“I want to do more than just survive... There's something else about being taguel. Something I feel in every hair of my being... It's something I can't quite put into words, but maybe when I can, it will help guide us.”
—Yarne in his support with his mother, Panne.
Yarne (シャンブレー Shanburē, Chambray in the Japanese version) is a playable character in Fire Emblem: Awakening. He is Panne's son from the future, and a member of the Taguel race. Yarne can potentially be the brother or father of Morgan. His birthday is March 14th. His English voice is provided by Chris Smith and his Japanese voice is provided by Daisuke Endo.
As the son of Panne and her human husband, Yarne was born in the future as the first human-taguel hybrid. This made him a clear sign that the Taguel would survive. Unfortunately, he lost both parents at a young age. His father's death was particularly painful: he promised to Yarne that he'd return from battle, but died in the battle right after this conversation, breaking that promise. With the death of his mother Panne, Yarne became the new "Last Taguel" in the world. Though Yarne has immense pride of his Taguel heritage, he also feels like he's burdened by his "Last Taguel" status. Unlike the other children, Yarne does not mention having Panne's wedding ring, but is assumed to have followed suit. Seeing the opportunity as a means of self-preservation, Yarne joins Lucina and the other children to travel back to the past to prevent the ruinous future. Upon arriving in the past, separated from his friends, Yarne searched for strong allies to protect him and eventually stumbles upon the Stonewall Knights, whom he stays with until the revelation with Lucina at Carrion Isle.
In Yarne's Paralogue, a turf war between the Riders of Dawn and the Stonewall Knights erupts. Chrom's army arrives to break up the turf war. When Panne recognizes the scent of another Taguel, she finds and approaches Yarne, who instantly recognizes his mother. When Panne asks him why he is with a bunch of random warriors. He tells her that, to help him survive, he tagged along with them due to their strong defenses. Disappointed in her son's cowardice - going so far to hide behind other "man-spawn" - Panne tells Yarne that she will be teaching him taguel pride through the battle. After the battle, Panne speaks to her son, happy to know that the taguels have managed to live another generation, even if it now carries human blood. Yarne is merely happy to see her again and declares that he is proud of his taguel heritage, which pleases Panne. Yarne joins Chrom's army, happy to be back with his mother.
After the war, Yarne departs on a journey to find somewhere safe to live. Ironically, this leads him into many dangers along the way. Luckily he manages to stay alive through all this and lives a long life.
During his support conversations with his mother, Yarne and Panne begin to build a relationship as a mother and son by making new habits and traditions, since neither of them have any recollection of their parents or traditional acts. In his support with his father, Yarne is worried that his father may cheat on Panne, fearing that if he does, his existence may vanish. Though his father promises not to cheat on her, Yarne is still unsure and suspects he will break that promise because he broke his promise to come home. His father promises him that he will never cheat on Panne and that he'll stay alive for the sake of him and the version of him to be born later on.
Yarne is incredibly cowardly and timid, often running from any sign of danger, even against enemies who are clearly weaker than he is. Yarne takes pride in his Taguel heritage but with the death of his mother, Yarne felt burdened by his responsibility to preserve the Taguel. He uses his "preservation" as a justification for his cowardice, but in most cases, others don't let it slide, much to his displeasure. Despite this, when he really puts his heart into a battle, Yarne is quite strong, especially when he protects someone he cares about. He is the loudest person in the army.
Paralogue 13: NPC* or enemy**, talk with Chrom or Panne.
*- If the player choose "yes" for aiding the Stonewall Knights.
**- If the player choose "no" for not aiding the Stonewall Knights.
- Note: These are his absolute base stats. The actual base stats follow this formula:
[(Panne's current stats - Panne's class base stats) + (father's current stats - father's class base stats) + Yarne's absolute base stats] / 3 + Yarne's class base stats
Yarne's Growth Rates are figured by the following formula:
(Father's growth rates + Panne's growth rates + Yarne's absolute growth rates) / 3
In which Yarne's absolute growth rates are:
Max Stat ModifersEdit
- See also: Yarne/Supports
- Morgan (Female Morgan can also be his sister)
- The Avatar (Female)
- Yarne's Father
- The Avatar (Male) (Can also be Yarne's father)
- Morgan (Male Morgan can also be Yarne's son)
- Thief - Promotes to Assassin or Trickster
- Barbarian - Promotes to Warrior or Berserker
- Dread Fighter - Requires Dread Scroll
Inheritance from Panne
Note: Yarne can be reclassed into a Wyvern Rider, but only if he inherits the class from his father. If his father does not have the class in his set, Yarne can only get a Wyvern Rider related class skill from Panne.
