The Wyvern Lord (ドラゴンマスター Doragon masutā, lit. Dragonmaster in the Japanese versions) is a Wyvern-mounted combat physical class that recurrently appears across the Fire Emblem Series, beginning from Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. One of the promoted forms of the Wyvern Rider class, Wyvern Lords commonly wield Lances as their primary weapon of choice, and wield either Swords or Axes as their secondary weapons of choice. In more recent installments, the primary weapon armed by Wyvern Lords has been changed to Axes, while Lances have been switched to their secondary weapon.
History in the SeriesEdit
In its original inception in Genealogy of the Holy War, the Dragonmaster class is introduced as the promoted form of the Dragon Knight class, following the clean separation of the latter class from the Pegasus Knight class. This iteration of the class wields both Swords and Lances as its weapons of choice.
In Thracia 776, the Dragonmaster class is absent due to the fact that the Dragon Knight assumes its role as a promoted class, while the Dragon Rider takes over the Dragon Knight class's original role as a first-tier class.
Beginning from The Blazing Blade, the Dragonmaster class is officially localised as the Wyvern Lord class, and will continue to be referred to as such for most of the following titles in the series.
Beginning from Path of Radiance, Wyvern Lords begin arming Lances and Axes as their weapons of choice, shedding the ability to wield Swords.
In Radiant Dawn, the Wyvern Lord class is again referred to as the Dragonmaster (聖竜騎士 Doragon masutā). This version of the class wields Lances and Axes as its weapons of choice, and is further able to promote into the Dragonlord class when the necessary requirements are fulfilled.
In Awakening, the Wyvern Lord returns and continues to have high Strength, Defense, and HP. It does have average Speed and Skill while continuing to have low Resistance. They continue to use Axes and Lances like in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn as opposed to using Swords and Lances in The Blazing Blade and The Sacred Stones.
In The Binding Blade, The Blazing Blade, The Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance, Wyvern Lords are flying units that, when compared to Falcon Knights, boast higher HP, Strength and Defense at the cost of, Speed and Resistance. Their Skill tends to be below average in most of the games, but is actually above average in Radiant Dawn and Fates. Like other flying classes, Wyvern Lords are vulnerable to Bows and Wind Magic (this is changed to Thunder Magic in Radiant Dawn).
In Awakening, Wyvern Lords learn two skills, Quick Burn and Swordbreaker. Quick Burn allows its user to hit and avoid better at the beginning of the battle, after which the effects wear off gradually. The beneficial effects of the skill should thus be taken advantage of quickly before withdrawing the unit in question from direct harm. Swordbreaker, on the other hands is ideal when battling against sword users, in particular Swordmasters and Assassins because of their high Skill.
In Fates, Wyvern Lords retain the Swordbreaker skill, but Quick Burn is replaced with Rally Defense. They are still effective against Swordmasters. The only change when it comes to the use of Swordbreaker is that Wyvern Lords can only attain B-rank proficiency in Lances. With the absence of Wind Magic, other than the Excalibur tome that only Sorcerers and Witches can use due to being the only classes with access to S-rank tomes, Wyvern Lords are most vulnerable to Bow users and units with weapons that are effective against dragons, like the Wyrmslayer and the brand new Dragon Spirit. They are also quite effective against Master Ninjas when they are wielding axes due to the generally low defense in Master Ninjas and the Wyvern Lord's generally high Strength and Defense stats and axes having advantage over Shuriken, with the exception of the Dual Shuriken.
- ★ - FE10 SP Class.
|FE10 ★||40||22||4||20||18||0||21||7||9||13||43||C C|
|FE10 ★||58||36||8||36||30||30||35||18||9||13||43||S SS|
|FE4||Re-Move||Hidden innate skill of all flying and mounted units.|
|FE9||Stun||Occult skill of the Wyvern Lord class; assign with an Occult Scroll.|
|FE10||Canto||Base skill of all flying and mounted units.|
|FE13|| Quick Burn|
|Learnt at Level 5.|
Learnt at Level 15.
|FE14|| Rally Defense|
|Learnt at Level 5 and above.|
Learnt at Level 15 and above.
|Base Class||Promotion Method||Promoted Class(es)|
|FE4||Dragon Knight||Choose the "Class Change" option in the Home Castle when the relevant unit reaches Level 20.||Dragonmaster|
|FE6||Wyvern Rider||Use an Elysian Whip on a Level 10+ Wyvern Rider.||Wyvern Lord|
|FE7||Wyvern Rider||Use an Elysian Whip on a Level 10+ Wyvern Rider.||Wyvern Lord|
|FE8||Wyvern Rider||Use an Elysian Whip on a Level 10+ Wyvern Rider.||Wyvern Lord|
|Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Wyvern Rider.|
|FE10||Dracoknight||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Dracoknight or train a Dracoknight to Level 21.|
|Use a Master Crown on a Level 10+ Dragonmaster or train a Dragonmaster to Level 21.|
|FE13||Wyvern Rider||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Wyvern Rider.||Wyvern Lord|
|FE14||Wyvern Rider||Use a Master Seal on a Level 10+ Wyvern Rider.||Wyvern Lord|
Notable Wyvern LordsEdit
- Travant - The king of Thracia.
- Arion - The prince of Thracia and son of Travant.
- Magorn - Leader of a troop of Dragon Knights who are led to the Yied Desert to slay Quan and Ethlyn while they are en-route to reuniting with Sigurd.
- Promotion of: Altena.
- Narcian - One of the Dragon Generals of Bern.
- Galle - Narcian's replacement and Melady's lover.
- Flaer - Lieutenant of Narcian.
- Promotion of: Zeiss and Melady.
- Shiharam - The father of Jill and a general in the Daein army.
- Haar - The second-in-command of Shiharam.
- Gromell - Leader of a group of soldiers who use landslides in a bid to kill Ike's forces before they enter the territory of Crimea.
- Promotion of: Jill
- Zeffren - A member of Begnion's holy Dracoknights.
- Istvan - Serves under Duke Seliora as a high-ranking general.
- Haar - Owner of a wyvern delivery company.
- Promotion of: Jill
- Minerva (SpotPass)
- Altena (SpotPass)
- Travant (SpotPass)
- Narcian (SpotPass)
- Ashnard (SpotPass)
- Possible promotion for: Cherche and Gerome.
- Scarlet - The leader of the rebel uprising in the Principality of Cheve.
- Possible promotion for: Beruka and Percy.
- In Awakening, the Wyvern Lord class can be seen as a parallel to the General; both have the highest Strength and Defense caps (on the ground and in the air respectively), both have a status which makes them vulnerable to a certain type of weapon (two in the case of the Wyvern Lord, being weak against Wyrmslayers, the Book of Naga, Bows, Wind Magic, Volant Axes, and all variations of Falchion) and both classes wields Axes and Lances.