So I've been playing Heroes for sometime now and I've amassed a pretty decent army at this point. Based on the ones I've obtained, I've gotten a good sense of how they operate, especially the ones i use mostly. I will list my impressions of the Units that I used in game, their strengths and their weaknesses.
So, for the most part, these units are my 5 Star heroes that I've obtained and had a good amount of time to train and used in PvP. Keep in mind that these are subjective and should be considered with the highest amount of digression that I can recommend. Also, I'm only focusing on the units I have obtained thus far. I've experienced most of the other commonly talked about before to know how they work, but I'm just giving my impressions of the characters that I have used and maxed.
These are not counting skill inherits though I will mention it here and there.
- Lucina - She was my very first 5 Star Pull from my first 5 Orb purchase. She is an extremely useful unit, especially at 5-Star rarity. Her Falchion is great for taking out Manaketes, especially Fae and both versions of Tiki. Though her Aether takes a bit of time to charge, its still a reliable attacking skill. However, it can easily be swapped out for Luna if the long recharge timer is too much to wait for. She also has the Falchion's regen that heals her every 3 turns, giving her a surprising bulk. She serves great for support too thanks to her Spur Attack skill. Her main weakness is her low defenses, especially her Resistance, that makes her extremely weak to Blue Mages like Robin and Sonia and can be destroyed by the likes of Cordelia;. She can deal with Blue Dragons Nowi, Ninian, and Corrin (F), but she still will take a decent chunk of damage from them. Nevertheless, she is one of the units I highly recommend you starter reroll to obtain. She is a great investment in the long run.
- Robin (M) - Robin was actually obtained right after Lucina and is another one of my primary used units. He destroys colorless units thanks to Blarraven+ and Bonfire is a reliable attack skill. He has Spur Defense to help allies near him and is good for also dealing with Sword Knight units. Overall, hes a pretty well rounded character, though like most Mage characters, he needs to avoid direct combat, especially from huge threats like Camilla and Hector who can destroy him if he is not protected. He's worth having as an early character and an initial mage.
- Nowi - While not a character I desired to have, Nowi is a pretty useful character overall. Her Manakete Status makes her an incredibly powerful character and her base Weapon Lightning Breath+ gives her an innate Distance Counter skill. While this makes her powerful, it is also a skill worth transferring to another breath unit. She also has Rally Defense to help out allies who may be fragile. If she can inherit an Attacking Skill, Nowi is a very powerful unit, though not exactly one that you will commonly see on other player's teams. She is hard countered by Julia in particular thanks to her Book of Naga and while she may not be too threatened by Lucina, Chrom, or Marth, their Falchion still can deal major damage to her if they do manage to survive her attacks.
- Merric - Merric is a pretty decent Green Mage unit. The unfortunate thing is that his damage output is pretty mediocre and, despite his Shadow Dragon being notable for his speed, Merric has pretty subpar speed. On a positive note, he is great for taking out flying units as Excalibur deals bonus damage to them. Plus Growing Wind does pretty decent AOE damage when it activates. However, Merric is pretty decent. Unfortunately for me, he's my only Green 5-Star unit so I use him whenever I need to have a Green Unit on my team. He's not necessarily bad, but If I had a better, stronger green unit at this point I would probably opt out for them.
- Alfonse - The first of the Heroes original characters, Alfonse is pretty boring in my opinion. He requires that you raise him to Rarity 5 to make him viable in the meta and obtain his signature weapon Fólkvangr, which boosts his Attack when he's under 50%. It makes him a good unit to use when his health is low and can sync well if you can give him other dire health skills like Vantage. He does have Sol in his set, so he is perfectly capable to heal himself. At the very least, he can help if you do not have a good Sword unit in your army, which is very hard considering the massive amount of them in the meta. Otherwise, he's very average. Not bad, but not very good IMO.
- Roy - Mah boy. Roy is your anti-green unit as Triangle Adept basically spells doom for them. He can decimate enemy defenses with his Seal Defense. Unfortunately his stats are not particularly stellar in any point and Triangle adept's double edge makes the risk vs. reward need a huge amount of consideration. While the Binding Blade is powerful, the bonus two points to his defenses when attacked are hardly beneficial in the later game. In all honestly, I wish he had the Binding Blade's ability to distance attack instead. Reliable, but not outstanding.
- Jakob - Jakob is pretty meh. He's great for setting up kills as his dagger reduces enemy Defense and Resistance. If you find a team with a lot of Mages, he can buff allies with his Rally Resistance. He also has Renewal, so at the very least he can keep himself healed. Nothing much else to say about him.
- Klein - Klein is Takumi lite. His Brave Bow+/Death Blow combo makes him an incredibly dangerous player turn character. He also has Glacies on hand to deal good damage while he attacks. His Quick Reposte also makes him dangerous to attack from a distance when he's at high health. The ONLY reason why he's outclassed by Takumi is simply because Takumi has Close Counter. Klein is otherwise a pretty safe option and a pretty good archer character.
- Takumi - Takumi is a GOD tier character. I think just about every player team I've ever faced that has him in their army is using him, and for a good reason. He has Close Counter, allowing him to counter attack at close range. This makes Takumi dangerous to deal with as there is no way for anyone to attack him without suffering some form or retaliation. Secondly, he has Vengeance, which makes him deal more damage when he has suffered damage himself. He eliminates a majority of the non-Iote's Shield flying meta including Camilla and Cordelia. Along with Lucina, he is one of the characters I highly recommend you starter reroll for, especially if you are coming in the game late.
