“I had... I had an important girlfriend before. We couldn't be together because of...complicated reasons... But even now I still think about her. I can't get her out of my mind.”
—Zihark talking to Brom in a support conversation
Zihark (ツイハーク Tsuihāku) is a playable character in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. He was a citizen of Daein during The Mad King's War. He was first encountered as a recruitable enemy in Path of Radiance, and later returned in Chapter 1-5 of Radiant Dawn, fighting against the Begnion Occupational Army.
Not much is known of Zihark's past, other than that he was born in Daein, and that he eventually fell in love with a laguz of the beast tribe, despite his homeland's prejudice towards the laguz. However, their relationship did not last, as the stress of being in a forbidden relationship proved too much for her (she was killed in the Japanese version). Despite the premature ending of their relationship, Zihark felt no desire to enter another relationship, and spent his time as a travelling mercenary to aid other Laguz. Zihark was previously assumed by many to be Branded, as that would explain his attachment to Laguz. It is revealed in a battle conversation with Izuka, as well as many supports, that Zihark's attachment with laguz is attributed solely to his past relationship.
Zihark first met the Greil Mercenaries while they were trying to board Nasir's ship. Daein troops had blocked the harbor, and Zihark joined the fight along with a small group of vigilantes. Shortly before the battle, he had a conversation with the vigilante leader to determine if any Laguz were fighting with the Greil Mercenaries. When he saw Lethe and Mordecai, he talked to them and joined the Mercenaries, Ike deeming him to be trustworthy despite having "personal reasons he would not like to share" (this being his past relationship with a Laguz).
After the events of Path of Radiance, Zihark traveled to Daein. In Daein, he joined with Tauroneo and Jill to fight for the restoration of Daein. He is first seen helping Tauroneo and Jill protect the place where Prince Pelleas was hiding. He then joined the Daein Liberation Army along with them. After the Liberation of Daein, he stayed in Daein, helping with the reconstruction.
When the Daein Army goes to fight against the Laguz Alliance, Zihark is at a loss. He wants to fight for his country, but he does not want to fight against the Laguz. He can be recruited to the Laguz Alliance by Mordecai or Lethe. He can also be recruited by Ilyana and Brom if they had an A support in Path of Radiance.
After the last battle, he travels Tellius as a mercenary resolving Beorc-Laguz disputes. It is said that he settled in Gallia. If he talked with either Lethe or Mordecai in the chapter "A Reason to Fight", he would join the enemy team.
Although he is a citizen of Daein, he dislikes the way the laguz are treated by his nation. He is a brave and kind man, speaking politely to Meg when she came up to speak to him. However, he became quite flustered when Meg claimed that they were getting married. He is also friendly with her father, Brom. It is also shown that he flirts with Ilyana in the chapter that he first appears in, either that or he is just engaging in playful banter, which also confused her, not understanding what he said. He is also very true to his friends, as shown when he joins the Ike's army after talking with Lethe or Mordecai and also Ilyana if they had a support in Path of Radiance.
Sword - C
- See also: Zihark/Supports
Promotion to Swordmaster
- HP: +4
- Strength: +1
- Magic: +2
- Skill: +2
- Speed: +2
- Defense: +2
- Resistance: +2
- Con: +1
- Move: +1
- Cap: +5
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Endgame|
◎=Forced ○=Available □=Available for selected
*Zihark is only available in these chapters if he is recruited over to the Greil Mercenaries in 3-7.
**If Zihark is recruited over to the Greil Mercenaries in 3-6 or 3-7, he will not be available for these chapters.
Sword - A
|Item Required||Promoted Class|
|( Master Crown)||Trueblade|
In Path of Radiance, Zihark is a rather powerful unit to have. He starts at a higher level than Mia, has the very effective Earth affinity, and has a Killing Edge. If trained, his Speed, Skill, and occasionally Strength will cap, making him a terror offensively. He can be a bit frail, though his high HP helps balance that a bit. Just give him a good support and he will dodge most attacks anyway.
Radiant Dawn lowers Zihark's physical stats, giving him the Strength and Defense growths on par with most Mages in the game. However, his decent bases, partnered with his Earth affinity, and generous Skill and Speed, will allow him to dodge most attacks directed at him, and retaliate with frequent Adept triggers.
Sword - B
*Enemy only; joins unequipped
- Blade of Unity - Zihark
Zihark traveled Tellius as a mercenary, resolving Beorc-Laguz disputes. Some say he eventually settled in Gallia.
Path of RadianceEdit
- Lethe: Grrrr! Die, human!
- Zihark: Hold on! Please! ...I am not an enemy to laguz.
- Lethe: L-laguz...? How do you...
- Zihark: I joined this vigilante group because I knew it would afford me a chance to help you flee. Listen, I'll distract the townspeople. While they're worried about me, you can make good yours escape.
- Lethe: I cannot trust the word of a human.
- Zihark: ...I see. Well, if I cut down these vigilantes, will you believe me?
- Lethe: Huh?
- Zihark: One? Two? All of them? How many do you want? Just give the word and I'll start the cutting!
- Lethe: Hssss! Quiet! Why, why would you...
- Zihark: I want to help you. ...That's all.
- Lethe:... I see... You're not an enemy. That much I'll believe...
- Zihark: Thank you. Now, you must hurry away from this place.
- Lethe: No, I cannot flee. I have fr-friends that I must board a ship with.
- Zihark: Will you not desist? It's much too dangerous. The vigilantes and the Daeins want nothing more than to kill laguz!
