“I’ll admit, there are times when the pain’s so bad it leaves me numb. But that’s because I was so damn happy when I was with ’em. It’s all an even balance, you know? I got good enough for all the bad. Anyway, I avenged them, so there’s no point in hanging on to hate.”
—Valbar to Leon in Echoes
Valbar lived in a small village on the coast with his parents, his sister, his brother, and his wife and son. He became a knight in order to support his family financially. However, while he was serving his duty elsewhere, Barth's pirates attacked the village, killing his entire family. With his sworn brother Leon and Kamui the mercenary, he sought out and fought against Barth. Celica's party lands in the middle of their fight, so Valbar's party and Celica's party team up to beat Barth. When the battle ends, his group joins the party out of gratitude.
After the war, he trains the young soldiers of the Kingdom of Valentia at Alm's request alongside his companion, Leon.
Valbar believes in repaying his debts, and believes in living his life without regrets. He is also headstrong and always trying to help people with no regards of the consequences.
Valbar is close friends with Leon, a former Rigelian soldier who was able to enjoy life again thanks to Valbar. Leon has romantic feelings for Valbar, but Valbar appears to be oblivious in their supports. It is mentioned their relationship never faltered, even when Leon retired from training soldiers.
In Chapter 2, if he survived the battle at the Pirate's Fortress, talk to him within the fortress.
Valbar is an above average unit, and he fills an important role in Celica's route when you obtain him. Early in Celica's route, Saber will act as your tank to block off choke points since the rest of her party is filled with Mages. When you obtain Valbar, he takes over Saber's role and does a better job since the Armor class provides far superior base Defense, Strength, and HP when compared to the Mercenary class.
For a Soldier/Armor, Valbar's growths are actually quite good compared to Lukas and Forsyth, as he winds up as a balanced Armor. He will prove useful as a tank for Celica's route, as her party is Mage and Mercenary heavy. However, he will have sometimes have trouble on the offensive unit due to his low Move, as no one in Celica's group learns the Warp skill. Thus it is recommended to have the enemies come to Valbar instead, or to eventually send Valbar to Alm's party. Valbar will do well in desert maps, such as on the route to Grieth as all non flying units will be reduced to one movement, making his movement the same as the rest of the army.
Lance - B
*Enemy only, joins unequipped
Personal Max StatsEdit
- See also: Valbar/Supports
Fire Emblem Gaiden Edit
"On Alm's request, he instructs young soldiers in the ways of war."
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Edit
"Valbar joined the One Kingdom's Brotherhood of Knights at Alm's request, where he worked to train the next generation. Well-loved for his open and honest nature, he spent his years happily surrounded by friends and admirers."
Recruitment Conversation inside the Pirates' Fortress Edit
“Sorry 'bout that. You helped us out there. Ahh, I owe ya one now. Wherever you go, I'll go along with. I look forward to it!”
—Recruitment Conversation in Gaiden
“I have lived my life without regrets...”
—Valbar's death quote in Gaiden
Recruitment Conversation Edit
“Oh ho! Look who the cat dragged in! I'm Valbar, by the way. You really saved my bacon back there. And since that dastard Barth is dead, my family can finally rest... *sniffle* ...Er, right. Sorry, got a little emotional there for a second. So hey, is there anything I can do for you? I'll be honest—I'm not good at much besides crackin' skulls. But if you NEED skulls cracked, I'm your man! What do you say?”
—Recruitment conversation in Echoes
Level Up Edit
- "Heh. Is anyone really surprised?" (2+ stats up)
- "All brawn and no brains won't take you far." (2+ stats up)
- "You know, I feel kinda lucky today." (2+ stats up)
- "Was, uh...something supposed to happen just now?" (1 stat up)
- "A guy can't get too greedy, right?" (1 stat up, most stats maxed)
Class Change Edit
- "You got it, Mila. I'm on the job."
Battle Quotes Edit
First Turn Selection Edit
- "Leave it to me."
Missed Attack Edit
- "Agh...That's sloppy!"
Enemy does one or no damage Edit
- "Don't hold back now."
- "Won't work on me!
Being Healed Edit
Used Healing Item Edit
- "Mmm! Now that's a treat!" (Loved)
- "Can't be picky on the battlefield." (Neutral)
Critical Attack Edit
- "Time to pay!"
- "Have a taste of this!"
- "Made your peace?"
- "Say goodnight!"
Finishing Blow Edit
- "How's this?"
Enemy Defeated Edit
- "Troublemakers answer to me!"
- "I'm your shield."
- "Gonna take more than that!"
- "See? Am I good or what?"
Nearby Ally Defeated Enemy Edit
- "Hey, that looked like fun!"
Nearby Ally Below Half Health Edit
Summary Screen Edit
- "Their mistake was going up against me!"
“I feel the fighting spirit...leaving me... The wait's over, everyone... I'm coming home...”
—Valbar's death quote on Classic mode
“Yowch... This looks pretty bad. Sorry, but I've got to retreat. It's up to you guys now."”
—-Valbar's retreat quote on Casual Mode
- Like with many characters in Gaiden, his appearance varies in official art. Valbar has red armor and brown hair in the game. On the game's cover and manual, Valbar's hair is silver-blue, and he wears gold armor. In The Complete he has red armor and has blonde hair. By the point of Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, Valbar's design was finalized as brown hair with golden armor.
- Valbar showed up in an April Fools gag in the official site which claimed a new Fire Emblem game in the style of the 8-bit originals would be made. This fake game would star Valbar as he was accompanied by Leon and Kamui in traveling in a setting based on medieval Japan.
- Valbar shares his English voice actor, Kyle Hebert, with Awakening's Frederick and Validar.
- Due to his personality and the way he cares about Leon, Leon has fallen in love with him.