Sumeragi (スメラギ) is a character from Fire Emblem Fates.
Sumeragi is the deceased king of Hoshido. He is the father of Ryoma, Hinoka, Takumi, and Sakura through his first wife, Ikona, and the stepfather of the Avatar by marrying Mikoto. He also is the paternal grandfather of Shiro and Kiragi.
Prior to the events of Fates, Garon called Sumeragi to Cheve to discuss negotiation terms due to the war between Hoshido and Nohr. Sumeragi took the Avatar with them, believing that Garon was willing to end the war. When he arrived, Garon revealed to him that it was a trap, and ordered his soldiers to attack. Sumeragi sacrificed himself so that the Avatar would be protected from the barrage of arrows, then was finished by Garon.
The truth of his relation to the Avatar can be revealed in one of two ways; the most common being if the Avatar achieves an S-support with the Hoshidan royals. Alternatively, in Chapter 24 of Revelation, Mikoto herself will reveal the Avatar’s origin. Sumeragi will further elaborate in the following chapter with his side of the story.
As the Avatar is stated to be the middle child, it is likely that Sumeragi’s first wife, Ikona, was still alive, as Sakura was presumably not yet born.
As the king of Hoshido, Sumeragi was benevolent to his people and treated them fairly. When he was not busy with policies, however, Sumeragi cared deeply for his family, having fun with them as he wanted to be the best father he could. He cared very little of being the Hoshidan King and took little enjoyment out of it. However, in the Female Avatar and Yukimura support conversations, it is revealed that he would always be happy to see his children after a long day. Sumeragi also has a different view in warfare; in a support conversation between Yukimura and the male Avatar, Sumeragi told him that there is no point in killing soldiers who have surrendered and disliked killing the enemy without letting them have a chance to surrender.
Fuga explains to the male Avatar that Sumeragi was a bit of a troublemaker in his youth, he loved to play tricks on the servants (and in the Japanese version, he hung around the capital's red-light district at times), but mellowed out as he grew older.
Under the control of Anankos, Sumeragi became much more battle-hungry, thrilling at the opportunity to face both his eldest son and his step-child in battle. After his defeat, Sumeragi is released of this bloodlust; he expresses pride in his children who have grown since his passing and remorse for being unable to prevent the Avatar's kidnapping. He imparts them with his faith that they will help the Avatar bring an end to the Silent Dragon.
As an EnemyEdit
Revelation Chapter 25 - Blades DrawnEdit
Xenologue 7 - Hidden Truths 1Edit
Xenologue 19 - V: Endless DawnEdit
Chapter 5 Edit
“Show me...what you got. Heh. Heh. Heh...”
—Sumeragi's (under the name "???") pre-battle quote
- Ryoma: Vengeance will be mine... Prepare to die!
- ???: Heh. Heh. Heh...
“Urgh... Not bad. Heh. Heh. Heh...”
—Sumeragi's (under the name "???") defeat quote
Chapter 25 (Revelation)Edit
“ I was once a Hoshidan king...No longer. Now I am simply a man on the battlefield...striving for a challenge. ”
—Sumeragi's pre-battle quote in chapter 25 of Revelation
- Sumeragi: Ryoma...my eldest son...my pride...I hunger for the glory of a battle between us. I expect nothing less than your best—you will be getting mine!
- Ryoma: My father...was a respectable man, a just king, and a true samurai. You, fueled by a lust for battle and glory, are not that man. I will destroy you for pretending to be him!
- Sumeragi: Avatar.... You needn't rely on your sword alone. There is a greater power within you. Unleash it-avenge your mother. Give me a real battle!
- Avatar: Father!
“My thirst for battle...is not yet...”
—Sumeragi's defeat quote from chapter 25 of Revelation
—???'s pre-battle quote.
“We must...retreat for now...”
—???'s defeat quote.
“I am Sumeragi--King of Hoshido no more, yet still a deadly swordsman!”
—Sumeragi's pre-battle quote
- Sumeragi: Hmm. I thought I recognized something about you. Is that my prized sword you carry?
- Shiro: Huh? You're saying this used to be YOUR sword?!
- Sumeragi: Indeed. Though it's been so many years that I can hardly remember it now. Yes, you make a fitting heir. I see the lust for power in your eyes that I had. The mortal struggle between you and I shall no doubt become legend!
- Shiro: But if this sword was yours once... that would have to mean... No way!
- Sumeragi: Take your best stance, for here I come!
- Sumeragi: Ah... you have inherited the Fujin Yumi.
- Kiragi: You've seen my bow before?
- Sumeragi: Indeed. It is a divine weapon passed through the royal family—my family. I've wanted to test myself against it. I never expected that you would be the one to grant that desire.
- Kiragi: Wait a sec... you're King Sumeragi!
- Sumeragi: None other. Mark this moment, wielder of the Fujin Yumi. For you look upon he who will be your demise!
- Kiragi: Whoa, whoa, whoa! If you're really the old king, why are you fighting me?! Grandpa, we just met! You don't need to rush right into killing me! Help!
- Sumeragi: The blood of your parents that runs within you... It is strong indeed...
(teleports to the inner map as an ally unit)
- Sumeragi: Forgive me, children... for I have no regrets. I am proud... to see what became of my bloodline... My kingdom is in good hands... Now, go. Let my corpse be no obstacle... on your path to triumph...
(activates Dragon Vein)
- "This is the end!"
—Sumeragi's Defeat Voice Clip
Sumeragi is illustrated in the trading card game Fire Emblem Cipher with the following cards:
Sumeragi (皇) can translate as "emperor".
If the character of Sumeragi is broken up, it can be read as 白王 which translate as "White King".
- If Takumi changes to the Swordmaster class his outfit will look similar to that of Sumeragi's.
- Sumeragi shares his voice actor, David Stanbra, with Xander, Kaze, Shura, Kilma and the Rainbow Sage.
- The portrait of Sumeragi's hooded attire is an edit of the hooded appearance of the Avatar from Fire Emblem Awakening.