The Avatar as Father
Frederick as Father
- Cavalier - Promotes to Paladin or Great Knight
- Knight - Promotes to Great Knight or General
- Wyvern Rider - Promotes to Wyvern Lord or Griffon Rider
Virion as Father
Stahl as Father
Vaike as Father
Kellam as Father
Lon'qu as Father
- Wyvern Rider
Ricken as Father
Gaius as Father
Donnel as Father
Gregor as Father
Libra as Father
Henry as Father
- Dark Mage
Recruited by Panne (Mother)Edit
- Panne: "That scent... It smells like... Ho! You there!"
- Yarne: "Gyah! Wh-what do you want?!"
- Panne: "You are a taguel."
- Yarne: "Yeah, well so are- GODS! M-Mother?!"
- Panne: "Mother?"
- Yarne: "Gah, you nearly gave me heart failure! I'd given up on EVER finding you! You wouldn't believe how dangerous it is here. All these swords and brigands... Anyway, I've found you. That makes the trip back in time more than worth it."
- Panne: "So you came with that man-spawn Lucina, did you? Hmm... Explain to me why my son consorts with common thugs?"
- Yarne: "Huh? H-hey, I didn't have a choice in the matter! You were nowhere to be found, and roaming around alone is a recipe for... extinction. I'd figure I'd be safe if I took up with some strong allies, and so I... Wait, are you angry? Because you look kind of ang-"
- Panne: "OF COURSE I AM ANGRY! No son of mine will survive by taking the path of the coward! You're coming with me, I'm going to teach you some taguel pride, starting right now!"
Recruited by ChromEdit
- Chrom: "You there! Hold!"
- Yarne: "Gyah! D-don't surprise me like that! I could die of heart failure!"
- Chrom: "...I was standing right in front of you. Ought I have waved first, or would that have been too threatening?"
- Yarne: "Oh, aren't we the jester! People die from much lesser things you know. It's no laughing matter! What if you scare me and I trip and fall and cut my head open? What then?!"
- Chrom: "Er...right. Look, if you're so worried about death, maybe you should just surrender. I have no desire to spill unnecessary blood."
- Yarne: "Wait, surrender is an option?! Wh-why didn't you say so?!"
- "Ah a trap! Oh it's just some human junk..." (item)
- "Why does everyone look at me funny when I make buck teeth? Mom lied!" (exp)
- "I snuck in some practice. HIDING practice! ...What else is a bunny to do?" (weapon exp)
Relationship Event TilesEdit
- "Nothing feels better than surviving a battle. What do you do to celebrate?" (free time)
- "Hey! What are you grinning about? Are you laughing at the poor, doomed bunny?" (happy)
- "Please, you have to fight alongside me! The Taguel will die out without you!" (team up)
- "Hey, what do you dream about?" (dreams)
- "I do self-preservation exercises in the woods. Gotta be ready for anything!" (free time)
- "Are you kidding? I'm happy because you look strong enough to save me in a pinch." (happy)
- "All right. But you take the lead. I'll do my bunny thing from the back lines." (team up)
- "Not going extinct!" (dreams)
Asking - PanneEdit
- "Mother, what do you need? We taguel need to stick by each other." (gift)
- "Mother, you cut your ear! Will you make it? 'Cause if you're doomed, I'm doomed!" (concern)
- "You have such great hearing, Mother! Why don't we have a hearing contest?" (train)
- "Whew, what a relief to have another taguel around. What was life like before we met?" (story)
Replying - PanneEdit
- "What? If we both die, that will be the end of our race! Let's just practice hopping, okay?" (train)
- "Nope, no jolt. If I'd heard anything, I'd have fled the premises in a second!" (concern)
- "Could you pop out some more taguel siblings? ...Ack, what! Don't scowl at me!" (gift)
- "The future was terrifying! Every day I held my breath and waited for the end. If I died, the world would forget about taguel—about you. I couldn't bear that! So I decided to survive, no matter how craven it made me look." (story)
Asking - FatherEdit
- "Train with me, Father. I need to be strong to ward off extinction!" (train)
- "Hey, Father! What was life like before I turned up?" (story)
- "Father, do you need anything? I don't know what to get a human father." (gift)
