“A former lance instructor to Ephraim, Grado's General Duessel often came to Renais as an emissary of his empire. Despite their stations, the two men share similar dispositions and a warm relationship. Why has Grado started this war? What is the miasma of evil emanating from the country? Ephraim believes that Duessel can answer these questions. It is this belief that propels Ephraim forward into Grado territory.”
Turning Traitor is Chapter 10 in Ephraim's route of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. It takes place at Bethroen. The goal is to protect General Duessel for 10 turns. You also are able to recruit Cormag, the younger brother of General Glen the Sunstone. Tana or Duessel need to talk to him. The boss is a ranger named Beran (it starts out as Selena but that changes after Valter calls her back to the capital), who has a lancereaver, a killer bow, and a longbow. You also can get a killing edge here by killing a cavalier near Beran.
- There are two ballistae on this map, in the form of ships. Only fliers and Ross as a pirate or berserker are able to destroy them, as you will not have any long-range weapons yet.
- If you successfully save all of Duessel's men (who go to fight for Frelia) you get a free Knight Crest.
- New characters: Duessel (Silver Axe, Steel Lance, Vulnerary), Cormag (Iron Lance, Killer Lance, Elysian Whip)
- Boss: Beran (Lancereaver, Killer Bow, Longbow)
- Armory: Iron Sword, Steel Sword, Iron Blade, Iron Lance, Steel Lance, Javelin, Iron Axe, Steel Axe, Hand Axe, Iron Bow, Steel Bow
- Shop: Fire, Thunder, Lightning, Shine, Heal, Mend, Restore, Unlock, Vulnerary, Antitoxin, Torch
- Turn 3: 2 Mercenaries from the south eastern forts
- Turn 4: 2 Mercenaries from the south eastern forts
- Turn 5: 2 Mercenaries from the south eastern forts
- Turn 6: 2 Mercenaries from the south eastern forts, and 5 Cavaliers and a Troubadour from the north east (your starting position)
- Turn 7: 2 Mercenaries from the south eastern forts
- Turn 8: 2 Mercenaries from the south eastern forts
NOTE: This mission is unusually hard, so using the Tower of Valni for training is recommended.
- Recommended units: General, Berserker, Paladin, Sniper, Wyvern Knight/Falcoknight (if you train in towers/skirmishes. Otherwise use their unpromoted counterparts.)
If you have already promoted most of your units, this mission should be quite easy. If not, you will want to bring your strongest units along, and no one else, otherwise you will risk losing units later into the chapter, such as Turn 7 and after.
Charge all your units to Duessel's place except for Tana. Calvalry reinforcements will appear later, and they will quickly catch up to units falling behind.
Move Tana as close as you can to Cormag without getting into his attack range. Make sure you lure the Wyvern Rider northeast of Cormag, or you will have to deal with both of them when they start moving on Turn 5. Once Cormag is in range when he moves, talk to him to turn him on your side, and kill the other Wyvern Rider. After ending your turn, cavalry will arrive near your start point.
Ignore the northern village with the Torch staff for now. You can visit it later with one of your flying units. Get your units to Duessel, but do it quickly or the Pirates will kill them. The Fleets are inaccurate but deal damage at a fair distance. Also, the fleet on the northwestern portion of the map drops a Secret Book, so kill that later also if you want it.
When you get to Duessel, immediately recruit him with Ephraim, and kill any Pirates trying to kill his cavalry. Saving all three cavaliers from getting killed will earn you a Knight's Crest at the end of the chapter, so do so if you want it. There's also a Hero Crest in the village near Duessel.
If you choose to kill Beran, using axe-weilders at melee range will due to his Lancereaver, which reverses the weapon triangle. Though do be careful as axes generally have a low hit rate in the first place as well as Beran's decent avoid on the gate. If you deploy bow or magic users, watch out for his Killer Bow as it has a chance to deal massive damage to your units. Also back up your healers or any other units as Beran can hit them with his Longbow if they're in his range. Lastly, you can use Ephraim and his Reginleif to finish him off, though like axes, its accuracy can be bogged down by Beran's avoid.
- Lancereaver (Myrmidon to the south east)
- Elysian Whip (from Cormag, if you kill him)
- Secret Book (Fleet to the north west)
- Horseslayer (or Javelin from Cavalier to the south east)
- Killing Edge (or Javelin from Cavalier to the south east)
- Hero Crest (south western village)
- Torch (north western village)
- Knight Crest (from end of chapter event if all Duessel's Cavaliers survive)
- Even if you kill Selena before Valter goes on to send her away, she will still appear in the chapter Fluorspar's Oath. However, the chances of doing this are incredibly low, because Valter will take her away as soon as you end your first turn.
- Marisa can be found in the south western village. However, she is unrecruitable for the moment.
|Turning Traitor||Next chapter:|