subaki's evasion from flying enemies, enabling him to reliably dodge wall or bait physical flying units (bar Kinshi Knights). Amaterasu restores 20% HP for any ally within two spaces of the user at the beginning of the turn. This skill allows Subaki to switch to a defensive support role that complements Camaraderie—though it does not necessarily play on Subaki's defensive capabilities. Overall, the Kinshi Knight class plays up Subaki's skill growth and extends his defensive capabilities against flying units.
Secondary Class SetEdit
Subaki's secondary class set is the Samurai class set. The samurai class removes Subaki's access to flight (and thus the ability to freely disrupt his opponents) and the ability to wield the defensive naginata. On the other hand, it provides increases in HP and skill growths without affecting his growths in strength or defense; plus it removes Subaki's weakness to bows/yumi and anti-beast weapons/skills. The Samurai class offers two skills: Duelist's Blow and Vantage. Duelists Blow increases the user's avoid rate by 30 points whenever s/he initiates combat—a skill which syncs very well with Perfectionist and Darting Blow. These qualities encourage Subaki to take on an offensive dodge wall role against physical attackers, especially when factoring in his consistent HP and middling defense growths. Vantage grants the user first strike in a counterattack whenever the user has HP below 50%. This may help Subaki in a pinch, especially when he has lost access to Perfectionist bonuses, but it does not necessarily augment Subaki's defensive capabilities.
One of the Samurai's promotion options is the Swordmaster class, an excellent career class for Subaki. As a Swordmaster, Subaki gains a slight increase in magic growth, critical hit rate +10, and avoid rate +10. Given Subaki's high skill growth and the critical hit rate bonus, Subaki may score critical hits at a satisfying frequency, especially when he equips a Killing Edge. The avoid bonus further increases Subaki's defensive prowess in dodging incoming attacks. The Swordmaster class offers the Astra and Swordfaire skills. Astra is an offensive skill that, when activated, allows the user to attack the enemy five times consecutively at half of the calculated might (rounded down); the activation rate is half of the user's skill as a percentage. As Subaki exhibits relatively high skill growth, he makes an excellent candidate for this skill and may see Astra activation at a greater frequency than others. Swordfaire grants the user 5 additional points to damage output whenever s/he equips a sword or katana. Should Subaki's career class carry a sword, this skill will aid his offense. The Swordmaster pathway effectively utilizes Subaki's physical bulk and provides various offensive assets that help solidify his capabilities as an offensive dodge wall.
The Samurai's second promotion option is the Master of Arms class, another good career class for Subaki. As a Master of Arms, Subaki gains reliable growths in HP, skill, and defense while maintaining middling growths in strength. Additionally, Subaki gains access to lances and axes, granting him effective control over the weapon triangle—which entails good offensive and defensive benefits (in hit/avoid) for Subaki. The class grants him access to the Seal Strength and Life and Death skills. Seal Strengh temporarily reduces the enemy's strength by 6 points after any combat with the user. This complements Subaki's physical bulk very well and augments Subaki's ability to serve as an effective physical wall or physical attack bait for his allies. Life and Death increases the user's combat damage output and combat damage received by 10 points each. This skill can turn Subaki into somewhat of a glass cannon, which may not fit well with Subaki's playstyles. Overall, the Master of Arms class greatly highlights Subaki's stronger stat growths and helps solidify his defensive capabilities.
- Saizo - Saizo gives Subaki the Ninja class set. The base class of the ninja class set most notably grants Subaki the Poison Strike skill. If Subaki has problems dealing damage, this class is a clutch for him, as after each battle when he land a hit, he takes off 20% of the enemy's Max HP after battle. The Master Ninja class gives Subaki the Lethality and Shurikenfaire skills. Lethality is the preferred skill in this class as Shurikens/daggers aren't a big part of Subaki's class options. Mechanist bestows the Golembane and Replicate skills. Golembane is highly situational as its only use is for other Mechanists and castle battles. Replicate on the other hand, is leagues above because the replica carries the same stats the replicator had.
- Azama - Azama gives Subaki the Monk class set. From the base class he can get the Miracle and Rally Luck skills. Miracle let's Subaki survive a lethal attack if he has more than 1 HP. Rally Luck gives extra luck which is useful when nearby enemies have high crit weapons. The Great Master skill gives the Renewal and Countermagic skills. Renewal recovers 30% of max HP which can save the use of a staff. Countermagic makes enemy magic users think twice about launching a fire spell on Subaki. The Onmyoji class bestows the Rally Magic and Tomefaire skills. The onmyoji skills are the least useful from the Monk class set, as Subaki doesn't have too big of a talent in magic.
- Niles - Niles gives Subaki access to the Outlaw class set. The Outlaw class gives, most notably, the movement +1 skill, which is always useful. The Adventurer class gives the Lucky Seven and Pass skills. Lucky Seven boosts Subaki's Hit and Avoid by 20 on the first 7 turns. Pairing that with Perfectionist makes it hard for attacks to land against Subaki. Pass let's him bypass enemy placement, allowing him to reach a guarded area with less effort. The other promotion, the Bow Knight grants the Rally Skill and Shurikenbreaker skills. Rallies are useful for support, but Subaki is better suited for combat. Shurikenbreaker makes it hellish for ninjas to hit him.