- Lethe: I'm not leaving.
- Zihark: I see... If that's your stance, then I've no choice.
- Lethe: Hm?
- Zihark: I will join your group.
- Lethe: Don't, don't be ridiculous!
- Zihark: What's your name?
- Lethe: I am Lethe, but--
- Zihark: That's a good name.
- Lethe: That's beside the point! You--
- Zihark: I am Zihark. Well met, Lethe! Whoops! I don't think we have time for formal introductions. Let's hurry!
- Lethe: H-hold it! I have not agreed to this!
- Zihark: Ah!
- Mordecai: You are a vigilante. We must avoid vigilantes. You should flee.
- Zihark: You would speak so to the vigilante group that's hunting you? You're kind laguz, aren't you?
- Mordecai: Hm? My word are not good. You must go quickly.
- Zihark: No, you are the one who should flee. Leave the rest to me. I'll confuse the townsfolk and give you time to run.
- Mordecai: What? Why?
- Zihark: I don't want to see any laguz harmed, so I joined these vigilantes as a double agent.
- Mordecai: Hmm...? I am confused. But... you do not smell like an enemy. Our group must get that ship. We are taking it to Begnion.
- Zihark: Will you desist? It's much too dangerous. The vigilantes and the Daeins desire nothing more than to kill laguz!
- Mordecai: Even so, we will go.
- Zihark: I see... If that's your stance, then I've no choice.
- Mordecai: ...
- Zihark: I will join in your group.
- Mordecai: You will betray your friends?
- Zihark: I told you, they're not my friends. I am an ally to the laguz. What? you need proof? There!
- Mordecai: Why do you drop your blade? That bright metal tool is your only fang.
- Zihark: I want you believe me. ...Please. You must believe me.
- Mordecai: ... I believe you. I am Mordecai warrior of Gallia. Who are you?
- Zihark: I am Zihark. Well met, Mordecai! Whoops! I don't think we have time for formal introductions. Let's hurry!
- Mordecai: You, I know...
- Zihark: Mordecai... I never expected us to meet like this, on opposite sides...
- Mordecai: Ah! Zee...eehark! Hm... No, that not it. Sorry. Mordecai says your name not right. Not right yet.
- Zihark: But...
- Mordecai: Zeehork? Zeehar-ack? Zi...hark? Ahh! That is good! Zi-hark!
- Zihark: Mordecai... Don't you understand? We're now--
- Mordecai: I know. Mordecai is your friend. Allies we are. It does not matter who we fight for.
- Zihark: But--
- Mordecai: You have no fang or tail, but you are a beast brother, Zee-hark! Hmm... No. Mordecai forgets again. Sorry.
- Zihark: Hey, don't worry about it. I've got it! I'll go with you. That way, you'll get my name right in no time.
- Mordecai: Ah! Good idea! Mordecai likes this idea.
- Lethe: Zihark!
- Zihark: Lethe...
- Lethe: You defeated me last time, but this time it'll be different. Prepare yourself!
- Zihark: You won't surrender?
- Lethe: I am a soldier. I will fight to my death.
- Zihark: ...I knew you'd say that. Then I'm coming with you. I'm at your service, Lethe. Just like old times, yeah?
- Lethe: What?! Why?
- Zihark: The Daein soldiers call this war "the sub-human hunt." You know I hate that word. I believed that Daein would change. Or at least I used to. But now... I can't just stand by. This war is the last straw. I can't fight for Daein anymore.
- Lethe: ...You may not have claws, but I think your soul is more laguz than beorc. Welcome to our tribe, Zihark.
“So this is the...end. Now...I go...to...”
—Zihark's death quote in Path of Radiance
“I guess this...is the end... of the line...for me... ... Thank you. I'll...be waiting...”
—Zihark's death quote in Radiant Dawn
Zihark is illustrated in the trading card game Fire Emblem Cipher with the following cards:
Zahhak' is a character in the Persian poem 'Shāhnāma' by Ferdowsi, written in approximately 1000 A.D.. The character has its sources in early Iranian mythology as 'Aži Dahāka.' In the poem, Zahhak is a handsome, good person who is easily swayed by evil counselors, particularly a character named 'Ahriman,' who first convinces Zahhak to kill his father to gain the throne. Gradually, through Ahriman's influence, Zahhak becomes more and more evil and corrupted. It is interesting, though, that Zihark from the games seems to follow the opposite progression, growing up in a prejudiced and cruel country whose influence he later successfully rejects.
As a note, 'Deros' in the below trivia is equivalent to 'Delos,' which is the Greek island where Leto gave birth to Apollo and Artemis.
- An early picture shows Ike fighting a "Deros" (possibly later named Daein) soldier. That soldier bears a resemblance to Zihark, as well as being equipped with a Killing Edge.
- In Radiant Dawn, if the player chooses to fight Zihark with Ilyana, Zihark will not fight back, regardless of his support level with her.
- Zihark, along with Edward, are the only two characters that can reach a SS weapon rank as a second tier unit.
- Though Zihark's girlfriend left from pressure in the English version, the original Japanese version does not elaborate on what happened to her. The artbook confirms that she was killed.
- In Awakening, Zihark claims that he is from the Toha Vigilantes, despite the fact that he was never loyal to them, and only fought for them during one chapter out of both the games he appeared in.
- Zihark is one of the few recruited units who can defect from the player's side to the enemy side when chosen to speak with the enemy, with Jill being the other.