- "Father, you sneeze a lot around me. Are you allergic to taguel?" (concern)
Replying - FatherEdit
- "More brothers and sisters with taguel ears! An entire RACE depends on it!" (gift)
- "Worried I'll go extinct, huh? Well, at least I have you to protect me." (concern)
- "The future was the same as now, as far as I'm concerned - death around every corner! And I would climb trees or dig holes to get away from it. When you think about it, I've gotten a lot braver. Now, I actually stand and fight!" (story)
- "F-f-fight? Well, all right. But promise you won't kill me off!" (train)
Asking - MarriedEdit
- "(Name), I seriously love you. ...Almost more than life itself!" (love)
- "You know, you would look stunning in rabbit ears... Not that you're not stunning now!" (compliment)
- "Don't get hurt out there (Name). I'd die from grief, and thus ends the taguel!" (promise)
- "What have you got there, (Name)? I hear something jingling." (gift)
Replying - MarriedEdit
- "I love you, too. I'd hop to your rescue in a taguel heartbeat!" (love)
- "You think? Then I'd better be extra careful not to kick the bucket!" (compliment)
- "Don't worry I'm a lot hardier than I let on. I've got a whole race to keep alive." (promise)
- "This? It's a Taguel good-luck charm. I got it to keep you safe." (gift)
Asking - ChildEdit
- "Morgan, should I buy you bunny ears so you feel like you fit in? ...No? What, then?" (gift)
- "Morgan, let's train together. If you turn out to be stronger, you have to protect me!" (train)
- "What was your future like, Morgan? Were there other bunn...I mean, taguel?" (story)
Replying - ChildEdit
- "Anything I want? All right...will you wear bunny ears, since you didn't inherit mine?" (gift)
- "Oh my gods! It's happening! I'm going extinct! Think of something, Morgan!" (concern)
- "Oh, I just lived in fear of annihilation. The usual stuff... But you have taguel blood! No bunny ears, but you're still one of us! That is such a relief. ...Wait, no it's not! Now I have to worry about two people! Aaaugh!" (story)
- "The future of the taguel is lookin' bright!" (6+ stats up)
- "Maybe now I can stop being quite so anxious." (4-5 stats up)
- "Yes! I'm actually getting better!" (2-3 stats up)
- "Ack! If I don't pick up the pace, I'm extinct!" (0-1 stat up)
- "I'm the toughest taguel in the world! By default." (0-1 stat up, most stats capped)
- "I hope you're watching this, Mother!"
- "Something to keep me safe and sound, if you please." (buying)
- "With each item sold, my sense of unease grows." (selling)
- "Make it as strong as humanely possible!" (forging)
- "Agh! I've been stung by a bee! The last seconds of my life have begun! Nooo!" (misc)
- "Wow! What is it about today? I never felt this good in the future." (surge)
- "Aaah! Avatar! Don't startle me first thing in the morning." (morning)
- "Aaah! Avatar! You almost made me jump out of my pelt." (midday)
- "Aaah! Go easy, Avatar. I thought extinction was upon me." (evening)
- "Aaargh! Avatar! Stay in your tent instead of scaring me!" (night)
- "Happy birthday, Avatar!" (birthday)
Greetings - MarriedEdit
- "Hello, Avatar. Today's goal is to not go extinct." (morning)
- "Hello, Avatar. I'm glad we're alive, but the day isn't over." (midday)
- "Hello, Avatar. I'm glad we both made it to nightfall." (evening)
- "Hello, Avatar. We'd better sleep before something kills us." (night)
- "Happy birthday, Avatar! We should celebrate!" (birthday)
Greetings - ChildEdit
- "Aaah! Sheesh, Father. Don't startle me first thing in the morning." (morning)
- "Aaah! ...Sheesh, Father. You almost made me jump out of my pelt." (midday)
- "Aaah! Go easy, Father. I thought my extinction was upon me." (evening)
- "Aaargh! Father! Can't you stay in your tent instead of scaring me?" (night)
- "Happy birthday, Father! Don't make it your last."" (birthday)
Panne's future son. Terrified that his race (i.e., himself) will go extinct, he has become a colossal coward -- but he might put himself out on a limb for a comrade's sake. The loudest talker. Born on March 14th.