- Azura/Felicia - Both Azura and Felicia give Subaki access to the Troubadour class set. The base class of this class set gives Resistance +2 and Gentilhomme skills. Resistance +2's function is its namesake. Gentilhomme helps female units with taking damage and dealing it. The Strategist class gives Subaki the Rally Resistance and Inspiration skills. Rally skills on Subaki aren't good for him as he fares better as an offensive unit. Inspiration is a buffed Gentilhomme which helps for male allies. The Butler class gives the Live to Serve and Tomebreaker skills. Live ot serve isn't useful on Subaki. Tomebreaker makes sorcerers trouble with hitting Subaki.
- Mozu/Setsuna - Both Mozu and Setsuna gives Subaki the Archer class set. The Archer class gives Skill +2 and Quick Draw. Skill +2 is a good pick up if Subaki is struggling slightly with hitting opponents and Quick draw adds 4 damage when initiating combat. The Sniper class gives the Certain Blow and Bowfaire skills. Certain Blow grants hit rate +40 upon initiating an attack. Pair this with quick draw to make Subaki's clubs devestating. Bowfaire is only useful when Subaki is in a bow wielding class, which he probably won't be.
- Hinoka/Oboro - Both Hinoka and Oboro give Subaki access to the Spear Fighter class set. The base class has the Seal Defense and Swap skills. Seal defense lowers the enemy's defense by 6, recovering 1 per turn. Swap lets Subaki switch placement with an ally. The Basara class offers the Rend Heaven and Quixotic skills. Rend Heaven is a great skill that works best against hard hitters. Quixotic is a risk vs reward skill which will drive away the cautious players but bring in risk loving players. The Spear Master class offers the Seal Speed and Lancefaire skills. Seal Speed lowers the speed of an Enemy by 6, recovering 1 per turn, which helps if a unit has trouble doubling. Lancefaire gives +5 when attacking with a lance/Naginata. This works when Subaki is in a class that can use lances.
- Orochi - Orochi gives out the Diviner class set, which Subaki gets the promotions from other buddy/partner classes. Nothing to write home about.
- Rinkah - Rinkah gives Subaki the Oni Savage class set. The oni savage class gives Subaki the Seal Resistance and Shove skills. Seal Resistance isn't particularly useful for Subaki since he fares bether in physical classes. Shove can save a ally from being killed from a mistake. The Oni Chieftain class gives the Death Blow and Counter skills. Death Blow grants crit +20 upon initiating combat. Pairing that skill with high crit weapons can result in incredible kills. Counter works off of physical damage, but considering Subaki is more of an offensive unit, it isn't so optimal. The Blacksmith class, outside of possibly picking up random weapons, gives Lancebreaker. Mono lance users can find it impossible to hit Subaki.
Refer to Subaki/Quotes.
Subaki - Mr. Perfect (完璧主義 kanpeki shugi lit. Perfectionism)
- After Ryoma assumed the crown, he named Subaki chief of the pegasus knights. As expected, Subaki served with a perfect record, and always kept a close eye on Lady Sakura.
- Subaki and Avatar (Birthright)
- Subaki was appointed chief of the pegasus knights and served with a perfect record. Avatar was hailed as a hero, working alongside her spouse to spread peace worldwide.
- Subaki and Avatar (Revelation)
- The two spent the rest of their lives together. Avatar ruling as the wise Queen of Valla. Subaki adapted quickly to royal leadership and became a great source of support for his wife.
- Subaki and Azura
- Subaki was appointed chief of the pegasus knights and served with a perfect record. There are few records of Azura beyond her marriage. She remains a historical mystery.
- Subaki and Felicia
- Subaki was appointed chief of the pegasus knights and served with a perfect record. Felicia gave up her career in the service industry for the military, ultimately becoming a commander.
- Subaki and Hana
- Subaki was appointed chief of the pegasus knights and served with a perfect record. His wife, Hana, continued to serve Sakura, brightening all of their lives with her infectious optimism.
- Subaki and Hinoka
- Subaki was appointed chief of the pegasus knights and served with a perfect record. His wife, Hinoka, became general of the Hoshidan royal army, and the two remained together always.
- Subaki and Oboro
- Subaki was appointed chief of the pegasus knights and served with a perfect record. His wife, Oboro, worked hard and eventually was able to reopen her late parents' tailor shop.
- Subaki and Rinkah
- Subaki was appointed chief of the pegasus knights and served with a perfect record. Rinkah's fiery personality ensured her husband's life was not boring, and they loved one another well.
- Subaki and Sakura
- Subaki was appointed chief of the pegasus knights and served with a perfect record. His wife, Sakura, dedicated herself to helping the underprivileged, and the two worked happily together.
- Subaki and Selena
- Subaki was appointed chief of the pegasus knights and served with a perfect record. After marrying, he and his wife, Selena, disappeared from records. They likely lived happily ever after.
Tsubaki is the Japanese word for Camellia. Depending on the language, this can have different meanings:
- In the Victorian Language of Flowers, White Camellia carry the meaning of 'Perfection' and 'Loveliness', which Subaki's personality and good looks could be based on.
- In the Japanese Language of Flowers, known as Hanakotoba, Red Camellias mean "in love" and "perishing with grace", probable allusions to his kind yet proud personality. In contrast, Yellow Camellia mean "longing", a possible nod to Subaki's desire for perfection.
- In the Edo Period, samurai would disallow Camellia from being planted in their homes due to the Ochitsubaki, or "fallen Camellia." The fallen Camellia flower represented the samurai's duty of beheading outlaws; this may be represented through Subaki's secondary class tree being Samurai.
- Subaki is the first playable male Pegasus Knight in the Fire Emblem series.
- Subaki was voted the 16th most popular male in Nintendo's official Fates character poll.