- For the chapter of the same name, go here.
The Binding Blade (封印の剣 Fūin no Tsurugi, alternately translated as Sword of Seals in the Super Smash Bros series) is a divine Sword that hails from Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. Said to be stronger than even the Legendary Weapons of Elibe, this sword is one that is solely bound to Roy.
The Sword of Seals is Roy's weapon of choice in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. The weapon's "sweet spot", the point where the most damage is done when contact is made with the enemy, is near the hilt of the sword.
The Binding Blade was originally wielded by the hero Hartmut alongside the Eckesachs and used to fight against the Manaketes during The Scouring. During the final stages of the war, Hartmut and the other Heroes attack the innermost part of the Dragon Temple. There, Hartmut finds the Mage Dragon Idunn in her human form, staring out into space and barely noticing their presence. Despite his own hesitation, Hartmut is forced to defend himself after she transforms and retaliates in response to the attack of the Eight Heroes. As if feeling the pity that Hartmut felt towards Idunn, the final blow from the Binding Blade instead sends her into a state of slumber. Using both the sword and the Fire Emblem, Hartmut then proceeds to seal Idunn in the Dragon Temple, and later establishes the nation of Bern around it as a means to safeguard said seal from being broken. After the Scouring reaches its conclusion, the Binding Blade is, alongside the Dark Tome Apocalypse, sealed within the depths of the Shrine of Seals.
Later, in the events of The Binding Blade, the seal imposed on the Binding Blade is released by Roy, whereupon he lifts it from its resting place in order to aid him in his subsequent battles against Zephiel and the reawakened Idunn.
The blade is one of the most powerful weapons in the series, stronger even than the Legendary Weapons of Elibe. Roy is able to use ranged attacks with the blade, and even gains a new, more acrobatic fighting style with it. He also gains a new critical animation where the sword blazes with flames as he strikes the enemy.
Grants Def/Res+2 when Roy is attacked.
|Event||Ch. 21 - End of chapter (should the requirements to experience Ch. 21x not be fulfilled) • Ch. 21x - End of chapter.|
- When Roy uses the Binding Blade, the ranged critical attack animation is very similar to the normal ranged attack animation, but he holds the sword up slightly longer. This most likely comes from reuse of the melee critical animation, which is similar to the ranged animation in itself.
- Roy's Final Smash in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS has the same animation as Roy's critical animation while using the Binding Blade in The Binding Blade.
- This is further solidified by the Final Smash's name being "Critical Hit".
- Interestingly enough, despite having no mentioned connection, the Binding Blade can be used by the amiibo Roy to defeat Duma, a trait shared only by Alm's Falchion and the amiibo Marth's Exalted Falchion.
- This is likely due to the fact that the Binding Blade was specifically crafted for the purpose of slaying dragons of similar strength when combined with Elibe's own Fire Emblem.