An enigmatic taguel who fears for his species (i.e., himself).
“I love you! Let's repopulate my species! ...Uh, sorry. Was that awkward...?”
—Yarne's confession quote.
“You’re going to be okay, right? ...I need you to keep me safe.”
—Yarne's final chapter quote.
“H-holy moly! I might make it outta here alive after all!”
—Yarne's quote after Grima was defeated by Chrom.
“You should have told me this was troubling you. I'll never stop fighting for you, no matter how many folks try to kill me!”
—Yarne reassuring the Avatar for their choice if he is her husband.
“Daddy, you're all right! Oh, please don't leave me again! Everyone out here is trying to kill me, you know!”
—Yarne reassuring the Avatar for their choice if he is his son.
“All this death... No more! Please, you've... You've got to come back...”
—Yarne's quote after the Avatar's sacrifice of killing Grima
The Golden Gaffe Pre-BattleEdit
“Eek! What the heck are you? I don't have any gold! We taguel only store up food! Ye gods, am I going to meet my doom over the pocket change of others?!”
—Yarne's pre-battle quote.
EXPonential Growth Pre-BattleEdit
“Eek! They look even tougher up close... Y-you're a taguel-slayer, are you? Trying to make me extinct, is that it? Well... Y-YOU FIRST!”
—Yarne's pre-battle quote
Infinite Regalia Pre-BattleEdit
“Is one of you a taguel? I sense a presence not unlike my mother's... B-but no. That's not possible. I suppose it's just a relief to see someone beat extinction for a change.”
—Yarne's pre-battle quote
Death's Embrace Pre-BattleEdit
“Eek! Wh-what are you doing?! D-don't make me fight you! I'm a craven, not a killer! M-maybe one of my friends could help you instead? You're not listening, are you... F-fine, then - let's just make this quick!”
—Yarne's pre-battle quote.
Five-Anna Firefight Pre-BattleEdit
“Hey! Those poor Annas are completely defenseless out there! Extinction's bad too, b-but at least I have the option of fighting back... All right, no more hesitation... It's time to show you what a taguel's made of!”
—Yarne's pre-battle quote.
Roster Rescue Pre-BattleEdit
“I m-must reclaim that roster! The pride of the taguel depends on it! If it leaked out that a taguel still existed, I'd be on every hunter's most-wanted list... They'd be after my fur, my meat... Ugh! I'm too young to be someone's lunch!”
—Yarne's pre-battle quote.
Summer Scramble Pre-BattleEdit
“H-hey, d-don't come any closer! I'm casting off heat like a campfire! Look at me! The sun is scorching, and I'm covered in fur. It's NOT pleasant! J-just stay away! If I get any hotter, I could combust and kill us both!”
—Yarne's pre-battle quote.
Hot-Spring Scramble Pre-BattleEdit
“Bwaaah! A R-Risen just emerged from the steam! Here I thought I'd finally get a nice quiet day to relax and enjoy myself... L-look, I'm afraid I may slip and drown, so can we fight this out nice and slow?”
—Yarne's pre-battle quote.
- "My foot's good luck!"
- "It's all you!"
- "Don't let me die!"
- "Don't eat me!"
- "Uuhhh! Bad guys!"
- "Please win..."
- "You got this!"
- "I'll... Just watch."
- "I'm too young to go extinct!"
- "I'm with you."