- Azura - While she is my second refreshing unit, the first being Olivia, she is the first 5-Star refresher and she is my preferred blue unit, even after using Robin pretty extensively. Her ability to refresh units. If your opponents are favoring a particular color, you can use her to refresh your units who have an advantage over them for some good results. She is also no slouch offensively as a moderately powerful Blue unit and can easily dispose of Red Units as her Sapphire Lances+ makes her incredibly deadly against Red Units, especially considering that Swords are pretty common in the Arena. She is incredibly fragile, so handling her with care is a must. While any Green unit bascially can decimate her if they reach her, Blue units can be dangerous for her as well. Despite my short time using her, she has become an essential for my Arena team.
- Eirika - A bit of an interesting Sword unit. She's not very powerful, but she is decently fast. However, she shines as a support as she gives nearby allies bonuses to their speed and attack through her Hone Speed and Sieglinde respectively. She can Pivot to reposition and use Drag Back to pull enemies closer to your allies so you can take them down much easier. Well worth the time to get her for a pretty interesting sword wielder, but not quite as stellar as Lucina.
- Ephraim - While he has low speed and resistance, boy does he have raw damage output. High damage from Siegmund, cripples enemies with his two passive skills, plus Moonbow and he's a potent offensive force, especially against the Sword meta. Great unit overall.
- Lilina - The most powerful Mage in the game by far. Her Magic utterly destroys any non-Blue unit, especially green ones. Growing Flame further enhances this, making her a pretty powerful one-shot cannon character, but with the fragility of glass as if she is caught out, she's more than likely to die.
- Sharena - Of the three Heroes guaranteed, Shareena is a great investment for your army considering she's a Blue unit, making her great against the Red heavy cast. Good attack and moderate speed makes her an offensive threat. Unfortunately, she lacks an attack skill, but that can be easily skill inherited. Of the three Heroes units, Sharena should be the first to Max rank.
- Karel - Another Sword unit whom I've had the privilege of obtaining. While he did not replace the likes of Lucina, he still has solid Attack and Speed along with a decent Defense stat to make him dependable as a Sword Unit. His Reprisal skill makes him a deadly foe especially given its low charge and Wo Dao's 10 damage bonus when it activates. Solid all around, but still not quite the best.
- Ryoma - Ryoma is a scary person in Fates as an enemy and that feeling carries on in Heroes. His Raijinto has a built in Distance Counter and his stats are very similar to Karel. Overall, Ryoma is probably the most sought after Sword Unit in the game since the Skill Inheritance. I was not too serious about getting him, but he has proven to be an extremely powerful unit to have in the army,
- Anna - The last of the Heroes units, I am a little disappointed in myself for maxing her last. Green units are among the hardest to find and Anna is an overall solid unit, though not quite to Sharena's level. She has Speed on her side and a decent attack to dish out powerful blows. she can counter on the enemy turn first if she's under 75% health, making her a relatively safe front liner. Her Nóatún gives her the ability to instantly warp to safety should she be heavily wounded, further solidifying this role. She'll struggle against the Red meta, but she is good for countering Blue threats like Cordelia and Ninian.
- Nino - A powerful Green Mage, Nino is highly regarded as one of the best Green Mages in the game thanks to her strong Attack and Speed stats. While she requires buffs to really shine, given that she is a pretty easy Hero to obtain, if you manage to snag a copy of her, she is one of the best long term investment units in the game.
- Faye - Faye is a pretty bulky archer. She's not very fast, but if she is caught out, she can take a hit better than most others in the game. Her Firesweep Bow is great for chipping damage from enemies without worrying about retaliation. Solid unit, but not quite potent enough to exceed most of the other Archers already established in the meta.
- Michalis - Impressive attack, but not a lot of speed. Surprisingly good bulk and has no fliers weakness thanks to his Iote's Shield (Skill). He suffers from Hero Battle syndrome where he does not have any IV variation, but neverthess is a solid unit, but not the best to pull from the events.
- Boey - He has an unusually high Def for a mage, making him a decent safe option when engaging physical enemies. He lacks the power and resistance to properly trade with other mages, even if he has color advantage. Not a bad unit to have, but he is outshined by several other mages.
- Mae - A quarter version of Linde, Mae is much more accessible as you can acquire her at 4 rarity and improve her. Good attack and decent speed makes her a solid Blue mage unit, though she is the typical frail mage to physical attacks.
- Xander - Without question at this point, Xander is THE Hero Battle hero to get ASAP. Built in Distant Counter in his weapon, high mobility, excellent Defense and Attack makes him a powerful defensive wall. Though his speed and resistance are lacking, Xander is well worth putting in time and feathers to max out.
- Masked Marth - Literally a blank slate, Marth is basically a free Lucina unit, but with no skills from the start aside from the sword skills. No IV variation makes Marth a pretty one note character, but if you are lacking Marth, Chrom, or Lucina, Masked Marth is a great entry into what are probably the best units in the game.
- Katarina - Katarina has all around well balanced stats aside from low defense and HP, which means that she will die if caught out by physical weapon units. Works marvelously as a debuffer thanks to Atk Ploy though her base tome requires tight formations to use properly. Her high Res also blends well with her Glacies skill. Good unit to have, even though she is another Red unit.
- Clarisse - Good Atk and Spd, but does not quite shine as much as many of the already established archers since the beginning of the game. Still, she is a deadly unit who can pile debuffs thanks to her weapon and threaten defense. Add the ability to chip away damage thanks to her Poison Strike skill and Clarisse has some benefits in the long run.
- Robin (Ylissean Summer) - Her weapon is powerful and her stats make her a deceptively powerful defensive tank. She has by far one of the best C slot skills for training, Lance Valor which multiplies SP gains when killing units. If obtained, she is a great boon for grinding for skill points. It should be noted that it also stacks on the SP weekend multiplier events as well.