Zoa (ゾーア Zōa) is a location from TearRing Saga: Utna Heroes Saga. It is a region on the continent of Lieberia whose original inhabitants have many descendants, both full-blooded and those who are mixed with other races.
The people of Zoa are the natives of the northern area of Lieberia. After Princess Miradona of the extinct Emiyu race arrived to sleep within the ground, her four servants told the Zoans about the fabled dark god Gerxel, whom they made up. This resulted in the Zoans coming to the underground temple in which Miradona slept to worship Gerxel.
When settlers from the continent of Jugd came to establish a settlement in Lieberia, the people of Zoa quickly became in conflict with them. Fearing the growing power of the settlers, the Zoans launched an attack against the then newly established Republic of Reeve, beginning a war between the two sides. After the Reevan official Denoas conquered all of the native clans, the Zoan leader Kalbazan drank Miradona's blood and became the dark dragon known as Gerxel. Afterwards, he established the Zoa Empire and attempted to conquer all of Lieberia. However, the empire was destroyed by the hero Garlon and the heroine Utna, who worked together to slay Gerxel.
For the next generations, the Zoans were confined to the Valley of Zoa and Il Island. After the destruction of Leda, the Zoans residing in the valley began a large-scale revolution with Gwenchaos as their leader. They eventually formed the Theocracy of Gerxel, consisting of several areas in Leda. Thirty five years prior to the game's events, the Zoans on Il Island, led by Yoda, revolted against Reeve and defeated many of the armies it sent to stop them. When the Gerxel Church under Pontiff Gwenchaos began to threaten the peace on Lieberia, King Bahanuke of Canaan declared war on it. In response, Gwenchaos sent the young witch Karla to become Bahanuke's concubine and manipulate him. Many years later, Bahanuke invaded the neighboring Kingdom of Barge, as well as Reeve. He also signed a peace treaty with the Gerxel Church and declared the restoration of the Zoa Empire.
Eventually, the four heroes (Runan, Holmes, Sennet, and Tia) rise up against the Zoa Empire and begin interfering with the Gerxel Church's schemes. Some time after the fall of Canaan, Sennet declares the dissolution of the Zoa Empire.
The people of Zoa were initially divided into clans. The clan leaders, known as Diabolists, conducted the education and sacrificial rituals. Unlike the Jugdians, who had an advanced civilization, the Zoans were barbaric. They have traditionally worshiped the mythical dark god Gerxel, who is said to incinerate all non-believers and cowards with its purgatorial flames. Due to the teachings of Gerxel that permit only Zoans to exist, they are aggressive towards all outsiders. For generations, the Zoans have been persecuted by the people of Reeve, who hunt and publicly burn them at the stake.
Known People from ZoaEdit
- Karla - A witch of Zoa posing as Bahanuke's concubine.
- Zeek - A dark knight of Zoa and Karla's younger brother.
- Dagon - A cruel and powerful priest of the Gerxel Church.
- Doruk - A priest of the Gerxel Church attempting to capture Katri.
- Mahoba - The Demon Summoner of the Gerxel Church.
- Bal - A priest of the Gerxel Church guarding the ☆Seiken Salia.
- Nefka - A priest of the Gerxel Church guarding the ☆Seiken Reeve.
- Ebrel - A priest of the Gerxel Church who is ordered to stop Runan's army.
- Yoda - The Dark Swordmaster of Zoa leading Il Island's residents.
- Julia - The daughter of Yoda and Shigen's adopted sister.
- Shigen - One of the Sea Lion Pirates and Karla's son, born as Theo.
- Sierra - A witch who defected from Zoa and a friend of Shigen.
- Temsin - A former soldier of Zoa who is now the king of Arial.