- "Take this!"
- "Wide open!"
- "And stay down!"
- "Bunny kick!"
- "Hey, that could've hurt!"
- "Made it!"
Partner Defeated EnemyEdit
- "You saved my race!"
- "You're a life saver!"
- "Hey thanks!"
- "Hey! I'm alive!
- "Wait...I won?!"
- "Is it over?"
- "Don't mess with a bunny!"
- "I'm gonna end you!"
- "No, YOU go extinct!"
- "I've got sharp, pointy teeth!"
Defeated By EnemyEdit
“So this is...extinction...”
—Yarne's death quote in Paralogue 13
“And so a race...goes extinct...”
—Yarne's death quote after recruitment (classic mode)
“C-can't let my race...go extinct... Must retreat...while I still can!”
—Yarne's retreat quote after recruitment (casual mode)
“I don't care if I die out... But please...not the others...”
—Future Yarne's death quote in The Future Past 2
- Yarne - Timid Taguel
- Yarne traveled the world in search of a safer haven, a journey that was ironically fraught with danger. Nevertheless, he said to have beaten his fears and lived to a ripe old age.
- Yarne and the Avatar
- Many wrote of Avatar's legendary exploits, but accounts of her origins and character varied. Scholars, poets, and bards agreed on one thing alone—she loved her husband, Yarne, above all else.
- Yarne and Lucina
- Yarne tried desperately to find a safe haven after the battles were done, but even that journey was fraught with danger, especially since Lucina was quick to dash to the rescue of every stranger.
- Yarne and Kjelle
- Yarne tried desperately to find a safe haven after the battles were done, but even that journey was fraught with danger, especially as Kjelle insisted on facing every foe to better herself as a warrior.
- Yarne and Cynthia
- Yarne tried desperately to find a safe haven after the battles were done, but even that journey was fraught with danger, especially as Cynthia wouldn't stop challenging brigands in the name of justice.
- Yarne and Severa
- Yarne tried desperately to find a safe haven after the battles were done, but even that journey was fraught with danger, especially as Severa continued to take on dangerous jobs to make ends meet.
- Yarne and Morgan
- Yarne tried desperately to find a safe haven after the battles were done. While Morgan's memory never returned, she didn't really seem to miss it, and the two lived out their days happily.
- Yarne and Noire
- Yarne tried desperately to find a safe haven after the battles were done, but even that journey was fraught with danger...despite Noire's best attempt to steer them out of trouble.
- Yarne and Nah
- Yarne tried desperately to find a safe haven after the battles were done. While Nah endeavored to steer them clear of trouble, they soon realized the best place was Ylisse, where their journey began.
Both of his English and Japanese names also compliment his mother's (Panne and Velvet, respectively), as they are commonly used materials.
- Yarne, for some reason, will not inherit the Wyvern Rider class from his mother despite the fact that the class is for both genders. He inherits the Barbarian related classes instead, indicating that Panne may have originally supposed to have the female only Pegasus Knight or Troubadour as an option. However, if his father also has the Wyvern Rider class, then he is not barred from the class.
- Yarne's birthday is the same day Fire Emblem Gaiden was first released in Japan and the same day Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn was first released in Europe. It is also on the same day as White Day, a holiday celebrated in Japan and other countries that is very similar to Valentine's Day.
- Yarne was voted the second least popular male character in the Fire Emblem: Awakening Character Popularity Poll in Japan.
- Yarne's English voice actor, Chris Smith, is also one of the three male Avatar's voices.
- He also shares his Japanese voice actor, Daisuke Endo, with Vaike.
- Unlike the other children, only a tuft on Yarne's hair inherits a color from his father. The rest of his hair always stays black, no matter who his father is.
- The rest of his hair does appear in a slightly different color in his confession CG however; which depending on the tuft color will typically range from varying shades of black to dark brown.
- Since Panne's reclassing options are gender neutral, Yarne is the only male child character who cannot inherit any skills from a female-only class. He shares this trait (albeit gender flipped) with Lucina.
- Yarne's Critical Hit quote "I've got sharp, pointy teeth!" is likely a reference to the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".